It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Markers for Applause..

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Ok, my idea blue light is twirling over my head right now. While I was reading some posts, I noticed the red tag of shame on some members names, and I thought "They should make the same for applause". Maybe like a blue tag to go with the point bonus, plus it lends credibilty to someone whos posts your reading. Plus, maybe (like warns), you get extra bonus or something if you rack up so many in a certain time frame.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Why do you call it "the red tag of shame"?

The only shame I can see with them is when a mod gives one out for petty, trivial "offences".

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Ask The Man Who Doesn't Know

Originally posted by DeltaNine
The only shame I can see with them is when a mod gives one out for petty, trivial "offences".

DeltaNine, what could you possibly know about shame? As far as I can tell, you don't even know the meaning of the word.

Which is why I am such a fan of yours.

And I still love the immortal line: "You can take my points, but you will never take my FREEDOM!"

Indeed, just so.

Public Attaboy Stickers

As for applause labels, well maybe, I guess, but I find it gratifying enough when I get an applause now and then, and see no need for a public display.

Opinions may reasonably vary, of course.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Shame? I know no meaning of this word, as you state.

Back on topic, how long would the applause tag last for? If you're a bloody good poster (or in on it) you might run out of room?

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 02:44 AM
link   
DeltaNine, your avatar cracks me up everytime i look at it. That thing is awesome.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 02:45 AM
link   
I dont know. Same as warnings, maybe 72 hours. It would lend credence to someone your reading. If its a huge post and theyve got a couple tags, youll know its quality, plus it will encourage better over all post quality.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Yeah, if we have the "tag of shame" it is only fair to have a "tag of fame" too.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 02:52 AM
link   
I think I'm on to something here...whoever said marijuana kills braincells is nuts. It couldnt be that hard. Same as warning someone. I notice an unusual silence from the mods. Hmmm.. probably scared of more work for free...lol.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Time Dilation

Originally posted by spliff4020
I notice an unusual silence from the mods. Hmmm.. probably scared of more work for free...lol.

Um, dude, it's only been less than an hour. Most mods probably haven't even seen this thread yet, let alone had time to think about it.

Party on.

[edit on 4/12/2005 by Majic]

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 03:16 AM
link   
true dat, true dat...most are probably in an alcohol induced coma..

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 03:27 AM
link   
I like the idea of blue tags. The only thing I would change is that general membership could give out blue tags say 3 a month. Dont leave it up to the mods they have enough to do as it is . If a member thinks a mod is doing a good job then we can give him/her a blue tag.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 03:33 AM
link   
The idea has been tossed around in one form or another for a while.

The last post in this page
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Tells me that S.O. has, at least pondered the thought.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
The idea has been tossed around in one form or another for a while.

The last post in this page

Tells me that S.O. has, at least pondered the thought.

He has. We have. Alot. As it comes up. Alot. That was (looking) March 2004? It's come up alot since then too.

Never say never, but it's darn doubtful (at least any time soon).

As of now, your bar turns redder for all to see as you accumulate applause (see Majic's above, and Spacedoubt's is getting a little pink too
). Your points go up. Your name shows up on ATS recently applauded when you get one (which takes all of one click on "search all posts" to find most recent posts by contributor). And I would think that if it's not obvious which post got the applause by just looking, it could possibly make even less sense if directly linked.

Applause happen for more than just a singular objective stand out post that can be linked. Short of the context (or a small essay by each applauding mod), it'll rarely make sense and just breed drama.

The member getting the applause knows though. That's what's important.

But don't discount the outward acknowledgement of red bars, points and the recent applause list entirely.

Front Page of ATS Recent Applause (as of now): Broadsword20068 WestPoint23 Ryanp5555 Ryanp5555 poonchang Duzey Duzey paperclip paperclip Hal9000 Off_The_Street Terapin

When you see those, it should tell you something.

Ah! paperclip is getting a little pink too I see.

[edit on 12-4-2005 by RANT]

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 07:46 AM
link   
So it's a blush-meter?

Funny thing though...

Since we mods can't be applauded, most just send a friendly "atta-boy" U2U, and those mean far more to me than any tag or point reward...

Anyhoo, I think Rant has spelled it out pretty well...

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 07:59 AM
link   
As for an applause badge on their profile lending credence to a member's posts, well that's bollocks, just as seeing a warn on their profile does not devalue their other posts. Every post by every member, moderator or administrator should be taken on its individual merits.

A member gets an applause and then posts a racist comment a day later - does the applause lend credence to the racist comment? No.

A member with a warn for calling someone an idiot, later posts a fantastically researched expose on a government secret - does that mean we should deride and ignore their post? No.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Blush Bar?

Oh wow, I never knew that about the "reddening points bar". Well whaddaya know.

And here I thought it was just red because people were mad at me.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT

Ah! paperclip is getting a little pink too I see.

Yeah, I am slightly blushing

Anyways, I got a question:
I know mods can't get an aplause but can they get warns?

Can they warn themselves?!

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by paperclip
Anyways, I got a question:
I know mods can't get an aplause but can they get warns?

Can they warn themselves?!

Oh yeah. Colonel racked 'em up. I think I've seen Kano figure out how to warn himself too.

Told him he'd go blind if he kept doing that.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Here's a good reason for the applause function being set up as it is, rather than being like the warning buttons:

John Bull said:

Warnings have been found to be more effective if they are between the warned member and staff.Warnings are not meant to be a form of public castigation.The purpose is not to mark a member down but to show that staff are serious.Some attention seeking members seemed to think that getting as many warns as possible showed how "bad" they were.That has stopped.

The applause function is a matter of individual staff opinion.Members who are applauded know they have been applauded.As Wordwatcher said you can always ask the applauded member.Some members might complain about why so-and-so's post was applauded and their one was not when it is not a science it is just an opinion of staff.Turning an pleasant opportunity for staff to pat members on the back into a pain in the butt.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Hear, Hear!

I think John Bull said it quite well.

It is good, in my opinion, for moderators to be able to give the occasional pat on the back without having to worry about it turning into some sort of childish squabble on the part of ATS members that, well, can be a bit childish at times.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join