It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Long term Petrol storage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I've heard about products that can be added to petrol to increase its shelf life to 10years. I'm wondering has anyone here tried anything like that? I think it would be a good idea to stock up a reasonable amount of fuel now, for use later on when the prices go through the roof and everyone is trying to leave the cities.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Try THIS LINK

Lots of information on search engines about gasoline/petrol storage and shelf life.

Here is one pretty good article

And I'm sure you will find many more.

I think a better plan would be to seek alternative modes of transportation and sustinence, rather than stockpile gas or oil. If you have a large quantity of gas/oil stored up, I would suspect people will be willing to attack/steal/kill to get possession of it (making it very risky, and potentially useless to stockpile), if their lives are being interrupted to a degree that they are fleeing cities. But that's just my opinion.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I was after members experiances with such products, not a smartass answer.

Alternative modes of transport are acceptable for day to day use, but for a quick exit a car with a supply of useable fuel would be the most desirable option. Loose lips sink ships. Dont tell anyone about the hidden supply of fuel and its unlikely that anyone will know its there

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 01:33 PM
link   
LOL! Touchy aren't we?

While I don't have a personal experience to share, I do believe the article I linked you to explained how to extend shelf life 5-10 years, which is what you asked about.

As for storage for when the Shtuf Hits The Fan, at least you have a plan, which is more than most people can say. It's not the plan I have, but to each their own.

When do you plan to start this storage, and how much fuel do you think you will need? How long do you plan on it lasting? What will you do when the fuel is gone? I wasn't saying it's a bad idea to store fuel, but I think other options will be more efficient, safe, and sustanable.

If your stuck on the stockpile and hope for the best method, so be it. I would suggest you start soon, because it doesn't seem like anybody knows exactly when the Shtuf will hit the fan, so you don't want to start too late. Best of luck to you, whatever you decide, at least your thinking about it.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   
yeah i dont know about the shelf life thing. What i did hear was that by 2050(best case) only the rich countries can afford gas. Increasing the difference between rich and poor.
Short term we are fine. As a whole we need to develop a cheap renewable resource to power our means of transportation. Cold fusion if attained would be a great way to produce power for eveyday things. Though you can not convert it to a vehicle. The best chance i see is that we need to develop solar powered cars. We need to develop them so they can store enough energy to power the vehicle even if it is cloudy for a while.

top topics

join