It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.N. to take over internet?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   
is the U.N. going to take over the internet?

if you have any info on this please post this in to me.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Nobody can control the internet completely.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   
exactly, you have to remember, that people like the hackers will always be there in the way of the government to stop something like the internet becoming completly controlled. However there have been talks about music companies trying to pass a law that allows them to legally search ya comp, and erase any MP3s....I guess this could be classed as the first step in tryin to contol the net....This has to be stopped.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   
i thought that today the US where controlling it by giving the domain names and so on and for that many countries don't really like it.
so i have heard of a change of "control". but it won't happen in the next future. give it about 6 to 8 years and we'll see.

KJ

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Nobody can take over the internet. Because I own it. Its mine.

I bought it from Al Gore in the 80's. Its mine.

BTW: I start impossing "newb fee's" at the end of the month, be prepared...

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by kingjules
i thought that today the US where controlling it by giving the domain names and so on and for that many countries don't really like it.
so i have heard of a change of "control". but it won't happen in the next future. give it about 6 to 8 years and we'll see.

KJ

No, the US doesnt control the internet. Theres a regulatory body that decides what happens, doles out domain names, chooses what new domain types are needed, etc.

The internet will never be controlled. Theres nothing to control, its millions upon millions of computers all acting independantly in every single country around the world. Even if the US passed a law banning the use of the internet in the United states, that wouldnt shut the internet down.

In short, if you really feel is possible for someone or some country to "Shut the internet down" or impose restrictions on the internet, you need to go read up on how it actually works. The only country thats even come close to doing something like this is China, and even there people still find ways around the regulation.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   
kingjules > the US doesnt control it, but it does have representation in ICANN, which is about as close to a controlling organization the internet will ever have. Heres a quote from the site pointing out some of the past and current members of the group

ICANN's Board has included citizens of Australia, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, China, France, Germany, Ghana, Japan, Kenya, Korea, Mexico, the Netherlands, Portugal, Senegal, Spain, the United Kingdom, and the United States.

With a group like that I think its pretty safe to rule out the US or any one nation controllling the internet completely; however they can control it within their borders as evidenced by China's crackdowns on cyber cafes.

top topics

join