It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aerospace engineers?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2003 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Are any members aerospace engineers? If so what are you working on?

posted on Jul, 22 2003 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I am an Aerospace Engineer. Right now I'm working in a really weird "stuff" kind of way. I am managing a project that concerns collecting data on a fairly bizarre acting substance and using that data to produce a tool for utilizing the substance in applications.

Why do you ask?

Are you an A.E.? If so, what are you working on?

[Edited on 23-7-2003 by Valhall]

posted on Jul, 24 2003 @ 07:45 PM
link   
....though I am studying for my MEng degree in AE and I am a mechanical engineer.

I was just curious as to the type of work that was out there.

posted on Jul, 24 2003 @ 09:53 PM
link   
So you are going for a Mechanical Engineering degree with an aero option?

Does you school only offer this instead of a full-fledge Aero Degree? (I'm asking because I know quite a few schools are that way. For instace, OSU here in Oklahoma only does the ME with AE option because they have a "mechanical and areospace engineering department" instead of two separate groups.

There are a lot of things to do. You can go into straight mechanical, hydraulics, gas flow, straight aero (but you'll be competing against straight aeros), NASA...you name it.

What year are you in?

u2u me if you want to talk specifics.

posted on Jul, 25 2003 @ 04:14 AM
link   
I studies Aeronautical engineering for half a year, but it wasn't what I expected it to be...so I quit the study and worked for the rest of the year. I'm not studyng computer-science, totally different, but better for me, less physics, more action.

posted on Jul, 25 2003 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Well, with your love for aviation, you might fill in your technical electives with certain AE courses which would help you work in the aviation industry.

I think I might understand what you mean by AE not being what you expected. I have a feeling you were anxious for the design aspect of the degree. Unfortunately you gotta wade through a lot of stuff to get to the fun! For instance, there is no other engineering degree that requires more math than the AE degree.

[Edited on 25-7-2003 by Valhall]

posted on Jul, 25 2003 @ 03:01 PM
link   
yup exaclty. I was getting bored of calculating the life-time of bearings, I seriously had to do that.
Also, I had to learn all the ins and outs of bolts; different sizes, types...ect...

I did indeed enjoy the designing classes, when we needed to make a technical drawing of a small part of a Fokker-50 undercarrage, that was a challange.

posted on Aug, 2 2003 @ 09:18 PM
link   
This seems like a good spot to pose a question with AE looking at this thread.

Space Shuttle,

23 years ago I was given a vision of an inpending disaster with a shuttle blowing up. I was also shown a new design and would like feedback if that's OK.

Current design will not allow escape at ground zero plus 10 feet, not fast enough or high enough to do much.

Now the design comes from looking at the treasure of King Tut and an artifact looking more like the shuttle, which I can't find today. It took the crew section and turned it into a LIFE POD so on take off or decent those riding could have choices to overcome death. Computer upgrades would only ground the Pod not the entire shuttle, along with any other improvements. I sent a model to then President Regan, and also wrote a letter to President Bush on the risk of doing business as usual over at Nasa.
What Nasa has given to the shuttle for escape is nothing more than the "SHAFT" which they call telescopic pole.

Lets see if I can describe what the shuttle should look like then tell me if it sound flight worthy,

Take current design and like a fish cut off the crew section (head of the fish) , then strecth the section where the robotic arm is controled by 12 feet. On the end and bottom place a landing wheel to hold up the bird. Place an airliner type door on the side for entry into and out of the shuttle. Flip the airlock 90 degrees so it looks like a wheel, within a wheel (ezikiel ) or old fashioned telescope so more than 2 people could go out at once.
For the Pod the design is almost a mini me (taken from Austin Powers, does god have a sense of humor) shuttle except the nose section will open and allow a connection to space station or another shuttle. Parachute on top, along with rockets similar to Apollo to pull the crew to safety on launch if needed. The mini me look was for keeping it from tumbling thru the air, and use a proven design on re-entry with the wings helping to stabilize.

I'm working with an artist on trying to put on canvas what I saw, so others can see how we can fight death if those riding are given options.

Michael

top topics

join