It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How good are our ABM's??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Not really talking about the Patriot Missile system, since that was designed to be ant-aircraft and not ant-ballistic missile.

Reason I am asking this question is that back in '91, while discussing the Patriot system with my father (retired engineer employed by NASA/Air Force), he seemed to think the whole Patriot system and its usage was a big joke. His theory was that the system was deployed not so much for defence, as it was to appease the Israelis so that they did not join battle and strike back at Iraq. He told me there was no way we would 'show all of our cards' in a one-sided battle against Sadaam Hussien. I was told that systems have been in existence, and working effectively since the early 70's that could knock just about any incoming missile or re-entry vehicle out of the sky. I can't remember exactly what the details were, but he showed me some pictures from one of his work assignments in Kwajalien (Marshall Islands, in the Pacific). The pictures depecticed surface to air missiles being launched at re-enty vehicles coming in near the island. So, apparently, what was going on was that a minuteman missile would be launched from Vandenburg AFB containing about 8-10 MRV's (dummy warheads). Launch detection satellites would identify the launch, tracking systems on ships and on Kwajalien would track the missile and incoming warheads, and ABM's would be launched and take the MRV's out. This was around 1976-77. What I recall as the caption on the pictures was " 'Hawk' missile system in action against incoming missile", or something to that effect. I always thought the Hawk missile was a very early US built SAM used by the Army and Airforce, with not that great of accuracy. Has anyone on this board ever heard of such training excercises, or heard of this capability?

-Snark

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Thor and Nike ajax (and hercules) were retired not long after the dates you mention - and they were the ABM for quite a few years

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Not really talking about the Patriot Missile system, since that was designed to be ant-aircraft and not ant-ballistic missile.

germany and israel updated their patriot systems to fight ballistic missiles, the MEADS system which is developed by italy, germany and usa will also be capable of fighting them.

join