It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wedding Customs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I would just like to know other countries customs for weddings with regard to speeches. I know that in Australia - the best man and the groom make a speech, as well as the father.
Let me know for your country.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Id tell you, but you would already know

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Typically just the best man in the USA.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Yep, usually just the best man here in the US, though many extend this to the rest of the groomsmen as well....

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Pick a friend who is a good speaker to be your MC, you won't go wrong!

I haven't been to a wedding anywhere lately, US, Australia, Japan, Europe or elsewhere, where the bride has not spoken.

There was a classic though, where the best man, the groom, the bride, the mother of the groom and uncle of the groom, and three friends spoke. The DJ hired for the evening had an easy job assembling ten minutes of music before the reception hall had to close.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 07:51 AM
link   
The last wedding where I was the best man, I did a fun (but old) trick. Before the toast and speech, I had numerous copies of a key made. I then handed a key to many of the attending ladies, and explained the gag, and to keep it hush hush. I also gave one to a guy, hehe... Anyhow, during the speech, I said, "Well, now that (groom) is off the market and taken, he's requested that his former lovers please relinquish their keys to his apartment...so if you would, please come forward." The laughter as the procession came forward was priceless, but when the guy came up and deposited his key...they just lost it, hehe....

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
The last wedding where I was the best man, I did a fun (but old) trick. Before the toast and speech, I had numerous copies of a key made. I then handed a key to many of the attending ladies, and explained the gag, and to keep it hush hush. I also gave one to a guy, hehe... Anyhow, during the speech, I said, "Well, now that (groom) is off the market and taken, he's requested that his former lovers please relinquish their keys to his apartment...so if you would, please come forward." The laughter as the procession came forward was priceless, but when the guy came up and deposited his key...they just lost it, hehe....

I never heard of that one before, but it's tucked away in the memory now...

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I think it'll depend on who can speak well & speak the language.

For example, one family side is french and the other side is english.

The speech(es) will need to spoken twice, once in french & again in english.

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 01:04 AM
link   

That one is great!!! i'll have to try that if i'm ever best man.

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Yep, usually just the best man here in the US, though many extend this to the rest of the groomsmen as well....

Sorry, honey, but you did not do as much wedding research as I did.....The maid of honor often gives a speech as well (even though ours did not). It is also common for the bridal couple to make their own speeches to thank their guests. And in some cases (such as our wedding), the parents wish to make a speech to welcome their new in law into the family!

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Sorry, honey, but you did not do as much wedding research as I did.....The maid of honor often gives a speech as well (even though ours did not). It is also common for the bridal couple to make their own speeches to thank their guests. And in some cases (such as our wedding), the parents wish to make a speech to welcome their new in law into the family!

Fair enough, no I didn't research the customs for a year like SOMEONE did, hehe....
I'm going on observation, as for some strange reason, we've been to more weddings this past year, then the number I've been to cumulatively during my life before. Not only going to them, but being in the wedding party.... I'd listen to my wife on this though, she's definitely the authority here, hehe....

EDIT: Gazrok here....seems my wife's cookies still had her logged in here...weird....

[edit on 17-4-2005 by MrsGazrok]

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 11:30 PM
link   
In Portugal its usally both the father of the groom and bryde... or the closest male relative in case the father is dead...

new topics

top topics

join