It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crime against Sesame Street

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 12:57 AM
link   
The blue-furred muppet who used to sing "C is for Cookie" will now tell viewers that "A Cookie is a Sometimes Food".

Each episode of the show's new series will begin with a "health tip" about healthy foods and physical activity.

A Sesame Street representative said the popular character would be "broadening his eating habits" in future.
source

This is utter crap TV dosnt decide what a parents feed there kids TV dosnt force parents to feed there kids junk food?
When are people going to grow up ?
You dont need to give young children junk they dont know junk food tastes like untill you give it to them.

Dosnt occur to anyone that kids are happy to eat provided you feed them junk food?
Whats wrong with having junk food as treat at family outings instead of serving junk food at meal times?

Kids care more about Big Bird then carrots.
Shouldnt healthly eating be targeted at parents? After all they feed there kids not TV.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Uhh I hate to break it too you but Sasame Street has always been an educational program and that they are even broaching the topic
to the writers and producers bout time I say.

Of course the onus is still on the parents to let thier children watch that show and of course if it was your children who loved that show I guess then you would not want them watching it now?

I guess we should also ban anti-smoking ads too hmm? The unhealthyness of both are somewhat comporable...actually I would rather die of smoking then any wieght related diseases, good thing I have an Ultra-high metabolism.

Kids care more about Big Bird then carrots.
Shouldnt healthly eating be targeted at parents? After all they feed there kids not TV.

Both IMHO. There is a future health crises looming and education is really the best way to avoid it. Bottom-Up approach sounds very good to me.

[edit on 12-4-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 02:56 AM
link   
First of anti smoking adds are just that the ads havnt hijacked a TV show.
sardion2000 you are confusing personal responsablity with education. Education is teaching kids how to count to ten educatioin isnt hijacking a much loved kids show because parents wont take responablity for what they feed there kids.

I agree education is the right answer but hijacking a kids TV show with an agenda is a pretty poor idea.
Why not inform expecting parents at pre- natal classes about a healthy diet for there kids? People wouldnt like that because they would have to take responsablity for raising there kids.
Young children only know what there parents feed if you feed a kid junk food and sit him/her in front of Sesame Streets healthy eating message of course the kid is going to get fat what do you expect?

Given a choice between an apple and a choc biscuit no kid is going to choose the apple thats why parents must choose what they feed there kids.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 12:34 AM
link   
The cookie monster has lost the battle with health-food monsters. It just doesn't make sense as that's what the cookie monster does - frightenly eat a lot of cookies. Why not create health-food monster which say cookie are sometimes a food. That make more sense. Kids need to have boundaries of good and bad, and these are set in media. Ever heard the phrase "don't be a cookie monster and get you hand out of the jar!"?

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 12:01 AM
link   
once again im at a loss at how lazy and irresponsible some parents are.
i had my first child in 1980 and second in 1981 third in 1986 and all of them were sesame street viewers through of course me.(the parent) i loved the show and when cookie monster would gobble all those cookies and some would fall out almost whole we all laughed. its tv - yes it does teach basic counting and abc skills but it is still tv- as a parent i chose to feed my children good food and good snacks because they are growing entities and need that, not junk food, but i also allowed some desserts, etc. the answer to almost everything in life is MODERATION. poor cookie monster going cold turkey is hard!!!!!!!!!!!!!

top topics

join