It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The same conversations, again and again and again

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Lately I have been spending far less time on ATS than ever before, and as I was evaluating why I this is, I realized that ATS has become quite repetative for me.

The discussions that I've had so many times allready, are being re-opened with slightly different topic starts every day, and the more posts I write about christianity/abortion/aliens/"insert your topic here", the more I realize that I am just repeating myself over and over and over, sometimes even to the same people.

I am not sure how to deal with this, I could just write about the same posts in different threads over and over, or copy paste my previous posts into new threads, or force myself to start posting in different kind of threads to begin with.

I am wondering how all you fellow ATSers deal with this phenomena, and how you keep ATS fresh for yourself.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Same here, as well as many other older members.....while I understand that staff is not too concerned with this, because after all....anyone that leaves will just be replaced as ATS grows...that's not necessarily the best attitude to take because it will eventually turn into a vicious circle that will be it's downfall. I would hate that! I do, in spite of my bitching and moaning at times, love this site, but no one wants to continue with the same crap a hundred times over. I personally thought it much better before the 10 day rule because if one had to add to an existing thread.....it brought other threads to the top of the forum again and others learned from the discussion...but I'm sure no one is going to listen to me about it....
Aaaaaaanyway.............

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I have to agree, but his is somehting that has been a problem for a long time and ironically, threads about this matter have been created in the past also..

I have wondered if there was any way to have all new thread topics to be vetted by a moderator before being allowed to be directly posted to prevent this occurance. This may also increase the quality of posts that are submitted and prevent the old "try google before you post" statement I have been seeing a lot of lately. I can imagine the only problem is the time it would take for each post to be vetted and administerred.

Just a thought.

Klep.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Well, at one point in time, we were all newbies to this site and we WANTED to talk about conspiracies, religions, aliens, share our ideas in new threads.
There is a limited amount of information on these alternative subjects, so eventually we will all arive at a certain point in time-space-continuum where we have said most of the things we wanted to say.

The newbies of today on ATS are us from a few months/years ago. It is the way the world works.
How would you feel if every one of your topics was closed because it was discussed a year ago by old members? That is not fair to new members and I think we have established that in one of the previous discussions on this topic ( ironicaly, we are repeating ourselves in a topic about too much repetition
)

Personaly, I find new topics on old things quite interesting. I do not have much time to spend on ATS, so I do miss a few interesting discussions now and then. I simply do not have time to return to old topics and read pages and pages of posts, waste hours and hours of time I do not have, so new discussions with fewer posts are very welcome.

Jakko, I suggest that you maybe re-evaluate your knowledge and your belief regarding these things, maybe take a different approach, try reading these things in new light. It should make it all interesting all over again.
Also, try to read topics you weren't interested in before. Maybe they are equaly interesting as the ones you are already bored with.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 12:26 PM
link   
This topic has also been repeated often.

It's a natural occurrence of anything (online and offline) where the topic of discussion is narrowly focused in one set of subjects. When you're new, ATS seems like a vast treasure trove of which you could never possible tire. Over time, you become used to the content, and take aspects of your new-found community for granted. Then, the next phase, you seem to think you've heard it all before and there is nothing new happening.

It's common.

Many members end up with this thought within 3 to 6 months of registering (some longer). The odd thing is that this complaint itself is repetitive.

I suppose a solution would be to create a thread on something new? (I know, crazy thought... but damn, it just might work!)

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I've noticed that there is duplication on a lot of subjects too. Right now, if a topic is still active within 10 days, and someone starts a thread on the same topic, then the newer one gets closed. More than 10 days of no activity on a thread, and its okay to have something repeated.

I find the repetition annoying too, personally. But there's even repetition in the most basic opinions and statements and simply posts. So there isn't much that really can be done about it.

Everyone would do well to look at older threads on a subject, afteral, we're all here to learn about a particular subject. Keeping in mind that much of what can be said has been said, then it follows that its in ones best interests to read older threads on a topic, and then just post within it.

Even if the 'older' thread is a month old, why not still post in it? It'll bring it up again, people will see their 'older' statements about stuff, might have had some time to think about it and participate even more, no? Whereas when someone that actually has been involved in lots of discussions about a subject before might just ignore a thread that is on 'the same old topic'.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I will have to agree with you all, it feels that the same topics come over and over to the point that when the littler "provide links" comes from the newer members I don't feel like posting a link that I have provided already in previous threads.

I feel that some have to become better on their search of ATS.

Then I realized that the ones starting the already covered threads are usually new members and while I feel that I have read the same thing like hundreds of time, taken in consideration I have been here for a while, I have to understand that they are new and everything they see and read is new to them.

I guess that is why we need to take a brake from this boards once in a while, so we can come back with a new member attitude, and enjoy the threads and topics with a renewed interest.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by paperclip

Personaly, I find new topics on old things quite interesting.

I disagree...while yes, we were/are all newbie's at one point.....many of the discussion that are posted go completely ignored and un-discussed.....I see it daily here...topics that get only four or five replies....because it has been done a lot....bringing fresh life into an already existing thread...helps a newbie learn from the past discussion.....I used to love it when I was a new....those older threads hold a wealth of knowledge and information, that they obviously are interested ion or else they wouldn't of posted it to begin with! I used to try and help them out by adding a smiley and adding a link when I could....but that was frowned on by the powers that be....so.....

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Lady V after all the double post, you post does not show in the main page but the last one I did.

Something is wrong with this thread

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Thanks Marg...it appears to be ok now....wonder why some threads to that!?

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 01:45 PM
link   
If you're getting bored with the subject, I have to ask if you are actually reading them for information, or just skimming over them. I give you that the same topics come up again and again, but I don't feel that they are copy-paste of the previous discussion. There always seems to be something a little different in each "repeat thread".

This morning I saw an interesting discussion that nails this idea perfectly. So there I am in the Predictions and Prophecies forum reading...."The world is going to end...blah blah blah." But wait!!! What's this? Someone one brilliantly applied a commonly known news story to this idea, and PRESTO! All of the sudden this topic sparks quite an interest, and lead to a considerable amount of time looking into the facts.

If I would have canned the thread when it started, would this little gem have come up? Probably not. I'd encourage everyone to read through the threads with actual interest. Don't worry about who posted the text, just read the thoughts and ideas that others have and you will be suprised at what you find.

I don't claim to know everything yet, so until I reach that point I'll keep reading and hopefully learning from everyone here. Keep up the good work everyone!

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV
I disagree...while yes, we were/are all newbie's at one point.....many of the discussion that are posted go completely ignored and un-discussed.....I see it daily here...

Maybe we cn all just agree to disagree about some things. We will never all look at ATS the same way. ATS's diversity is what makes it interesting.
New members need the experience of posting and starting new threads. And, they should be encouraged to search before starting a new thread. I also think new member's enthusiasm for discovering ATS makes them want to share what they know. I don't think this should be stifled unless it is a blatant repeat or against the Terms of ATS.

Some topics get few replies...oh well, it's happened to me, too. Not everyone shared my zeal on certain topics. That's life. Not every thread will go on for ten pages.

Sure, members can keep things lively by seeking out new subject and/or topics, new slants on what's been posted. The older member could be the vanguard on this. We've got the experience and we've read the old topics.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV
I used to try and help them out by adding a smiley and adding a link when I could....but that was frowned on by the powers that be....so.....

If there is more than one sentence it would be fine. If not, then you might get a "One Liner" which docks a few points.

However you do it (write a bit more or take the point loss) is up to you. I don't think the "powers that be" would stop you. No different than speeding. You speed in a car and either:
1) get away with it
2) get a ticket (point loss)

I don't think we blame the "powers that be" for having speeding rules.

Personally, it's not much of a "discussion" either if all the posters just put smileys.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   

I am wondering how all you fellow ATSers deal with this phenomena, and how you keep ATS fresh for yourself.

Simple.

If I read 50 posts, and even 1 of them contains information I didn't know before that interests me, then the other 49 were worth going through, just to find that one new piece of data.

One of the things I do, with regards to my favorite subject, is delve into a case I've only had a cursory look at before, and see if there is more meat to it. I also simply enjoy sharing info with others, which is I suppose why I don't get bored.

Repetition is a cycle here (as it is on every board...) One just rides it out, until some new info breaks that starts a discussion all over again...

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Wow!
Again, this same, stale question is asked; Why is ATS stale?

Again, as if we are in a time loop, I say that if you'd drag in something new and refreshing rather than complaining, there'd be a fresh scent in the air.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
Wow!
Again, this same, stale question is asked; Why is ATS stale?

Hahahaha
Allright allright, the "this thread is also being repeated" posts that have been repeated in this thread are clear to me by now!
It is ironic indeed...

It was not really a complaint though, just a question to how some of the vets keep themselves coming back to ATS on a regular basis, I am no way near being a vet and allready I feel kind of "pointless" at ATS sometimes because of the things I repeat myself.

What I do see as a problem is that some of the greatest posts in some of the greatest discussions are never looked at again when some new member opens a thread about the exact same topic, 10 or more days later.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Deja vu!

My way of dealing with this is to take a long break from ATS then come back at a later date and start over. If it is getting stale for you, take a break, and come back when you feel a new topic on your mind or something of interest.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Remember, some of the repeats are not stale to the ones repeating them. I have suggested to new folk to browse the archives, but they never take the time, so I don't bother repeating that suggestion.

This place is fresh when two things happen; the world coughs up new evidence to support old theories or create new ones, and the members are sharp enough to see the clues when they come across them.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 02:50 PM
link   

What I do see as a problem is that some of the greatest posts in some of the greatest discussions are never looked at again when some new member opens a thread about the exact same topic, 10 or more days later.

Simple solution...

"A little while back, we had an excellent discussion on the same topic. Feel free to check there for some more information and some other additional member discussion on it."

[link to thread]

See? not too hard...

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jakko
What I do see as a problem is that some of the greatest posts in some of the greatest discussions are never looked at again

There's a wealth of inspiration and "though-starters" here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
and here
and for the nostalgic

Some of our most valuable threads are those that look back and rethink some older concepts based on current data.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join