It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Indonesia Quake Spurs Rush to High Ground

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 10:32 AM
link   
JAKARTA, Indonesia - Another undersea earthquake hit Sunday morning at 1029GMT near the Indonesian island of Sumatra and again had people fleeing their homes in panic, but the temblor was not strong enough to generate a tsunami, seismologistsand meteorologists said. The quake measured 6.8 on the Richter scale and no tsunami warning has been issued. Reuters is saying there were reports of houses flattened elsewhere on Sumatra, but as of three hours after the quake hit there were no reports of any casualties.

story.news.yahoo.com
PADANG, Indonesia (Reuters) - An earthquake of magnitude 6.8 rattled parts of Indonesia on Sunday, sending people in this city on Sumatra island rushing out of their homes and heading toward high ground in fear of a possible tsunami.

An official said there were reports of houses flattened elsewhere on Sumatra, but as of three hours after the quake hit there were no reports of any casualties.

Jakarta-based meteorological analyst Wijayanto also told Reuters "there are no tsunami reports, so residents can return home, but they must still be careful of aftershocks."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Fortunately, no injuries or deaths have been reported at this time; however, residents have been warned to look out for after shocks.

Now for the questions, does anyone know if this quake was predicted, if so where was it predicted to hit and at what depth?

The U.S. Geological Survey said this 6.8-magnitude tremor's epicenter was centered about 70 miles southwest of Padang, a city in western Sumatra, at a depth of nearly 19 miles, the U.S. Geological Survey said. The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in Honolulu, Hawaii centre noted however that "earthquakes of this size sometimes generate local tsunamis that can be destrucitve along coasts located within a few hundred kilometers to the earthquake epicenter,"

Map of epicenter can be found here www.prh.noaa.gov...

Related News Links:
story.news.yahoo.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Quake Watch 2005

[edit on 4/10/2005 by shots]

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Gawd thats three times now! Those poor people. The Earth really is losing it lately isnt it...

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I wonder if people can get earthquake insur. in the surrounding areas? These folks are living on borrowed time now. This makes three in a row and I shudder to think that they may be hit with another quake with an even higher magnitude. Prayers going out to those affected.

[edit on 10-4-2005 by FLYIN HIGH]

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Here is what has been tickling my brain. all those earthquakes, 3 powerful earthquakes have all been in the reigion of the largest volcano in the world which has not erupted in roughly 84,000 years.

Anyone think we should send some scientists to lake Toba and check the 'canos temperature? Yellowstone gets all the attention for supervolcanos but Toba has been more active recently.

Also i truly belive that is the worst place in the world to live, they had Krakatoa, Toba, Tsunami, and the One that knocked out Homo floresiensis on Flores. I know there is alot of other volcanic hotspots, but it seems some of the biggest have all been in that part of the world in the last 100,000 years.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   
And one more

Magnitude 5.6 NORTHERN PERU
Sunday, April 10, 2005 at 17:41:39 UTC
Preliminary Earthquake Report
U.S. Geological Survey, National Earthquake Information Center
World Data Center for Seismology, Denver

Magnitude 6.0 - NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
2005 April 10 22:22:15 UTC

There is at least one a day all over the world.

[edit on 10-4-2005 by switchblade]

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by switchblade
And one more

Magnitude 5.6 NORTHERN PERU
Sunday, April 10, 2005 at 17:41:39 UTC

Magnitude 6.0 - NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
2005 April 10 22:22:15 UTC

There is at least one a day all over the world.

[edit on 10-4-2005 by switchblade]

Thanks Switch I was just going to add the one in Japan but I did not know about the one in peru.

Geesh and we are only into the fourth month of the year, not a good sign at all.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Now probs shots

I find earthquake.usgs.gov...

is the best place on the net
to keep up to date.

join