It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientist calls for world DNA database

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Everyone in the world should have their genetic profile stored on a database, but the information should be held independently of the authorities, according to the pioneer of DNA fingerprinting.
Current practice means that only the DNA of criminals is stored in most countries and the information is held by government agencies.

At a lecture on Saturday to mark the 20th anniversary of the discovery of DNA fingerprinting, Professor Sir Alec Jeffreys, of Leicester University, said a global DNA database would have been invaluable in attempting to identify victims of the recent tsunami. Instead, investigators faced endless searches through incomplete records, or having to cause further distress to relatives of the victims."

www.guardian.co.uk...

It always sounds so simple so logical, but no one ever looks at the darkside. Such a database could be used to locate specific races, could be used to develope a genetically specific virus, trace ancestors, look for genetic deformities. Such a "deformity" database could be used to murder the unborn becuase then would have a future illness that cost too much money to treat.

This is very, very, dangerous..............

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid

It always sounds so simple so logical, but no one ever looks at the darkside. Such a database could be used to locate specific races, could be used to develope a genetically specific virus, trace ancestors, look for genetic deformities. Such a "deformity" database could be used to murder the unborn becuase then would have a future illness that cost too much money to treat.

True. Dangerous. Simple, coordinated target identification.

The benefits do not appear to balance the risks.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 06:59 AM
link   
I wonder if this has been proposed due to the outcry of RFID tags and the personal privacy issues involved with them? A global DNA database is really not something I would like to see happen. That is too much info about world demography that could be used in a malicious manner. To much risk.

[edit on 4/11/05 by Kidfinger]

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kidfinger
I wonder if this has been proposed due to the outcry of RFID tags and the personal privacy issues involved with them? A global DNA database is really not something I would like to see happen. That is too much info about world demography that could be used in a malicious manner. To much risk.

Or perhaps "they" are looking for someone? Perhaps the "two" witnesses in revelations? Perhaps tracking the lost "tribes" of Israel?

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Or perhaps "they" are looking for someone? Perhaps the "two" witnesses in revelations? Perhaps tracking the lost "tribes" of Israel?

You know, four or five years ago, I would probably have scoffed at this idea. Church and state were a seprate entity. But now with the commanded by God Bush at the helm of the US, Im not so sure this doesnt hold some merit. Im not a believer of revelations, but if the US gov does believe, well, this would be the perfect way for them to track who they thought would be involved in it.

Excellent thought there Doc

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

On the contrary, I think that the benefits are many and this is a project worth striving for! It should be noted, that I am one that doesnt believe in all those "Doomsday profechies" that many sci-fi books writes about.

But yes, it is very dangerous if it isnt run the proper way.
True. Dangerous. Simple, coordinated target identification.

The benefits do not appear to balance the risks.

top topics

join