It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would the US Ever Invade Canada?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Is Manifest Destiny really dead?

As recently as the 1930s, the U.S. had plans to invade Canada. Allegedly, they were scrapped after the Japanese became a threat forcing the Americans to not waste resources on taking over Canada. There were even mock invasions and simulations.

The invasion of Canada also had the approval to use poison gas and civillian bombardment to take over Halifax Harbour.

It's an interesting read if you're into "what if" history...

www.glasnost.de...

Incidentally, I remember reading that Canada had made it's last defense plans against American invasion in 1929.

The reason I bring this up is that recently, George Bush mentioned the amount of oil that the U.S. had, but he apparently (I'm going by a 2nd-hand source...), overstated the amount of oil by 300 billion barrels - which is exactly the amount that Canada has.

Not that I think Bush would invade Canada (he'd be introducing a large number of democrat voters...
), or that most Americans would support it, but do you think that at high government levels it is still seen as an option?

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Manifest Destiny is dead, unless we become an empire with imperial ideas.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Two things which could make us kick Canadian butt: Deprive us of oil, or deprive us of beer.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I am ready to invade Canada for their beer and french women. Canada is selfish with their beer, it is so good that they will not sell it to us in the US. And did I mention french women.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   
On a more serious note, is not reason to invade Canada, they have never been a threat, and why to invade them when US investment companies has been doing that already trough trade.

[edit on 11-4-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   
We will invade anywhere Bush tells us to. If we won't do anything about finding out that all his information that got us in this war is false why would we do anything about anywhere else? He would just say "I thought they had WMD's" How many soldiers died thinking they where there to protect us no one seems to care we re-elect the man

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Ok eh,

Here is a 1935 plan the US had for invaiding Canada:
www.glasnost.de...

(realized later that hey...this link was posted in the topic DUH!!!)

I tried to find a link to a canadian plan to invaide the US too, I remember reading about a plan in the 20's Canada had to take over the great lakes, but cant find anything.

I think one of the main reasons we dont is because they are friendly neighbors, and in the larger picture, they make great early warning for any sort of invasion coming from the north down into the US. They can be viewed as a buffer zone with good beer!

[edit on 11-4-2005 by Darkblade71]

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   
"Would the US Ever Invade Canada?"

My first response is: Why?

My second response is: Hell no!! They have the most deadly WMD of all: Mad cow desease!!!

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Kram, take your mindless rhetoric over to Politics ATS. It was created to keep that crap out of here.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
"Would the US Ever Invade Canada?"

My first response is: Why?

Water is the most logical reason actually. There is lots of it and the U.S. could be running short soon.

Besides, it would likely be a bloodless invasion. Sure some Canadians would be mad, but most would rather be alive as Americans then dead as Canadians. It's not like it would be a drastic change in economic advantage or quality of life.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I doubt there would ever be an invasion. Maybe in the far off future there might be a merger between the 2 countries, but never an all out war. You think the world looks down on america after the invasion of iraq? Just think of the outcry that would happen if america invaded canada for no other reason but resources. Something like that would definately start WW3 as i dont think other peaceful country in the world would just sit back and say "Oh well, sucks to be canada".

Infact, just a month ago the american abassador to canada made a veiled threat when we refused to be part of thier missile defense sheild, something to the tune of "They must not value thier sovereignty", and was promptly fired. Even bush made a comment about this, about how even though he was dissapointed that we didnt want to participate it was our right to refuse. I think this pretty much shows they arent actively thinking about invading canada.

IF the US ever decided to invade canada though, theres not much we alone could do to stop them since we dont have much other than a decent airforce. Our navy and our infantry is awful. We would have to rely on some other country like China or Russia stepping in, either for our benefit, or for thier own.

Though personally i wouldnt mind. The immigration process is friggin difficult for canadians, if they did decide to invade, instant citizenship! Ive been trying for 3 years, the invasion is just the catalyst i need

[edit on 11-4-2005 by AlanSmithee]

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   
So I can't talk about a political conspiracy on the political conspiracy forum that makes alot of sence.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 05:04 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I sure hope that the US doesnt invade us.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 05:14 PM
link   
The only "invasion" I could see would be that of a trade war. Canada is the United States largest trade parter. A trade war could bring on some hostility.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure the last time Americans invaded Canada, we burned down the Whitehouse in the war of 1812; immortalized by the great "Arrogant Worms!"

Oh... we... fired our guns, but the Yankees kept-a coming,
There wasn’t quite as many as there was a while ago.
We fired once more and the Yankees started running,
Down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico, oh, oh....
They ran through the snow and they ran through the forest,
They ran through the bushes where the beavers wouldn’t go.
They ran so fast, they forgot to take their culture,
Back to America, and Gulf and Texaco

arrogant-worms.lyrics-songs.com...

Don't wanna mess with us!

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   
with help from Britain of course.

Plus they burnt the entire city of Toronto.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 06:08 PM
link   
We didn't take the Toronto torching that well, I guess. And now we have our mighty military in readiness. We'll repel them with our state of the art subs, our copters and our tank if they make the first move again!

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 06:20 PM
link   

but most would rather be alive as Americans then dead as Canadians

I somehow doubt that, and I for one would rather die Canadian. I'm not saying that being American is bad, its just like how Americans (or anyone for that matter) wouldnt want to be forced to be turned into [Insert Nationality Here].

Anyway yeah, I still think that high up in the gov't somewhere there are those who still wish for Manifest Destiny to be carried out fully. I just hope it doesn't, but just incase I think Canada should invest in some EMP bombs or something.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 07:57 PM
link   
well in risk no ones ever been able to take canada away from me, but in real life if the U.S. did try and take over us most other coutries would fight to defend us.... and well burn down the whiute house again

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join