It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A wing with variable geometry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 08:00 AM
link   
This isn't about a wing that can only change it's angle but also it's area.
Ufortunetly I'm searching for it on the google right now and the only link I can give you is this one:
www.allstar.fiu.edu...

And I'm sure that this is only one concept for doing it, so the reason for me to post this was to ask for more info on the topic (if anyone knows anything)

[edit on 12-4-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 12:15 PM
link   
What advantages does this suppose to give?

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by tomcat ha
What advantages does this suppose to give?

"Two fabric airfoils are rolled on a drum and driven in and out on tracks that run from fuselage to wingtip. This tensile skin is designed to maximize lift at low speeds."

In other words it's a less expensive and complex alternative to swing-wings.

It's just another simple, yet effective invention for creating lift, like the fanwing.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I hope they don't use this on fighters and that they only use this on drones. I don’t want our fighters to be equipped with freaking sail fabric to use as wings.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I doubt that'll happen, WestPoint, the poor fabric, no matter how tough, would undoubtedly rip while going that fast and pulling those G's. =\

Besides, the plane would have to be subsonic if the wings just stick out like the U-2, and the fabric would be withdrawn when there's enough speed after takeoff.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Variable wing area might be good but I don't like the fabric on a roller idea. Why not have wings on the fuselage that can stick out or withdraw.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Taishyou
Variable wing area might be good but I don't like the fabric on a roller idea. Why not have wings on the fuselage that can stick out or withdraw.

That's basically what the swing-wing design does, in a different manner. At least with the fabric, it'd be easier to maintain, less complex, and would be easier to replace.

new topics

top topics

join