Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

The clock is ticking in Sumatra

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 11:54 AM
link   
The link you posted isn't available to the public, but I did notice that there was a lot of activity in just the last 2 days in the area you were speaking of.
www.iris.edu...

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Well it seems that is a super volcano in the area called the Toba caldera.

The last time that it erupted was about 74,000 years ago. At that time it blew 670 cubic miles of ash into the air, or about 3,000 times as much as Mt. St. Helens in 1980. The eruption buried most of India under ash. Sunlight was so diminished that, at the end of the first six years of climate cooling, a thousand-year ice age began.

This is a link to the picture where the Calderal is located along side the Sumatra fall line.

www.huttoncommentaries.com...

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 02:08 PM
link   
On plates 'breaking' in two, thats what rifting is. Africa is currently breaking in two. The great rift valley, the persian gulf, the dead sea, all are part of a fault system. Its a slow process.

There are going to be many more earthquakes around sumatra/indonesia. Its an earthquake prone region. Whats more, while people are focusing on that region, there aregoing to be large destructive earthquakes elsewhere.

Here is an article on the non-tsunami maker, and here is a paper on the geology and structure of it.

Given that the level of activity in this part of the world following the December 26th has not only NOT decreased but perhaps even increased it raises the very real possibility that a) the plate will collapse or b) that one of the areas volcanos will blow.

THer is absolutely nothing to support that statement. Its not a scientific statement. There is no reason to think that earthquakes there should decrease, and there is no surprise over it 'increasing'.
Also, plate collapse? These aren't rifts, these are plate margins.
There is no reason to worry about something 'historic' happening.

[edit on 12-4-2005 by Nygdan]

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbates
The link you posted isn't available to the public, but I did notice that there was a lot of activity in just the last 2 days in the area you were speaking of.
www.iris.edu...

Whose link is not available to the public?

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib

Originally posted by dbates
www.iris.edu...

Whose link is not available to the public?

The first one in the initial post by Indy. Iris has apparently put restrictions on that particular page...

EDIT: which apparently has been lifted again. I can access it now, I couldn´t before. It told me it was restricted to Scientists only (or something similar)...

This one: www.iris.edu...

[edit on 2005/4/12 by Hellmutt]

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 11:49 PM
link   
anyone see this yet

www.cnn.com...

a volcano is starting to erupt in sumatra. i dont know much about this one it maybe just a small one.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by jaso109
anyone see this yet

www.cnn.com...

a volcano is starting to erupt in sumatra. i dont know much about this one it maybe just a small one.

Mt Talang is minor compared to Lake Tobas Caldera... Hopefully, as someone has stated previously, Talang will serve as a vent to release any pressure that may be building up.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by jaso109
anyone see this yet
www.cnn.com...

Yes I mentioned this eruption on page 1.
I haven´t seen CNN´s coverage of it though...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I certainly wouldn't be surprised if this does evolve into a geologic cataclysm the likes of which we've never seen in historical times.

When Yellowstone and/or TOBA decides to erupt again, it will be an earth moving event on the grandest scale! Both are 'now' poised for the ultimate blast. The real question is which one will go first? One or more 'big' earthquakes on the sumatra fault zone and my bet is on TOBA! Yellowstone erupting anytime soon thereafter would be a 'bonus'.

Mag10

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Trouble On The Way

Although I'm the Prophet Who Can't See The Future (so take that for what it's worth), I'm also “picking up the vibes” -- although I am very vague and reluctant to specify dates for what I think are good reasons.

Aside from Sumatra, I'm expecting major problems all around the “Ring of Fire”, as well as places not usually associated with earthquakes.

Aside from the shaking and damage therefrom, and of course, the dreaded tsunamis, I am also anticipating many cases of “ill winds” -- poisonous clouds -- sweeping out from many of these areas a killing lots of people and animals -- and even destroying forests and other vegetation. Additionally, lots of sea kills. Lots of sea kills.

This is may or may not be the start of that, I don't know.

But if my “spidey sense” isn't complete hokum, I think we'll be seeing some events toward the end of this year that will leave little room for doubt in the minds of most people in the world that something “prophetic” is going on.

Time will tell.

For what it's worth, however, despite the apparent “doom and gloom”, I'm actually very optimistic that things will turn out very, very nicely in the end. ^
^

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I agree with you Magic, prophetic in a way that ancient people probably saw and survived some of this major earth changes, but doomsday by God prophetic I will not bet on that.

The truth is that our earth is due for some major climatic and topographical changes, we humans are all over the earth and we will be doom in the process with prophetic meaning, but our planet will keep on living.

Sumatra has about 100 active volcanoes, if all these volcanoes erupt due to the major activity in the area, I will say that we will have prophetic type of earth changes that will affect all of us.

But while some my blame it on doomsday I will see it as just one of earth ever changing phase.

Religious groups will have a good one on something like that if it happen.

The key will be to prepare to ride the wave and see if we can survived, humans has survived quite a few of these events before, that is why we know about it in the way of prophecies.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 08:42 AM
link   
"The Morning of the 26th is the death and rebirth of the Sun Celebrated in Ancient Babylon by a torchlight procession, and human sacrifice to Marduk hence we have Christmas Cakes and Trees with Candles on them.

To Sun Worshippers the 26/12/ is a very important day

It is no coincidence that the Satanic Illuminati released Nikola Tesla Technology on Iran 26/12/2003 (earthquake) and the Bandeh Aceh region 26/12/2004(tsunami)."

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   
A plate breaking into two seperate segments in not collapsing, tectonic plates do not collapse. Yes the break up, they subduct, but they don't collapse!!

Also this paper is nearly 10 years old!! The paper basically argues that a zone which was originally thought to be the result of intraplate stess, is actually better suited if it is thought as a descrete seperate plate boundary. This paper is not cataclismic prediction.

On the issue of it being better for there to be lots of smaller quakes on a regular basis, then one large one, then I am correct. After having such a big earhquake on the 26th, then things will take a while to settle down. It is perfectly normal to have the number of earthquakes in this region, it is one of the most tectonically active regions in the world!!

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 01:15 PM
link   
After reading page two of this post I'm glad to see that some people i.e Nygdan are talking sense.

He is right in the fact that nothing historic is happening, everybody is just focussed on this area because of the media coverage. What is being seen in sumatra and the surrounding region is nothing geologically unusual.

Reading down some of the other posts with people prognasticating about all the 100 volcanoes on sumatra erupting and various other things, this is all untrue.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Nothing historic is happening? Two quakes over 8.7 in the same general region barely 3 months apart. Want to rethink your comment?

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 04:55 PM
link   
[sarcasm]

There´s nothing to see here. Everything happening these days in this region is quite normal. There is nothing historic about this at all. You can all go back to sleep again now...

[/sarcasm]

[edit on 2005/4/13 by Hellmutt]

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rock Hunter

He is right in the fact that nothing historic is happening, everybody is just focussed on this area because of the media coverage. What is being seen in sumatra and the surrounding region is nothing geologically unusual.

I know people who live in sumatra, and people who regularly visit there... They all pretty much concur that lately there has been alot more siesmic activity than usual since the boxing day earthquake. One family who live on the coast (thankfully none died in the Tsunami) have evacuated their house no less than 5 times since then due to earthquakes and the fear of another Tsunami.

So this is not normal at all, in fact it is quite abnormal... and although it may not be anything to worry about... I'd rather be safe than sorry on this one (not that theres any way to be safe if Toba goes off)

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
Want to rethink your comment?

Nope.

specialasianX
So this is not normal at all, in fact it is quite abnormal

No, its not abnormal. It normal. To bags of flesh that walk around for 80 some odd years, sure, it might seem bizzare. To the planet? No, earthquakes are not abnormal, even two big ones in a region.

neic.usgs.gov...

here this year's information
neic.usgs.gov...

Notice, there've been, what, three? The average is twenty. There's going to be a bunch nore that are 'big'.

Also note, with data from 1900 on, there is on average One 8 and above earthquake a year. This year, there've been two. Hell, there might even be another. Is that apocalyptically abnormal?

also look at this article, which asks, Are Earthquakes really on the Rise?

Also notice
neic.usgs.gov...

In '95 and '96, there were two. There weren't any in '99 or '02.

The tsunami generator got everyone's attention. Now, people who've never seen the printout from a seismograph are noticing that there are a lot of earthquakes in that region.

Yes, there are a lot of earthquakes. There've been lots of earthquakes, and there will be lots of earthquakes. But there is nothing that reasonably says that something weird is happening.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Damn You And Your Vulcan Logic!

Originally posted by Nygdan
Yes, there are a lot of earthquakes. There've been lots of earthquakes, and there will be lots of earthquakes. But there is nothing that reasonably says that something weird is happening.

100% agreed.

Earthquakes happen all the time. Public awareness of earthquakes waxes and wanes.

Speaking as I am from the "lunatic section", I wanted to clarify that Nygdan's observations agree with mine and represent a reasonable and informed approach to the topic.

Hardly unusual for Nygdan.

In terms of my "blind prophecy", however, I anticipate unusual things coming.

I don't expect anyone to necessarily believe that just because I'm saying it. In fact, I prefer the opposite: skepticism.

That's particularly important because I don't know myself if I'm on to something or just self-deluded.

Time will tell.

Meanwhile, I'll keep meditating and, from time to time, commenting on what I "see" in my meditations, because hey, you never know.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 07:59 PM
link   
What about something out of left field, all the way across the ring of fire................................
The Cascadia Subduction zone?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join