It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do atheists care what other people believe?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Croat56 and Simon_the_byron-

I've noticed that most atheists don't try to disprove god. They've come to their own conclusions, and, if correct, then that makes religion something of a problem, considering what it sometimes makes some people do. So why shouldn't they take an interest in it? Heck, look at the end of croat's post. If the beleivers are right, then the atheists get tortured and destroyed? Why shouldn't atheists point out that that kind of beleif system is nonsensical and that a creator of the universe isn't going to destroy its own creation for having rational conclusions? Why should an atheist just let that kind of thinking run rampant thru society and history?

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I have ALWAYS wondered why the Godless choose to try and make those who have a Belief in god bow to there perspective.....In my mind anyway the fact that we are the Prefect distance from Sun so that we do not freeze or burn.....And a moon to control the tides tell me there was a plan.....Explosions Create CHAOS and disorder...Our ecosystem is Harmonious and perfect for sustaining life this SHOUTS planning to me....

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Truth_Hunter_1976
.....In my mind anyway the fact that we are the Prefect distance from Sun so that we do not freeze or burn.....

Melanoma (Skin Cancer) Incidence Doubles Since 1973
Cover up kiddies! That sun will kill you.

Or if doesn't the cold will.

Somewhat related.

Not related at all.

As for me, I'm just grateful I wasn't born in a volcano. Because that would be hot. Or the middle of space. Because that would be cold.

Brilliant!!!

[edit on 12-4-2005 by RANT]

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Inmy mind anyway the fact that we are the Prefect distance from Sun so that we do not freeze or burn

Perfect? The planet is in part of a large range in which life, as its evolved on earth, can exist.

And a moon to control the tides tell me there was a plan

You suggest then that god wanted tides? That earth would some how not be 'proper' without....tides?

Our ecosystem is Harmonious and perfect for sustaining life this SHOUTS planning to me

Planning? Why not adaptation? Adaptation explains the system better than 'planning'. The system isn't planned very 'well'. Whats the organizing principle anyway? Efficiency of energy consumption? Or is the system designed to illustrate moral lessons for man? The 'system' isn't designed to do anything, its parts are adapated to each other, thats all.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 12:48 PM
link   

I have ALWAYS wondered why the Godless choose to try and make those who have a Belief in god bow to there perspective.....In my mind anyway the fact that we are the Prefect distance from Sun so that we do not freeze or burn.....And a moon to control the tides tell me there was a plan.....Explosions Create CHAOS and disorder...Our ecosystem is Harmonious and perfect for sustaining life this SHOUTS planning to me....

I respect your interpretations of natural phenomena. If it makes you feel better that there is a "plan" to it all, good for you!

I am guilty of trying to find meaning in certain things, as well. "What is the meaning of life?" Right? Anyone heard that before?

Well, what if our interpretations our wrong? What if it is not the truth, Truth_Hunter1976? I think people make up stories to explain phenomena: there's a thunderstorm, we must of pissed off Zeus or some other god (depending on your religion/belief system); why do bad things happen to good people? They must have bad karma, or it's God's plan.

If you're thinking, "well, science is just a bunch of interpretations, too." You're correct. Science is also a lot of interpretation. However, science aims to explain phenomena based on logic, parsimony, and seeks rational answers. Theories and hypotheses are constantly being constructed and deconstructed among scientists. Science is a search for the truth. Science doesn't possess dogma, it is constantly changing. In science, the "best" answer wins. In other words, what makes the most sense is the correct explaination.

As for your post, I could say the same thing about believers (except I refuse to use more than one period at the end of a sentence, that's just annoying), "I have ALWAYS wondered why the God[-believers] choose to try and make those who [do not] have a Belief in god bow to there perspective."

Edit: I forgot to ask you what you meant by "Explosions Create CHAOS and disorder," and what that had to do with the rest of your post. So, what do you mean by that, and how does it fit in with the rest of your post?

This is kind of an intense discussion for BTS. So I will attempt to diffuse the seriousness by offering everyone here a picture of a bunny balancing a cup on it's head.

[edit on 4/12/05 by poonchang]

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 01:18 PM
link   
LOL there should be a coffee table book made of all those pictures.

Yeah, I have to say from what I've seen so far the people in here who try to belittle science exude a great lack of understanding of science. So why try to argue with people who are not only misinformed, but carry themselves as people who will NEVER attempt or come to understand what science really is?

I say just smile and politely decline any more debate on the grounds that the opposition doesn't know what the heck they are talking about.

Green

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Again, PoonChang, do you have a pet bunny or something?

On topic. Scientists prove why it rains, it isn't god taking a piss, it is a natural thing. Scientists prove why earth quakes happen, it isn't god tripping and falling down. Scienctists prove how ebola spreads, it isn't god's vengence. Science proves Earth is billions of years old, not 6,000 years old as taught by the bible/church. Science proves evolution, there is no debate amongst scientists, evolution is real, just as real as gravity or thermodynamics, while religon says created from dirt.

Science is based on real things in the real world, religon is based on fairy tales and impossible things. Like the flood, a world flood is impossible, not enough water. Yet according to the church you say different you going to hell.

Since science is real and religon isn't, this is why science wins everytime. Someone yelling at you in tounges makes no sense compared to the person explaining why if you bath once a year you won't wash your soul away or whatever reason the church gave to not bath more.

Top Ten Signs You're a Fundamentalist Christian
10 - You vigorously deny the existence of thousands of gods claimed by other religions, but feel outraged when someone denies the existence of yours.

9 - You feel insulted and "dehumanized" when scientists say that people evolved from other life forms, but you have no problem with the Biblical claim that we were created from dirt.

8 - You laugh at polytheists, but you have no problem believing in a Triune God.

7 - Your face turns purple when you hear of the "atrocities" attributed to Allah, but you don't even flinch when hearing about how God/Jehovah slaughtered all the babies of Egypt in "Exodus" and ordered the elimination of entire ethnic groups in "Joshua" including women, children, and trees!

6 - You laugh at Hindu beliefs that deify humans, and Greek claims about gods sleeping with women, but you have no problem believing that the Holy Spirit impregnated Mary, who then gave birth to a man-god who got killed, came back to life and then ascended into the sky.

5 - You are willing to spend your life looking for little loopholes in the scientifically established age of Earth (few billion years), but you find nothing wrong with believing dates recorded by Bronze Age tribesmen sitting in their tents and guessing that Earth is a few generations old.

4 - You believe that the entire population of this planet with the exception of those who share your beliefs -- though excluding those in all rival sects - will spend Eternity in an infinite Hell of Suffering. And yet consider your religion the most "tolerant" and "loving."

3 - While modern science, history, geology, biology, and physics have failed to convince you otherwise, some idiot rolling around on the floor speaking in "tongues" may be all the evidence you need to "prove" Christianity.

2 - You define 0.01% as a "high success rate" when it comes to answered prayers. You consider that to be evidence that prayer works. And you think that the remaining 99.99% FAILURE was simply the will of God.

1 - You actually know a lot less than many atheists and agnostics do about the Bible, Christianity, and church history - but still call yourself a Christian.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   
lol... I rest my case. I'm done here.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I really dont care if the universe was started by the big bang. Since God created the big bang(if its true). It doesnt explain where all those atoms came from though does it?

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   
? Thats kind of the idea of it. The atoms that are around 'congealed' out of the cooling of the big bang.
Science can't answer questions like 'why is there something, instead of nothing', and certainly there are lots of things that science has nothing to do with and that are specific to the domain of religion. Science doesn't disprove religion, nor can it be used to prove it. Science, as a system, is incapable of answering irrational metaphysical questions. Therefore, it isn't 'anti-god', its specifically mute on the subject.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
? Thats kind of the idea of it. The atoms that are around 'congealed' out of the cooling of the big bang.
Science can't answer questions like 'why is there something, instead of nothing', and certainly there are lots of things that science has nothing to do with and that are specific to the domain of religion. Science doesn't disprove religion, nor can it be used to prove it. Science, as a system, is incapable of answering irrational metaphysical questions. Therefore, it isn't 'anti-god', its specifically mute on the subject.

Thats exactly what Im trying to say. Thanks Nygdan. Im all for science, it is one of my favorite classes. I cant wait till I take physics and principles of engineering next year.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 04:37 PM
link   
We don't care. But, people are always trying to shove their religion down our throats. This get irritating. May be if religious people would spent more time praying and less time trying to convince us of the impossible, there would be peace on Earth.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by NotTooHappy
We don't care. But, people are always trying to shove their religion down our throats. This get irritating. May be if religious people would spent more time praying and less time trying to convince us of the impossible, there would be peace on Earth.

Proof that there are atheists who care about it and want to destroy it.
Proof

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
Whaaaa????? Wait, so saying the earth is flat is wrong means we have a religon? So telling people that science explains why it rains means we are religous? WTF? How does that work? Teaching facts/science/reality isn't a religon, it is trying to educate the idiots of the world who still fear someone coming down and smacking them for eating meat at 4pm on august 22 every other leap year or some other bs rule.

Faith, belief and religion are all the same way of saying one thing ,,,,,I have the answers and the way and I can prove it....granted however in religion the proof is mostly historic when given up for review but in the simplest turns all three are one and the same. As for science , science is an interpritation of facts to form a believable end, in such again it falls in this catagory , whats to say our interpritations in science no matter wether or not the results work are in fact the original way they where to be worked out, we dont so we go on the belief that we know the answer because it fits a question, but do you have the original question or not.

Look every thing in existance that comes to be a mode of operation of discussion , is simple a design of one person or group of persons who got someone to belive in there information, that doesnt mean the informations original construct was as interpreted.

AS A MATTER OF FACT as far as that goes I believe no matter your position we are all basically formulating our own versions of the exact same end, be you athiest, creationists, scientist, jewish , catholis, etc so on all believe the same answers they just have a differnt question in which to attribute them , scientists say the big bang created life, religious people say god created life, atheists have multiple variations however even they say something created life, now to interpret this information in a way relative to most I would argue they are all speaking of the exact same person the creator no matter the vail they give him/her under a name or discription of events.

[edit on 12/4/2005 by drbryankkruta]

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Religion and science are opposed, but only in the same sense as that in which my thumb and forefinger are opposed and between the two one can grasp everything - Sir William Bragg

My first comment (page 1) was not directed at all atheists, merely those that attempt to belittle those with faith.

Personally I don't take everything in the bible literally, I think to do so is ridiculous. I believe there is a lot of symbolism and hidden meanings in the bible - things that need to be throughly thought through (My English teacher would be proud) to be appreciated.

It's the lessons that are important, details merely confuse and cause unneeded arguments.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Simon_the_byron
Religion and science are opposed, but only in the same sense as that in which my thumb and forefinger are opposed and between the two one can grasp everything - Sir William Bragg

My first comment (page 1) was not directed at all atheists, merely those that attempt to belittle those with faith.

Personally I don't take everything in the bible literally, I think to do so is ridiculous. I believe there is a lot of symbolism and hidden meanings in the bible - things that need to be throughly thought through (My English teacher would be proud) to be appreciated.

It's the lessons that are important, details merely confuse and cause unneeded arguments.

Bravo .....a less wordy thing that points out the issue I was pointing out maybe I will consult with you this took alot less keystroke effort but did the same job in my opinion , details are flawed excuses for the confusion that the answer exists just because and we need not know why but rather how can we use it to our benefit and the benefit of fellow man.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I love it how the religious folk continuously accuse us non-religious folk of forcing our lack of religion down their throat... have you guys been living under rocks? do atheists go door knocking and try to convert christians in in their own homes... do atheists go too poor countries and con the people to not believe in god...

While i dont hold a hatred for religion (you guys can waste your lives all you want i dont really care, as long as it doesnt affect me), buti can see why alot of people would like to see religion abolished... but i think faith is a good thing for many people who would be lost without it... some people need a higher power to look up to and depend on... some also need reassurance that no nmatter how crappy your life is theres a better one coming, while others need fear to live a good life... i dont need these things, alot of people dont...

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Off Topic/Interesting side note.

Well, just saw Groped by an Angel and it made me think, christians are really out there. Quinn was "saved" by her Guardian Angel because it told her not to buy the same sweater. It made me think, is this how christians think? They are "saved" by someone who probably didn't exist but hey, they think so. In the end Quinn's sister told her "Hey, believe what you want as long as it makes you happy." and "Of course there is a higher power watching us, the IRS and those guys in black helicopters are everywhere."

On Topic.

Hey, I asked that to, but since I don't believe in fairy people and zombies that fly off into the sky and such I am not allowed to talk/ask questions. Still waiting for athiests to burn crosses on my lawn saying how I am going to hell. Or fire bombing some poor witches house, or hanging people for using medicine.(sure it's been what? 15-20 years since they've done that)

Also, I would rather have athiests going around teaching the truth/reality/science/facts forcefully then christians going around killing anyone who won't please the priest.

Edit. Yes, that was the name, Groped by an Angel. "You would think differently if your life was touched by an angel." "I would be to busy suing for harressment." "Don't say that, they'll hear you, angels are everywhere." "Fine, then I am going upstairs and talk about you behing your back."

[edit on 13-4-2005 by James the Lesser]

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Well, I never have really tryed to disprove a religion, although i do hate religion. My reason for that is people kill for religion, and to put it simply, i dont like killing.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 03:34 AM
link   
People kill for money, sex, love, power, and peace, do you hate all of those things too?

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join