It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mindanao (Philippines) could become 'new Afghanistan'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   
"THE UNITED States has expressed concern about militant training activity on Mindanao in the southern Philippines, warning that the rebellion-torn southern region could become the "next Afghanistan.""

news.inq7.net...

Very interesting. I am somewhat surprised that the US would convey such a message, especially since the Philippines is an American Ally and the Philippine Government has policies in place to deal with the situation in the Southern Philippines.

In addition, Afghanistan, to a certain extent, promoted terrorist activities, while I feel rather certain that the Philippines does not. I wonder if there is 'something else' going on.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by DCFusion

In addition, Afghanistan, to a certain extent, promoted terrorist activities, while I feel rather certain that the Philippines does not. I wonder if there is 'something else' going on.

One would hope not. Considering that the vast majority of people who keep getting hurt every time a "fundamentalist" decides to blow up a civilian target are in fact citizens of the Philippines.

That said, there is a lot going on in the Philippines and while it is arguable that their government is perhaps not doing enough to fight terror, they seem to be trying and I would be surprised to hear of them supporting it.

join