It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mormons baptizing Jews, posthumously

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by petey_pongo23
Does anyone know anything about Baptism by Proxy? The way some of you people talk it seems like you have a belief that actual corpses are being used (I say this in the most joking manner possible, but seriously). From what I understand, the dead that are the reason for the Baptism by Proxy have a CHOICE. If they choose not to be baptized (wherever they may be), then it's null and void. Or, they can accept it. Maybe you'll have a choice to make this decision in the next life, and if the LDS religion is true, then I hope that you do get that chance. If not, then what's hurt?

I'm a Mormon. In the baptisms for the dead, no dead bodies are used. It's a ceremony in the temple where people 'stand in' for the deceased. Basically, the person proxying for the deceased goes into a baptismal font, a melchizedek priesthood holder says a prayer, then dunks the person in the water (baptism by immersion).

Petey has the idea exactly right, as we believe it. We aren't forcing anything on the deceased. Think of it as unlocking a door for them. They can then choose whether or not to step through that door. Either the Mormon religion is true (in which case we are doing them a huge favor) or it isn't (in which case we are getting ourselves wet for nothing).

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I was once temple worthy and participated in a Baptism for the Dead service. I believe that there were 10 names performed with myself as the proxy. That was the most amazing feeling that I had since my own baptism, and later when those same 10 names were offered the Gift of the Holy Ghost, the feeling was back for a second trip through my body. Once I clean up for a year, that'll be the first place I go back.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
you guys are stupid the receipents of the baptism for the dead can either accept it or deny it as they please. plus its fun cause you get to go in the temple and do it and usually get ice cream after

Mod Note: Terms & Conditions Of Use – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 13-6-2008 by DontTreadOnMe]

new topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join