It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Suspicious Man Arrested on Capitol Hill

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 12:17 PM
link   
The U.S. Capitol was evacuated due to a threat from a man who was feared to have explosives in two pieces of luggage. Capitol Police tackled and arrested the man without incident. Later, the baggage was blown up by a bomb team and determined to not contain any explosives.

FOX News
WASHIGNTON — Capitol Police evacuated the west front of the U.S. Capitol Building on Monday because a man stood between two bags, which authorities feared may contain explosives.

Police are gathering at a safe distance away from the man.

Stay with the FOX News Channel and FOXNews.com for more on this story as it develops.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

UPDATE: The Suspect is Now in Custody

FOX News
WASHINGTON — Capitol Police tackled a man Monday afternoon who had been standing near the west front of the U.S. Capitol Building after he refused to move away from two bags authorities feared may contain explosives.

The unidentified man had stood silently between the two bags, an act that led authorities to evacuate part of the Capitol Building. Officials do not know yet what is inside the bags.

Among the officials whose offices are on the west side of the Capitol looking out upon the National Mall are House Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Ill., Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn., and Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev.

It appears that the Capitol Police have some experience with this person, who may be mentally unstable. The suitcases were blown up and determined not to have contained any explosives.

[edit on 4/11/2005 by djohnsto77]

[edit on 4-11-2005 by William One Sac]

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   
What kind of submission is this?

ATSNN isn't going to be able to be some sort of 'news first' source. Everything that gets reported on ATS gets reported somewhere else first. Why rush to submit? This submission is almost completely empty, whats the point?

Better to wait until there is something to report, and actually post an insightful and considered report on any incidents.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I do not know why the posting is looking like that I see the following: (submission) (news) (Breaking News) Cops Evacuate Portion of U.S. Capitol

DC Police are evacuating the area around Capitol Hill.
A man is in front of the White house who claims to have explosives taped to himself. He is threating to blow himself up along with everyone else around him.
This is just breaking news that is airing on Foxnews at the moment.
The Link below is to their general site showing the Breaking news link (Not active). Will update story as soone as a direct link is available.
l

original news source:

www.foxnews.com
Cops are evacuating a portion of Capitol Hill. Breaking News

At this time it is unknown if this is just a deranged person or a terrorist. Information is only now comming through. Will update as more info becomes available.

[edit on 11-4-2005 by kenshiro2012]

Here is a direct link that is now avaiable:
www.foxnews.com...

[edit on 11-4-2005 by kenshiro2012]www.foxnews.com...

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Police have taken the suspect into custody.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Hazmat and bomb squads are coming to the area to deal with the suspicious luggage.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Why are you such a pesimist ... Breaking down other peoples post .. I would not have know that this happend unless he posted it ... So he posted it for me ... and I appreciate .. it .. .Thanks ...

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Yes, breaking news has always been a part of ATSNN and there's a reason why an edit button exists!

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Thanks for the original story.

Since this thread has been cluttered a bit already..
I was wondering is it proper to critique a submission,
within the actual submission?

If it gets upgraded, the critical remarks either have to be edited out, or left there for all the world to see..

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   
But this is the problem, I don't see why someone can instantly put up an empty submission, and then come back later to fill it in as the events happen. I mean, updating, sure, thats a good thing. But this submission was just a link to Fox, a sentence or two, and that was it. I mean, its not some sort of 'game' where people should rush to be first to post. If you have to 'edit' and update a submission so that it has information in it, then maybe it shouldn't've been made in the first place.

And yes, ATSNN can get 'breaking' stories, but, by its nature, it doesn't have journalists who find news and report on it. It posts information about whats reported in other, normally quite mainstream, news sources. So there's no reason to 'rush'.

I know that there is a desire to be 'first' on the board to report something, I'm saying, resist it. It serves no function.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I disagree.

The evolution of a "breaking story" has always been one of my favorite ways to follow a story here on the Forums. There's an inherent excitement factor in following it this way. It encourages members to "stay tuned" so to speak.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Wouldn't it be proper to post your suggestions for such radical changes to the ATSNN system in one of the many Board business threads discussing ATSNN changes rather than off-topic in an individual news thread?

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 02:10 PM
link   
No, i don't see why it shouldn't be in the thread itself. I'll not repeat myself tho so as to not clutter up the thread. People can certainly still discuss the subject.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Wow .. How about we take this discusion somewhere else ... How come the moderators don't F#$* your guys submissions biT**in in a thread when I give real Information concerning the thread and it gets deleted.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Any new developments on this story? It's sort of hard to follow what's going on in your country when you are oceans away with no Television.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 03:30 PM
link   
It's pretty much over, the guy was arrested and the suitcases blown up.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Yes I agree with the posters who stated that this was a good idea.. I mydelf dont watch the news at all I look for my news here only...

So if this is a breaking news story then cool only 2 lines... what do you edspect from a breaking news peice... a 19 page story about some quack who went mental in DC????

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 05:13 PM
link   
The ATSNN format requiring a blurb and story takes me about 20-30min to properly submit becasue i have horrible writing skills. IN that sense "Breaking news" is really nothing more then a 'you may have heard it hear first'

As far as the story goes. From what I heard the person was not complying with officers, but yet I wonder why they needed to explode one of the suitcases to determine it didn't have bombs. Wouldn't an X-ray machine do the trick?

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Thanks for the original story.

Since this thread has been cluttered a bit already..
I was wondering is it proper to critique a submission,
within the actual submission?

If it gets upgraded, the critical remarks either have to be edited out, or left there for all the world to see..

No, I don't believe it should be. That is why there are "no votes" with reasons for why the vote went that way. It's also the reason there is a u2u function.

I really don't see the positive side to it.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

ATSNN isn't going to be able to be some sort of 'news first' source. Everything that gets reported on ATS gets reported somewhere else first. Why rush to submit? This submission is almost completely empty, whats the point?

Better to wait until there is something to report, and actually post an insightful and considered report on any incidents.

As several others said...

I, for one, am glad people "rush" to get these articles posted, as I depend on ATS for most of my news links. I keep the homepage open at work most of the day, but no other pages, so if something happens, I want it to be here.

Thank you for posting the news, as quickly as you find it, djohnsto77!

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by cohiba

Originally posted by Nygdan

As several others said...

I, for one, am glad people "rush" to get these articles posted, as I depend on ATS for most of my news links. I keep the homepage open at work most of the day, but no other pages, so if something happens, I want it to be here.

Thank you for posting the news, as quickly as you find it, djohnsto77!

I have to agree with all this, I am surprised to hear this bickering from a MOD.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join