It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monkey, Hominid, or HOAX?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Someone please tell me if this is a hoax or not.
It happened in 1930 so I don't know what to believe.

Click on the link to see the story along with photo

www.anomalies-unlimited.com...

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Dr. Francois de Loys Ape Woman has never really been debunked nor proven as the only proof was the photgragh thyat had been taken as well as Dr. Francois de Loys and his team's vouchsafes. One of the biggest detractors of the photgraph is that there is no indication of the sizerof the creature,The creature has the characteristics of both the spider monkey as well as babboon.
Dr. Francois de Loys stated that they wanted to bring the corpse out of the jungle but due to it's size and weight could not.
There has been a great deal of speculation that it may be a cousin of Yeti or Sasquatch
www.n2.net...

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I saw a programme a couple of years ago, that investigated the evidence of the Loys Ape.
I think the creators of the documentary located the chest or luggage box that the ape is sitting on and so calculated the ape's height and weight.
I believe they decided it was a Spider monkey.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 01:31 PM
link   
deffinitly a spider monkey, location is right, not hard to find in the jungle if your looking, and they sometimes are aggresive if you seem to cause a threat, i believe it was misproved a while ago wasnt it?

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 01:45 PM
link   
This article says it's a hoax :

Ivan T. Sanderson, respected Fortean researcher and author of several books on the subject, also finds fault in Montandon’s claim. Sanderson writes in his book, Abominable Snowmen: Legend Come To Life, "...this picture produced by Dr. Francios de Loys is obviously that of a spider monkey...". After calculating the creatures actual size, he goes on to say, "Thus this animal, with its head poked up to an unnatural degree by a stick, measures about 27 inches. This is a fair-sized spider monkey but not even a large one. The original photograph is not just a case of mistaken identity; it is an outright hoax, and an obnoxious one at that, being a deliberate deception..."

The whole "only one picture survived" seems to be one of those stories designed to add credence to a fraud.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Yeah, look at the length of the arms. They're about the same size as the legs. Plus the feet have opposeable thumbs like the hands. That thing didn't walk upright.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by PeanutButterJellyTime
Yeah, look at the length of the arms. They're about the same size as the legs. Plus the feet have opposeable thumbs like the hands. That thing didn't walk upright.

I have read alot about this possible cryptid, but you made some excellent observations there. I go with the spider monkey/ hoax theory now.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   
just because someone has a degree and says its a hoax doesnt mean he is right.before swallowin everything whole why dont you try chewing first.

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Definately a spider monkey, and the chest/box it's sitting on is not that large as you can see from the size of the hardware. Tilting the head back makes it look strange, but the coat pattern and hands and feet are definately spider monkey.

There were some explorers who sensationalized their own stories (and made up adventures) in order to sell their books. Heck, you should see some of the lies that Davy Crockett made up in his newspapers!

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   
ya its just a spidermonkey

nothing special about that , aside the fact the De Loys guy tried to sensationalize it by saying "Its like a spidermonkey but its different !"

lol
its funny because i always looked at that photo as a
dead monkey

like i said nothing special about this case

i believe i read somewhere that before they killed the monkey it was 'pooping' in its hands and throwing the feces at the people

i can believe that too; as it would be a awesome way to gross people out and scare them away from your "territory"

monkeys ...

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 07:14 PM
link   

The female was killed while the male fled into the bush.

Well...

I'm not going to argue on whether it is a Spider monkey or not, but that part of the article is wrong ( unless anatomy is different in monkeys than in humans
), in this photo the ape/monkey it is a male...

www.cryptozoology.com...

[edit on 15-4-2005 by Jedi_Master]

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I don't think it is a Spider Monkey, for a few reasons:
I spent time today looking all over the web at Spider Monkeys and none look like that.
The size does seem too large.
And another thing, which does sound odd...the penis is too large shown in the last picture, to what was exlained on several sites I visit.

Either it was a freak Spider Monkey or it was a new species?

But the Amazon is so large, we find new creatures in there fairly often - in time we'll know.

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I'm not sure how to answer that one, but I'm not going to spend all day looking at spider monkey penises to find out...

[edit on 17-4-2005 by PeanutButterJellyTime]

new topics

top topics

join