It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Another American Kidnapped in Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 03:52 PM
link   
In what was once common place, an American contractor working on the reconstruction in Iraq has been kidnapped. The kidnap of foreigners has continued, but few Americans have been kidnapped in the recent past. The latest kidnapping took place in the Baghdad area. No immediate claims of responsibility or demands have been made.

www.foxnews.com
BAGHDAD, Iraq — A U.S. contractor was kidnapped Monday in the Baghdad area, the latest in a string of abductions that have forced many foreigners to work here under armed guard. A pickup truck also exploded near a U.S. convoy as it patrolled a crowded market in the troubled city of Samarra, killing at least three people and injuring more than 20 others, witnesses said.

A U.S. Embassy spokesman speaking on condition of anonymity said the American contractor was working on a reconstruction project and was abducted around midday. He said the contractor's family had been informed, but refused to release any other details.

No group immediately claimed responsibility.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I hope that this kidnapping will end as the recent ones have, with the release of the hostage. Hopefully we will not see another gruesome beheading video.

The fact that the US has so many civilian contractors in Iraq makes these people easy targets for kidnappers. The US should be able to either provide better security for these people, or have the military perform some of the same work, now that much of the security duties have been passed off to the Iraqi Security Forces.

Related News Stories
www.msnbc.msn.com

[edit on 4/11/2005 by phreak_of_nature]

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 01:53 PM
link   
and thanks to political correctness run amok, none of these contractors are allowed to carry a personal sidearm or any sort of weapon, and must make themselves sitting ducks lest we "offend".

Bah. That's the only reason I haven't accepted an offer-besides hating hot weather.
If I am not allowed to provide for my own safety and protection, then I'm not interested.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Having a sidearm would make you less "easy pickin's" But it might also get you dead. That doesn't mean that I don't think they should have the right to arm themselves, it's just a little brutal honesty. If you are attacked by men with guns, and you start shooting they could very easily out number, and over power making for a dead contractor instead of a kidnapped contractor.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Al-Jazeera has aired a video tape of the American contractor kidnapped in Iraq Monday. The man appears behind a desk in the tape which does not include the audio. The man purportedly makes statements asking the US government to withdraw from Iraq, and negotiate with the hostage takers.

www.foxnews.com
BAGHDAD, Iraq — A man believed to be an American contractor who was kidnapped while working in Baghdad was shown in a video broadcast on Al-Jazeera (search) television Wednesday.

The station didn't broadcast the tape's audio, but said the hostage asked the U.S. government to start a dialogue with the Iraqi resistance. It also said the man asked the U.S. government to begin withdrawing from Iraq and to save his life.

The U.S. Embassy said the man in the video appeared to be the same worker abducted on Monday while working on a water treatment plant near Baghdad. Embassy spokesman Bob Callahan said the man's name was Jeffrey Ake. The State Department has not yet confirmed if the man is an American nor has it confirmed that the man is Ake

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Equipment Express In Iraq

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I'm totally at a loss for what to say....

These people baffle the hell out of me.....I think their primary purpose is to further divide our nation: "Susie says they should negotiate and let him go, but I think it's better he dies than our troops withdrawal"....You know what I mean?

No one win's in these situations.....And the fact that it's occurring so frequently these days is a testament to the fact that these people aren't getting the protection they deserve....The protection that any human being deserves from mindless apes who gallivant around chopping heads off and making perverse demands of a nation who's combined might would crush them like an ant if they poked their heads out of their hole for even a millisecond....

Something tells me, these people have all the time in the world - And they're not going to be satisfied until whatever they want is in front of them.....

I say we decoy the bastards and blow 'em straight to hell....As for how - Well....That's not my job....I’ll leave that up to the other mindless apes who gallivant around DC…..

new topics

top topics

join