It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pictures - Sweden Shows China the Gripen

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Errr??

Does Sweden know something we don't?

Is the EU going to lift the embargo?

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 05:12 AM
link   
To show does not mean to sell. But in the future...

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by matej
To show does not mean to sell. But in the future...

I dont think they would be showing planes to the worlds next superpower for fun.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I dunno why China would want the Gripen unless the Swedes are trying to sell elements of it. The advanced electronics or radar perhaps.

I doubt China would buy the whole plane given it's internal developments.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 09:17 AM
link   
The plane's not bad..
The swedes won't be able to sell though..
They'll succumb to US pressure..

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3
The plane's not bad..
The swedes won't be able to sell though..
They'll succumb to US pressure..

I reckon they might, not through the proper channels.

Some tech transfers, a few electronics here and there, some undisclosed brown bags.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Man those Chinese are all over the place, they are trying to buy and get everything that is available. But perhaps we will see a reverse engineered Gripen in the future.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 07:41 AM
link   
The US recently got in a state over the fact that the univeristy down the road from me was selling China a weather satellite which they claimed was a spy satellit........oh dear, most people would call that paranoia. It's a bloody university

(Will try to find article some time)

D

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Man those Chinese are all over the place, they are trying to buy and get everything that is available. But perhaps we will see a reverse engineered Gripen in the future.

Well, it's their method of learning, and they have a hell of a long way to catch up if they want to be a military superpower as well as an economic superpower in the near future.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Yah, it will take at least a decade for china to catch the train the US-EU took in technology...

Though, I think that reverse-engeenering the Grippen is much harder than RE a SU-30mk for their Marine!

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 08:43 AM
link   
The Swedes are selling and the U.S. can object all it wants, but it won't make a difference. China is a larger and more important trade partner for the future for Sweden than the states.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Well it's probably just a military exchange. Our flyheads have been visiting foreign airforces for ages. And it tends to be custom to spend some time climbing planes and listening to brag-presentations on how good they/we are..

People are not trying to sell stuff everytime someone in a foreign uniform is visiting a ship or hangar.. (ok there's no way I'm gramatically correct in that sentence but you get the drift..)

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I am concerned that China will just buy ''a bit of everything'' so it can reverse engineer and catch up to the west in tech. It will not take them long with the amount of scientists they potentially have locked up in a 1BN+ population.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Realist05
The Swedes are selling and the U.S. can object all it wants, but it won't make a difference. China is a larger and more important trade partner for the future for Sweden than the states.

I think you take american arm twisting much to complacently...
The amount of influence the US has over the scandanavian states and those itsy bitsy east european countries is phenomenal..
I've seen it with my own eyes..

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by ufo3
I am concerned that China will just buy ''a bit of everything'' so it can reverse engineer and catch up to the west in tech. It will not take them long with the amount of scientists they potentially have locked up in a 1BN+ population.

Why would China need to lock up scientists?

China is paying huge sums of money to ex-soviet scientists to work on the space program and others.

I see the Gripen visit as a friendly military visit, mabye with some electronics sales in mind. But remember, the U.S carrier Abraham Lincoln ported at Hong Kong recently, and the flagship of the 7th fleet also visited China a week ago.

Military exchanges happen.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 07:05 AM
link   
So? The Grippen has been shown to every country who sent representatives to Sweeden.

Sorry to burst any bubbles, but the fact that the Grippen is chalk full of American components, engine, etc., and that American companies have a significant (majority?) share in Saab will see that no Grippen ever makes its way to the PRC.

Cheers,
Raj

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by rajkhalsa2004
Sorry to burst any bubbles, but the fact that the Grippen is chalk full of American components, engine, etc., and that American companies have a significant (majority?) share in Saab will see that no Grippen ever makes its way to the PRC.

Your talking about GM right?

I thought GM only owns the motoring aspect of Saab and has nothing to do with it's non-car businesses.

As for the engine, the Grippen uses a Volvo engine which is Swedish. It also uses electronics produced by BAE, a British company.

Wheres the American connection?

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I don't know about motor companies but the political clout the US hold over these scandanavian countries is massive...

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 11:43 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

have a read - the engine is made by volvo - but is based upon the F404

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by rapier28
It also uses electronics produced by BAE, a British company.

Wheres the American connection?

BAE has too much buiness in the States to risk by selling stuff to the Chinese.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join