It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wisconsin Considers Legalizing Cat Hunting

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 05:28 AM
link   
I have no objection as long as we can be allowed to hunt the hunters!

Let's level the playing field a bit.

Give them a taste of their own medicine.

Let them feel as frightened as they make defenseless animals feel.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Where this is wrong is in the application of "hunters" via the fish and wildlife license division.

Sort of like factfinder38 was saying, if wild cats are on your property and some reasonable concern could be established (chicken houses, rabbit coops, etc.) shoot 'em, trap 'em, poison 'em... anything you want to do.

Nobody gets in trouble for protecting their farm. It's always been like that, always should be.

But licensing "hunters" to go off on park land and "hunt" cats? That's just stupid. I can't even believe a real hunter wouldn't be offended by the concept. This is going to be teens with pellet guns and beer shooting at the neighbors cats.

Stupid, stupid idea.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 09:00 AM
link   
How inhumane is this? It is one thing for animal control to pick up problematic strays and euthanize them quickly. It is quite another to allow people to shoot any cat on the street--potentially just wounding the cat and causing the animal great pain and a slow death. What a dumb idea.

Most animal control centers will hold cats in case they got away from their owners--where is that option here? It's not like the cat can put it's paws up and tell the guy with the gun that he or she escaped out the bathroom window chasing some invisible bug and got a little lost.

There have been times when moronic contractors have come into my apartment and left the front door open against my orders, and I've come home to find my cats roaming the halls. Its a good thing that they can't reach the elevator buttons.

I was in the airport a few weeks ago and a woman lost control of her terrified cat when she had to take it out of the carrier to go through security. This was a "domestic cat not directly under the owners control"--should the TSA agents have shot this cat too? For all we know, it could have been a terrorist...

Accidents happen and while some cats that roam the streets may be a problem, some are not. I can't imagine that any hunter is going to feel good about themselves after they have shot up a little girl's lost kitten or a family pet that the has been missing for a few weeks. Cats are curious--they run away. This is why there are public and private animal control & protection societies in every community.

Considering that there are so many sick people out there--like kids that have no qualms about killing animals for fun--this law is just carte blanche to torture cats. This is a bad idea conceived by sadistic people.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
What about wild humans? How many animals do humans kill a year? We should legalize hunting humans.

I swear, wtf is wrong with people? "Gee, I don't like cats, I should be allowed to go to a pet store and shoot all the cats."

I agree 110%, and im not a three hugger(not saing you are James).

Its open season on wild humans.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowMan
Every year in Wisconsin alone, an estimated 2 million wild cats kill 47 million to 139 million songbirds, according to state officials. Despite the astounding numbers, Smith's plan has been met with fierce opposition from cat lovers.
[edit on 12-4-2005 by ShadowMan]

What kind of a dumb reason is that? "Oh no! Cats are killing birds. We need to end this cruelty now!" Seriously, if the best reason these "hunters" can give for wanting to shoot cats is that they kill a lot of birds, they don't deserve to be called hunters.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   
why is an animals life more valuable or deserving of more protection because its cute ? save the deer !

and the hunters won't be stalking the burbs, they hunt feral cats in the wilderness...

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Being an owner of 4 of the little terrors myself, I am suprisingly OK with this. Wild cats can multiply like rabbits, carry desease, and cause all sorts of trouble.

I think its a creative way to control the population and wont cost the government much. And for all you bleeding heart furry critter lovers out there: They wont be dying any less brutaly than they would at the pound.

So, from a guy that loves animals (2 dogs, 4 cats, and 2 parakeets) I give this a thumbs up.

[edit on 13-4-2005 by skippytjc]

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT

Stupid, stupid idea.

I could be wrong on this Rant but I believe the problem is that they have multiplied to the point that they are playing havoc on the "natural" balance. We have basically introduced an unnatural predator into the environment which COULD be wreaking upsetting the system. They MIGHT be causing problems not only on the bird population but also among those that normally prey on them. I would like to see any studies that back this up before I make a judgment call one way or the other.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Civil44
I worked at an animal hospital for awhile and really. We put down more strays a day than I could count. Were allready killing mass amount of cats and dogs daily. Were just clogging up kennels with them waiting to be put down.

I mean its the truth but whats it matter if there shot or injected with "Kill-All"(the actual name of the syrum we used)? Plus they wouldnt allow hunting within city limits so it would only be feral cats in the wilderness. They are deffinatly not domestic and if you think so youve never handled a feral cat before...You dont touch those whirling balls of fur and claws with ten foot poles man.

An excellent post! Makes total sense to me.

People kill mice and don't think twice. Hell, McDonalds serves burgers made of slaughtered cows.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   
As long as this was confined to not being within city limits, or another's property (in a rural area), I'd be fine with it (and I'm a cat lover, I own 3 of the little monsters).

Though why any hunter would wish to kill a cat is beyond me. Personally, I'd only hunt an animal I intend to kill, eat, and use it's fur/antlers, etc. Hunting for sport is against my personal beliefs, but I don't think it should be illegal.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
As long as this was confined to not being within city limits, or another's property (in a rural area), I'd be fine with it (and I'm a cat lover, I own 3 of the little monsters).

Though why any hunter would wish to kill a cat is beyond me. Personally, I'd only hunt an animal I intend to kill, eat, and use it's fur/antlers, etc. Hunting for sport is against my personal beliefs, but I don't think it should be illegal.

(a) in certain Asian countries people eat cats, so it's not a big stretch
(b) they can be certainly used for fur

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 05:10 PM
link   
yeah well I got stray kids in my yard all the time and they do alot more than wander though minding their own business unlike the poor defensless animal.

Imagine the outcry if I whipped out an AK47 and took care of business.
well my cats are like my children to me and although I try to keep them in my yard and they have always behaved I tell my neighbours to put the hose on them if they bother them.

I wouldn't mind turning the hose on their brats, might teach them a lesson, but that would be 'cruel' of course.

Ahh the joys of living in a society.

I think it's absolutely disgusting, we are not talking about humane culling of wild animals here, we are talking about cruel violence for the gratification for a minority ( well I hope so anyway) of poeple with no self control.

First we domesticate these poor animals for companionship and to give us unconditional love , then we breed and breed them for millions of unwanted kittens cause ' we want to see the cute babies', rip out their claws for so they don't scratch the precious sofa, then when they piddle on the carpet we chuck them out and dump them like garbage.

This just makes me sick the way animals are once again mistreated and used like disposable items for our convenience.

It isn't just the animal who suffers, what of those who are emotionally attached to said unlucky kitty who happens to wander into the crosshairs of little Jimmy's 22?

I tell you it times like this I wouldn't mind exacting a little biblical revenge, the old 'eye for an eye' but I'd like to think I'm a litle above that.

Please excuse me now while I go cuddle my kitties and let them know just how much I really appreciate and love them.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Slayer

Every year in Wisconsin alone, an estimated 2 million wild cats kill 47 million to 139 million songbirds, according to state officials. Despite the astounding numbers, Smith's plan has been met with fierce opposition from cat lovers.

What kind of a dumb reason is that? "Oh no! Cats are killing birds. We need to end this cruelty now!" Seriously, if the best reason these "hunters" can give for wanting to shoot cats is that they kill a lot of birds, they don't deserve to be called hunters.

Please note that i didnt say that and it was just in the story, i agree its a stupid idea and im glad rant can back me up on this

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 06:05 PM
link   
The hunters would'nt be hunting in the city limits thats illegal. It would be in the wilderness. Its not inhumane the country has to many cats as it is thats why we euthanize so many of them. If theres an overpopulation then this is a way to fix it without using money and resources through the animal hospitals and such. Its an easy way to solve a budget problem.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Back when I hunted, it was a rare kitty cat that would survive a stroll in the wilderness during hunting season. Hunters would just as soon shoot them as they would swat a mosquito. And give it about as much thought.

But then, people were careful to keep their pets under control during hunting season if they cared about them.

Cats in the wilderness are going to get shot whether or not there is a law for/against it. And the statement someone made about teenagers with pellet guns and beer, well that's always going to be happening also.

I don't believe in cruelty to animals, but IMO cruelty includes letting your pet wander uncontrolled.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Why not? They should set up a hunting season, just as any other animal has. If there is an overabundance, then it is time to shoot a few of them. A few years ago, I may have been shocked to see such an idea, but after a friend of mine from Bangladesh told me of the wild dog problem they have over there, I'm much at ease at this story. You can cut back on the population by allowing people to kill the cats at set up times during the year. At this time, make sure all your cats are safe at home.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Slayer

It's the same as any invasive species. The fact that they are destroying nests and killing off nesting sities, is destroying the ecosystem. Personally, I don't think it will make that much difference in wild domestic cat populations, however if it helps the nesting sites then it should be considered.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Well mankind seems to be pretty darn destructive on the environment and sucking the planet dry of resouces. They seem to be reaching plague proportions in some areas and yet the population increases unchecked. Perhaps it time for a cull there too.

Of course I not advocating genocide, I'm just putting some perspective on things - that your opinion on issues is dependent on your viewpoint.
Like when you watch a Lion documentary, you cheer the Lion on in his quest to kill the Antelope. Next week the show is about the Antelope and you cheer when the Lion doesn't catch him, it all depends on where you looking from.

I like to think I'm a reasonable person and I do see the unfortunate need for necessary culling in a humane way for some species to survive.

However what I do object to is that mankind seems to have no problems destrying in the planet in so many millions of ways but of course proclaiming that they are saving the environment by killing some cats, deers, bears or whatever is flavour of the month.

I do not agree with having the deer killed in my area for daring to eat my neighbours plants in his yard - despite the fact that it backs onto a national park and he is too cheap to errect a fence, why should he when it's so much easier to just shoot the deer.

To me it bites but looks like I'm in the humble minority these days.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join