It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hang in There: The 25-Year Wait for Immortality

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I dont mind that we are getting near immortality but it is just unlogical to do it in one big step. Doing several smaller steps should be allot better.

[edit on 12-4-2005 by tomcat ha]

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by smallpeeps

... "life-extension technology", which came in a box and was sold in a price-range beyond the majority of humans --this would not last. It would be destroyed before it became a factor.

Humans will allow an advance that helps all humans live longer.
Humans will NOT allow an advance that helps some humans live longer.

Yeah I agree with that, it;s what I had said ealier this would be fought over like nothing before in human history, and I dont think it would ever be allowed to go too mainstraim if it ever comes out, one of the major draws to such a long live would be the advantage it would give you over others and people would fight and kill to control that (I know I would). I believe if this ever comes to and the way it should be done would be to expand it to maybe a few hundred years or so, more than that and it gets very iffy in my opinion. I can see the average lifespan of human upped to maybe 100-120 on average without some major breakthrough like smallpeeps said, and probably somewhere between 300+ categaroy with technological help. I would personaly like to extend my life for a few hundred years if possible but I dont' think I would like to live forever or millineas.

[edit on 4/12/2005 by Oblivions void]

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 10:08 PM
link   
y would u want to live for 1000 years, just think right now averige life span is what 80 years and the last 5-20 are usually horrible, so that means that u would live to be about 800 then you would have 200 years of just hell. also think of the social security

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Look no matter what this new process could do to improve your longevity...getting hit by a bus will still kill you

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 10:21 PM
link   
if one were to live so long, basic drugs would no longer work as we would become accustomed to them.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Death is so overly feared. Death is not a terrible thing. Think about, who would really want to live forever, especially in this world? Death is a release from this physical reality, from the torments of other human beings, ect. Humanity needs to come to grips with its fear of death. Its part of the natural cycle of being.

And we do already have immortality: children. We regenrate and ressurect through them. Children and the young are every species opportunity for immortality. The current revulsion in modern day society against having children is unatural and unhealthy. Children are news lives, children are renewal. I certainly would not want the same stagnant people visiting this inn called earth beyond their intended stay. We need fresh new generations of people to continue to grow and evolve.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by rufi0o

This gene therapy is just going to be like the Cancer treatments of today.. a farce & a lie.

Sure it will work & people will be forced to pay millions to have it "just like Chemo drugs today".

But what they won't tell you is that every human has an immortality gene (a set of DNA with the code that tells the body to keep growing new cells & the enzymes responsible for aging to stop producing), embedded within their own DNA that can be just as easily turned on as a one time event that will last indefinately.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by rufi0o

I think thats the plan.
Nothing like immortal rulers to keep the masses down...
Normal folks will never be allowed this technology.
I bet my own head on it.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Motile
I agree with tomcat, we are not ready for an imortal life, or a finite 1000 years for that matter, it would have to a world with out children, that to me is a nightmarish thought. Not until we begin to reach the stars can we grant ourselves imortality, when we have the resources and realestate to cope with the population, that means we need to put our resources into space flight and far flung technologys to get us to the stars and to new planets.

We only have the capacity for a certian amount of memory, we would have to live lives and then store our memorys while discarding memorys we didnt want. Peter F Hamilton's book pandoras star gives us quite a good look at the future if we had imortality through technology and how through cloning and memory saves death is no longer real, and through rejuves you could live forever never having to be cloned. But until we do reach the stars we should not pursue this technology, mother earth simply can not support us all forever.

With all that said the greedy and stupid rich elite will take a completely different view and the fear of death will drive them to milk the new fountain of youth, it may even start wars.

All excellent points. I think alot could be learned for living 1000 years. Just think how humanity would grow and mature. Realizing that wars, homicides/crimes, immorality in general, would all be exhausted and we could all grow that much closer to being a 'mature race'. Of course that is a big assumption on my part. But its pure speculation at best anyhow.

So I think that humanity would grow and mature as a race if 1000 year life expectancy was achieved.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by tomcat ha
I dont mind that we are getting near immortality but it is just unlogical to do it in one big step. Doing several smaller steps should be allot better.

[edit on 12-4-2005 by tomcat ha]

And I think thats what they would almost have to do at first. For a certain price you could purchase a extra 200 year packet...and eventually move up the next packet when ever you chose to etc...Pretty wild speculation eh?

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by PeteTPP

And what about all the scum in society..the druggies,junkies and crims and murderers and corrupt politicians and the odious media celebrities and ultra wealthy sucking away all your money...?

and controllling you more and more..

imagine that living forever.

think about it..

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by rufi0o

"I think it’s reasonable to suppose that one could oscillate between being biologically 20 and biologically 25 indefinitely."
-- Aubrey de Grey

Time may indeed be on your side. If you can just last another quarter century.

By then, people will start lives that could last 1,000 years or more. Our human genomes will be modified to include the genetic material of microorganisms that live in the soil, enabling us to break down the junk proteins that our cells amass over time and which they can’t digest on their own. People will have the option of looking and feeling the way they did at 20 for the rest of their lives, or opt for an older look if they get bored. Of course, everyone will be required to go in for age rejuvenation therapy once every decade or so, but that will be a small price to pay for near-immortality.

www.livescience.com...

Really interesting work. What do you guys think about the effect of immortality?

And only a few Elite will be able to get this treatment. The Rockerfellers, The trumps, and all the other mega-wealthy people out there.

The rest of us will be forced to continue & endure our very short lives...!!!

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
Death is so overly feared. Death is not a terrible thing. Think about, who would really want to live forever, especially in this world? Death is a release from this physical reality, from the torments of other human beings, ect. Humanity needs to come to grips with its fear of death. Its part of the natural cycle of being.

And we do already have immortality: children. We regenrate and ressurect through them. Children and the young are every species opportunity for immortality. The current revulsion in modern day society against having children is unatural and unhealthy. Children are news lives, children are renewal. I certainly would not want the same stagnant people visiting this inn called earth beyond their intended stay. We need fresh new generations of people to continue to grow and evolve.

Hell you can grow old & die if you want...

But don't speak for me..lol

I wanna see "for myself where we end up"

[edit on 12/22/2007 by Ironclad]

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Yes, I myself am a fan of Aubrey de Grey, he's a very interesting person and scientist.

When I first heard him, he caught my eyes and interest. I would say he's a very smart person. The ability of immortality will be popular in public soon.

Let the education of biology and science prevail.

[edit on 22-12-2007 by TheoOne]

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 09:16 PM
link   
A lot of people are concerned that only the rich would be able to afford thousand year lifespans while the rest of us could only look up with envy, but realistically its not going to stay that way. 15 years ago mobile phones were only available to rich people then 5 years later prices came tumbling down now everyone and his kid has one. The same went for cars, computers, digital cameras and so on.

The same will happen in the aftermath of THIS breakthrough.

AT FIRST only the rich will be able to afford it but only for a brief period of time, before thousands of companies start offering the same thing, then the price of immortality will tumble as endless supply (whether its nanomedince, stem cells, artificial organs.etc) floods the market.

It works that way with every other commodity, so it will (sooner or later) happen with this one.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join