It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American contractor kidnapped in Iraq..Breaking.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 01:48 PM
link   
CNN.com reports:

BREAKING:
"An American contractor was kidnapped at a Baghdad construction site today, a U.S. Embassy official said. Details soon"

Anybody else have anything on this Yet?

*fixed caps lock in title*

[edit on 11-4-2005 by dbates]

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Not good,

Just checked out reauters and they have a little on this not much but heres a link so you can keep updated

(Reuters)

Embassy spokesman Bob Callaghan said the contractor who was working on a reconstruction project was kidnapped in the greater Baghdad area. CNN said relatives of the unidentified contractor had been notified. No further details were immediately available.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I wonder if this guy is a 'building' contractor or a merc?

Apparently mercs get reported as 'contractors'. Indeed, they are contractors.

Also, just to be clear, I'm not trying to denigrate this guys situation, its terrible, hopefully he will end up ok. Hopefully.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 02:12 PM
link   
BBC News also has a little bit on it. I sometimes find the BBC World News to be a little more in depth, so as the situation unfolds, you might want to check BBC as well...

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I wouldnt go to Iraq for anything in the world right now. Let alone cash. They could offer me 5 times my salary and the answer would be no way.

Just not worth it.

Well, I would go if my country made.....er....asked me to I guess.

[edit on 11-4-2005 by skippytjc]

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Yes I saw the news on CNN and the family has been notify. I wonder why with all the tragic events falling upon foreigners specially Americans contractors in Iraq, I wonder why the big companies like Haliburto keeps taking Americans to Iraq.

Why not hiring Iraqis to be the ones to do the rebuilding of their country and pay them the outrageous pay check I bet they will be more than happy to work.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Thats odd

CNN.com dropped the "BREAKING" ticker regarding this, but with no follow up story. In my experience they only do this when the story didnt turn out to be true. I wonder whats up?

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
I wouldnt go to Iraq for anything in the world right now. Let alone cash. They could offer me 5 times my salary and the answer would be no way.

Just not worth it.

Well, I would go if my country made.....er....asked me to I guess.

[edit on 11-4-2005 by skippytjc]

When I got out of the Army last year, after serving about a year in Iraq, I was going to go back as a civilian and work for ITT (the job market is real bad right now). My Mom wouldn't let me go back again! My friends were making fun of me, that my Mom could dictate what I (a 33-year old male) should do with my life!
She's never done that before, or since, and heck, she's my Mom! She felt that strongly, I respected her and didn't go. Whenever I hear about a contractor getting hurt, I always think, "Could that of been me?"

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 06:03 PM
link   

I wonder if this guy is a 'building' contractor or a merc?

Apparently mercs get reported as 'contractors'. Indeed, they are contractors.

It says he was working on a reconstruction project in Baghdad. So he is not a mercenary just probably a construction worker or engineer.

Yes I saw the news on CNN and the family has been notify. I wonder why with all the tragic events falling upon foreigners specially Americans contractors in Iraq, I wonder why the big companies like Haliburto keeps taking Americans to Iraq.

Because the people were dealing with don't see a difference between civilians and military personal. They just try and kill whoever they can so they can get osme media time.
Also no one is “taking” Americans to Iraq they offer them a lot of money so they take the job.

Why not hiring Iraqis to be the ones to do the rebuilding of their country and pay them the outrageous pay check I bet they will be more than happy to work.

I’m sure they will but I don't think there are enough educated Iraqi’s to fill all of the required jobs of reconstruction.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I have a friend who is a civilian in the Army Corps of Engineers. He just came back from a year-long contract in Afghanistan and is about to go back again. He makes 3x his normal salary, TAX FREE over there. He's building a huge custom home and when he comes back from the second contract he will have the house paid for in cash.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme
When I got out of the Army last year, after serving about a year in Iraq, I was going to go back as a civilian and work for ITT (the job market is real bad right now). My Mom wouldn't let me go back again! My friends were making fun of me, that my Mom could dictate what I (a 33-year old male) should do with my life!
She's never done that before, or since, and heck, she's my Mom! She felt that strongly, I respected her and didn't go. Whenever I hear about a contractor getting hurt, I always think, "Could that of been me?"

Curme,
I know EXACTLY what you mean. A good friend of mine called me and asked me if I wanted to do some technical work in Qatar. He laughed at me when I told him that I had to clear it with the "Mrs." I talked to my wife about it and told her that it was HUGE money and there has been no violence in that region so that she would not mind. She told me "NO WAY are you going there."

To make a long story short, my mother got involved, too and gave me the "our family has served our share" speech, and sided with my wife. To avoid a divorce, I stayed home. A month later, a bomb went off at the Doha Players theater in Doha, Qatar killing one Brit and injuring a dozen others. No one is considered a civilian in this one. If you screw up, you end up losing your head on video.

I used to think Panamanian television was bad. No comparison at all.

top topics

join