It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Robots will replace child camel jockeys in UAE

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Robot jockeys are set to replace children in the most popular sport in the United Arab Emirates, camel racing. This effort comes as criticism mount over the use of children, some as young as 4 in the sport. Many of the children are smuggled from countries like Bangladesh and Pakistan. last month the UAE passed a law for jockeys to be at least 16 years of age and weigh in at least 45 kilogram.

story.news.yahoo.com
DUBAI (AFP) - The United Arab Emirates is to mount robot jockeys on racing camels later this year after a ban on using children in the region's popular sport.

It will become the second Gulf Arab state, after Qatar, to use robots and ban child jockeys following criticism that infants, some as young as four, were being brought in from poor countries to race the camels.

The UAE's first robot jockey exercise has been successfully carried out in the capital, Abu Dhabi, according to media reports this week which also said that the first robots would be produced in August, ready for use in the next camel racing season.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I will be the first to admit that my knowledge of camel (or horse racing for that matter) is thin. however, I thought that they handicapped the racers anyway? At any rate its best that this practice be stopped as what happens to the children when they become to big to race? its similar to a Greyhound no doubt, they are discarded at best.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 08:46 AM
link   
well, any rider knows that the less the rider weights, the faster and farther the mount will go. All you need is a few people willing to lower the ethical bar and you end up getting 2 year old dwarves being jockies.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Well it's a step in the right direction, stopping the explotation of children for 'sport'. Now they just have to get robot camels.

There.. I'm quite proud of myself, I managed to write a serious response without once using the words "Arab Camel Jockeys" and bursting into gails of laughter...

oops.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 10:57 AM
link   
This subject was covered on Real Sports by Bryant Gumbal and I have to say, those little guys know how to hang-on.

Seriously though--it's more than the riding that creates the inhumanity. Thoselittle guys are kidnapped or sold by their families and are raped forced to live in squalor, and beaten and left unfed if they don't win, whilesitting in the grandstands are the richestmen in the world.

top topics

join