It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Back to space!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 10:22 AM
link   
The Shuttle is finally on the launch pad

www.nasa.gov...

Discovery Reaches Launch Pad

It's the biggest milestone yet on the path to Return to Flight.
Space Shuttle Discovery is now at Launch Pad 39B at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida. The long trek began at 2:04 p.m. EDT Wednesday, when the Shuttle "stack" -- the Orbiter, External Tank and Solid Rocket Boosters -- left the Vehicle Assembly Building for the 4.2 mile journey, moving at barely one mile an hour. It ended with a "hard down" on the pad at 1:20 a.m. EDT on April 7.

The rollout is one of the last major steps before Discovery's launch on STS-114, currently targeted for the May 15 to June 3 time frame. The crew will fly to the International Space Station, testing new safety procedures and servicing the orbital outpost.

It's about time

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I don't understand this story, more people are going to the space station? I thought that wasn't that huge an occurance...

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 10:41 AM
link   

I don't understand this story, more people are going to the space station? I thought that wasn't that huge an occurance...

Its not that more people are going to the space station, its the fact that this is the first time the shuttle has been launched since the Columbia disaster, hence the name 'Return To Flight'. All flights to the ISS of late have been by Russian spacecraft launched from Russia.

Ive said in many threads that STS-114 should be cancelled and all shuttles put into retirment.

They are dangerous timebombs that should have been grounded years ago.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I just don't like the fact that it's going to sit out there on the launch pad for nearly a month, if not longer, before it gets launched. Think of all the crap that could happen to it just because of the weather.

I say once we get it on the pad, we should be ready to launch as soon as possible.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 12:53 PM
link   

I just don't like the fact that it's going to sit out there on the launch pad for nearly a month, if not longer, before it gets launched. Think of all the crap that could happen to it just because of the weather.

I totally agree. All it would take is somebad weather and we might have another Challenger disaster on our hands.

I think the the shuttle should be launched the same day as it arrives at the launchpad and should only be launched after the go ahead of from the engineers(not the big-wigs in the office).

I really hope we never lose another shuttle, but the odds against them are really bad and without being practically rebuilt they'll never be fit to fly in my opinion.

Hurry up and build a replacement NASA, the technology for the shuttle is way outdated.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkidI say once we get it on the pad, we should be ready to launch as soon as possible.

YES OH GOD YES!

Although I suppose they'll check it all again, and not repair that crack again that didn't matter apparently. Is there an actual reason for putting it out so early? Logistical matters, I assume.

join