It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BSE Coverups

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Do you believe that the United States (or other countries for that matter) are covering up cases of BSE (mad cow disease)?

I for one know that it is true. Many "suspicious" cows are never tested. I come from an agriculture background and I know of such stories.

My second question on the fact would be this: What would happen if many dominant beef producing countries all had active cases of BSE at the same time?

If Canada has BSE, and then the United States is determined to have BSE cases along with other countries that produce beef for export, would they either:

a)change the rules and allow export to fill demand
b)not allow export to anyone
c)look to alternative foods

One thing that has plauged me has been the fact that the first case of BSE in Canada that started the whole panic was owned by a former United States farmer.

Im not saying the case was planned, but it does make you think. Someone could easily have planned the industry takedown years ago.

It does take time for the disease to progress.

The group R-CALF, which is now famous for keeping the border closed has been devious in itself. They have bought up numerous cheap cattle in Canada after the fact that the country has BSE and that they determined to cattle "unsafe"

Here are some articles showing that R-CALF bought Canadian cattle cheap after the ban even though they deemed the herds "unsafe"

www.pentictonherald.ca.../03/08

www.meatnews.com...

The ban has been devastating to the cattle produces, and it isnt getting much better. The promised (by president Bush) open border has since been closed until the trial.

Good luck until then.

I say we test every cow we use to slaughter. The cost is only $30 dollars per head and it would be money well spent. The safety of the product would be greatly increased and it would restore confidence. It would also force American cattle to be tested, possibly finding cases of BSE.

In the end, I guess, my question is still this:

Do you think BSE cases have been covered up?

My first post, be kind

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 08:53 PM
link   
BSE and related diseases have been discussed on ATS. From what I have about these diseases there has been at least a cover-up about the seriousness of the issue. The people are not being educated about these diseases.
I think we are only aware of the tip of the iceberg. It seems the US doesn't want to admit it has diseased livestock
, although many other countries have been plagued with sick and dying animals.

Do I think the US government is manipulating the situation with Canadian cattle...yes. I just really don't understand why they seem to want to negatively impact the Canadian economy.

This is a new slant on this subject ... good work.

[edit on 11-4-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 09:00 PM
link   
my cousin is a researcher on Mad Cow and she said that they weren't reporting how serious it is. for instance, they report it at a danger level of 2, when it's really like 8. hey.....once again......they are setting up the final stages of N.W.O.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dulcimer

I say we test every cow we use to slaughter. The cost is only $30 dollars per head and it would be money well spent. The safety of the product would be greatly increased and it would restore confidence. It would also force American cattle to be tested, possibly finding cases of BSE.

In the end, I guess, my question is still this:

Do you think BSE cases have been covered up?

Did the price of the tests go up? When they had that BSE scare in washington I recall they stated it would cost approximately 12.00 per head.

As for a cover up; well I am sure there has to be some for sure, just how much is not really known.

Case in point would be the Canadian farmer who knowingly fed cows products that had been outlawed. That is one cover up for sure.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Did the price of the tests go up? When they had that BSE scare in washington I recall they stated it would cost approximately 12.00 per head.

The point is in order to test the cow, you gotta perform an autopsy, which destroys that particular cow, I believe.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I read somewhere that in Canada 1 in 600 cows are tested for madcow, whereas in the U.S. only 1 in 1700 cows are tested. That would account for finding it in Canada but not in the States...

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000

The point is in order to test the cow, you gotta perform an autopsy, which destroys that particular cow, I believe.

They do not perform and full autopsy they only check certain parts. I believe those parts are the brain and possibly the spinal cord.

I have seen some claims that there might be a new urine test but have not researched that theory.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Really? I was led to believe that the act of testing made the cattle unsuitable for market.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Nope...doesn't make the cattle unsuitable at all. In fact, here in Japan, where we just had our 17th confirmed case of BSE just a few days ago, EVERY cow that goes to slaughter is tested by law. Not quite sure of the Aussie beef that gets imported, but they must be doing some kinda regular testing...unlike that succulent, juicy and prion-rich flesh coming from the land of the not so free anymore.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 12:50 AM
link   
The sad part about the Canadian cases that not many people know is that many of them were from DAIRY cattle, cattle that would be slaughtered. Also, I think in the first case, the feed restrictions had not been in place yet. Meaning it may have contracted the disease before the law was placed.

Currently, actually today, Canadian ranchers launched a 7 billion dollar law suit trying to claim that infected cows from other countries that were lost in "tracking" may have been to blame for our cases.

Im not sure what to think.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Currently, actually today, Canadian ranchers launched a 7 billion dollar law suit trying to claim that infected cows from other countries that were lost in "tracking" may have been to blame for our cases.

I think that is an industry cop-out to deflect responsiblity as there may be instances where the feed ban was outright ignored, allthough some(actually alot) of the responsiblity lies with the regulators, should have been a complete and total feed ban and mandatory testing of all cows from the start
... heck how bout regular tests of the feed farmers use thats where it comes from.

[edit on 12-4-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 01:00 AM
link   
100 percent testing should be used yes.

Canada has learned many lessons from this. One thing is that we rely on the united states far too much.

Currently, actually before the border closure, beef would be sold in canada, shipped to the states for slaughter (thats were many of the plants are) and then shipped back to canada to be sold again (makes sense huh?)

Canada needs to build plants of its own, plain and simple.

Even the american slaughter plants are hurting because they need canadian cattle to continue operation.

A devestating issue, but a lesson in economics and friendship.

Its a sad time when your neighbouring states vote to keep you out.

Its all about money. They say Canadians would be treating americans the same, I guess we will never know...

eh

new topics

join