It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US plans to boost GPS satellite power

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2003 @ 09:14 AM
link   
"The US military has asked for $90 million of extra funding to increase the signal strength of its satellite Global Positioning System (GPS). The Department of Defense says this would protect it from atmospheric interference and deliberate jamming.

Whether the funds will be awarded will be decided early in 2003. The money would be used to modify up to 20 new satellites, the first of which would launch in 2004. The new satellites would be fully operational by 2006.

Each satellite would be fitted with more powerful radio transmitters to boost the GPS signal to eight times that currently used. This would provide greater accuracy by reducing atmospheric interference. It would also make it more difficult for an adversary to jam the signal to disorientate troops on the ground or throw smart weapons off course."

www.newscientist.com...

Thisa is great news for those of us who use it to map and survey and spend countless hours dealing with poor signal strength and trying to get signal under tree canopy. However, it may also add fule to the fire that governemtn plans to implant GPS chips to track us. Stronger signal means smaller receivers.

posted on Jul, 22 2003 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Astrocreep, I would agree with your assessment there at the end..... Not a good idea at all...

I would also ask, since you are far more active in GPS applications than I am, have you noticed any changes or other perterbations in GPS performance?

I am wondering if this is a signal increase to compensate for interference from HAARP, which seems to be constantly increasing in output? Or possibly as an orbital transmission system to augment HAARP?

posted on Jul, 23 2003 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I would also ask, since you are far more active in GPS applications than I am, have you noticed any changes or other perterbations in GPS performance?

Actually, I've been trapped in the lab for the last month or so, thus my increased activity on ats but I did work in the field today but I'm training a summer intern and let him run the GPS today. I'll either DL the data tomorrow or Friday and if I see anything weird in the metadata logs, I'll post it but he didn't mention anything unusual to me.

posted on Jul, 25 2003 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Just to follow-up. Looked at the GPS records from Wed. Nothing out of the ordinary but we did log 7 to 8 sats all day. thats amazing for KY. Usually 5 to 6 sats is considered good but I've notice better coverage the last year or so. When I began this in 98', it was really a headache. We only use US sats although some companies sell Glonass capable too but Trimble doesn't rely on them.

posted on Jul, 25 2003 @ 01:49 PM
link   
well I for one welcome a better GPS signal, it will mean for aviators..both professional and otherwise....a far more accurate and reliable set of nav data..particularly in inhospitable areas.

posted on Jul, 25 2003 @ 02:52 PM
link   
spear, yeah it will make things nicer..especially to those of us trying to get centimeter or better survey points in the Appalachians. But it also means tracking GPS(which doesn't require L1 and L2 signals) will be able to use smaller antennas..thus the fear of tracking implants.

top topics

join