It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

St. John Paul 2? (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 08:16 AM
link   
There is a movement in the church to grant sainthood to the late Pope John Paul 2. Archbishop Edward Nowak, the Polish-born secretary of the Congregation for the Causes of Saints beleives that the pope may even be "fast tracked " so that instead of granting sainthood 5 years (as what happened with Mother Theresa), he could receive it in only a year.
The bishops who are scheduled to meet in Rome this October could begin the process.

www.usatoday.com
VATICAN CITY (AP) — A decision to put Pope John Paul II on the path to sainthood might come as soon as October, when bishops gather in Rome, a Vatican official was quoted Monday as saying.
Archbishop Edward Nowak, the Polish-born secretary of the Congregation for the Causes of Saints, told Corriere della Sera that he didn't expect an immediate declaration of sainthood but that the process could begin as soon as the "proper documentation" has been gathered.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I agree that Pope John Paul 2 was a very great man in that he lead the church into the digital age. He promoted peace between the various religions as well as peace throughout the world. I do not think that this should would be enough for sainthood. The position of the pope as the leader of the church required that he do the things that he did, he was just basically doing his job.
Yes, I greatly admire the man but not enough to call him a saint

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Unfortunately sainthood has been handed out far to frequently in the recent past. The Catholic church has more saints, then there are days of the year. I am a bit skeptically as to whether or not JPII meets the criteria for sainthood, specifically the performing of miracles, but there are rumors that he did.

John Paul The Great? Definately.
John Paul The Saint? Maybe.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 11:31 AM
link   
What miracles have been attributed to him anyways?

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 11:41 AM
link   
What miracles did Mother Theresa perform? I think of a miracle as like a resurrection or a sea-parting or making food rain down - ya know, stuff along those lines. The only miracle here is that my man could still perform his papal duties while so feeble and sickly.

Zip

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 11:41 AM
link   
your link goes to a story on cadinal law protest at the funeral, not to a stoy on jp2 being sainted.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   
To be cannonized by the RCC, you need to have performed, i beleive, two miracles or have been martyred and performed one miracle. Often these miracles occur after death. What ranks as a miracle? Well, the RCC investigates things, and trys to decide if there is fraud and if it could've occured naturally.

So a person appealing to the pope to be cured of, say, a cold, who gets better, doesn't count as a miracle. A person who does it over an inoperable brain tumour that most doctors have said is incurable and untreatable, that might count as a miracle if it went away forever.

Most modern miracles are medical btw. M. Theresa must've had, like i said, something like two such confirmed and vetted events.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Already three "miracles" have been attributed to JPII and that's just
the beginning after all what happened at Rome in the last days.
Also,the RCC smells money there,so,no problem,I will be a "sainthood"
in the shortest time possible.He was a good actor whilst alive so,why not after his death.One more saint or less,who cares about.
Baloria

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Not my submission, but here is a link to a story that mentions Sainthood for JPII.

www.startribune.com
VATICAN CITY -— A decision to put Pope John Paul II on the path to sainthood might come as soon as October, when bishops gather in Rome, a Vatican official was quoted today as saying.

Archbishop Edward Nowak, the Polish-born secretary of the Congregation for the Causes of Saints, told Corriere della Sera that he didn't expect an immediate declaration of sainthood but that the process could begin as soon as the "proper documentation'' has been gathered.

"The Synod of Bishops gathers in Rome next October and that, for example, might be the right occasion for such a declaration,'' Nowak was quoted as saying.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Sorry about the link. Looks like ABCNEWS has removed the story. Here is another link to the story that I found from their site.
Will John Paul II Be Made a Saint

top topics

join