It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amber Alert Turns into Hostage Standoff in New Jersey (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 11:01 AM
link   
An Amber Alert was issued earlier today in New Jersey for Jada Saunders, a four-month infant girl, and mother, Erika Turner, taken by the father, Almutah Saunders. Police have now tracked the suspect and have him surrounded; he is threatening to kill the hostages and himself. Saunders was wanted by the police for a prior attempted kidnapping of Turner.

www.foxnews.com
IRVINGTON, N.J.  — The father of a 4-month-old girl shot the infant's grandfather Monday and then fled in a vehicle with the baby and her mother, authorities said.

A statewide alert was issued and the car stopped in a neighborhood about 56 miles west on Interstate 78 outside Phillipsburg.

Officers hid behind houses near the car, and a police helicopter hovered overhead.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is a nightmare situation. As it is breaking news and the story is developing, I'll update as new information becomes available.

[edit on 4/11/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 11:19 AM
link   
According to this story both the mother, and the father are involved in the abduction of the child.

An Amber Alert was issued shortly before 10 a.m. for Jada Saunders, age 4 months.

She was taken by her father, Almutah Saunders, along with her mother, Erika Turner, according to the alert.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Hmm, I guess the details of what happened are still very sketchy.

Edit:

Actually I think that's just confusing writing, I think it means the girl was taken along with her mother by her father.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Why do they call it an Amber Alert, I thought the color codes are for Terrorists?
It strikes me that these sort of thing happen fairly often so why use a color code?
I don't understand

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   
An Amber Alert is an alert for a missing child. It's named after a girl named Amber who was kidnapped and killed in Texas.

AMBER (America's Missing: Broadcast Emergency Response) is a notification program to help locate missing children believed to have been abducted. The Emergency Alert System (formerly known as the Emergency Broadcast System) is used to alert the public via television and radio in the event of an AMBER Alert.

The AMBER Alert System was created as a legacy to 9-year-old Amber Hagerman, who was kidnapped while riding her bicycle in Arlington, Texas. In addition to Texas, 45 other states and numerous localities have since set up their own AMBER plans as the idea was adopted across the United States.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I have been watching the news unfold on TV, the man is still holding the girlfriend and child in the car.

I hope everything comes out right.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I, uh, "know people" who work for a company that controls the amber alert system in my part of the country. Anyways, the Amber Alert System is named for a child named Amber, not for a colour.

Zip

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I'm in New Jersey and was listening to the radio this morning while hanging some paper border when this alert came interupted the radio like an emergency weather bulletin.

I was quite impressed as I have never heard one of these over the radio but have seen them on the cable news channels.

Anybody hear the outcome yet?

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 11:49 AM
link   

djohnsto77:
An Amber Alert is an alert for a missing child. It's named after a girl named Amber who was kidnapped and killed in Texas.

djohnsto77 & Zipdot

thank you both for explaining the Amber Alert, I understand now as I’m sure others not from the US will too.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Police report that Saunders allowed the girl and her mother to leave. He's still armed and remains held up in the car.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
This happened behind my house and I wasn't allowed to leave school until the situation was over. Well, my bus refused to drive me to my house. I had a friend pick me up from school and we went home. Just helicopters over my house, I couldn't actually see the man and the car. But I heard it all.

I'm glad the baby is safe.

new topics

top topics

join