It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India to acquire 400 more T-90 tanks from Russia

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by W4rl0rD
To Mirza:

Grow a brain. That is a Hummer and GM sold the license to produce it to Dongfeng motors. You should really read the reports before you just copy and paste part of it.

Chinese piracy? Deal with it, China is not the only one who pirates things. And no, we are not talking about the damn military, we are talking about DVDs and VCDs! Heck, even the great USA has a piracy problem

i think there is more than hummer and vcd apirate kingdom

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 02:10 AM
link   
I'm surprised the Type 98 uses spaced armour rather than some indegenous composite armour. After all the Chinese are emerging with a strong materials science industrial base.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 02:13 AM
link   
You can't really stop piracy, and its not only in China. Also, the Hummer is not even half copied by the Chinese. Unless you can show me something which shows that the Chinese really stole some design, you lost the argument. Better stop here before I say the tank with the Arjun turret on a T-72 chassis is just another copy. BTW, what does piracy have to do with T-90s? Better get back on topic

Let me get it started again.

Basically, this deal will be quite useful...I can see these tanks being the backbone of the Indian army for quite a few years to come. Also, with the Arjun, they might want to incorporate some tech from the T-90 into the Arjun.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 02:17 AM
link   
The Type-98 is not really going to be produced en masse like the Abrams or Challenger tanks...Its more like a technology demonstrator. Currently, the Type-88 is the leading Chinese MBT, and there are no plans so far to replace it with the Type-98.

However,they will probably keep modifying the Type-98 with the latest technology until they have it at a decent level, something like the Leopard 2, all the way from the original to the Leopard 2A6,until they settle on something good enough for the PLA's needs.

And, the Type-98 is pretty expensive for a tank. It might be only issued to the Cat A / Elite / Rapid Reaction forces, others might get the Type-88 instead.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 02:17 AM
link   
back to topic

i think Arjun himself so refined that hardely need any tech transfer from t-90.
but if india find any think that could be replace on both they can do it.
but currently i dont think so.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 02:21 AM
link   
I think there is plenty of room for improvement, for example using the cheaper T-90 chassis with the Arjun turret, or maybe instead using Arjun technology in the T-90. Using better fire control and optics in the T-90 should make it fare better, maybe like what they did with the Su-30s, stick in Indian and Israeli avonics to make it more deadly.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Indians armoured forces are primarily geared to taking on Pakistan, so whatever it is a T-90 or Arjun, they are move than capable of taking on the Pakistani junk.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 02:28 AM
link   
i think this is the up to date news which can give to you answer^^^
-------------------~~~~~~~------------------

Arjun Tank is the Main Battle Tank developed by DRDO (Defence Research and Development) in India.

Specifications

The Arjun is a 120mm armed tank designed in synch with western design practices—having a crew of four, heavy composite armour, significant crew protection features—such as blow off panels and ammunition separated from the crew. It weighs in at 58.5 tons. Hence it is being inducted slowly by the Indian Army, whose logistics are attuned to lighter 40 ton class tanks such as the T-72M1. The T-72 forms the bedrock of the Indian Army and is being modernised in stages to present day standards, with Arjun technology spinoffs and features such as Explosive Reactive Armour (ERA), new fire control system, thermal imagers, better NBC protection, integrated fire protection system, etc.

The Arjun has a modern Fire Control System, stabilised in two axes, with an extremely high hit probability made by BEL India and designed by DRDO and BEL. It replaced an earlier system which was plagued with problems. Its combined with a day sight and an imported Thermal imager. The Thermal Imager is a 2nd generation unit and is reportedly from Israel's El-op. The commander has his own stabilised panoramic sight and can engage targets or hand them over to the gunner.

The Arjun incorporates a GPS-based navigation system, sophisticated frequency hopping radios and a state of the art Battle Field Management system—part of an ambitious Indian plan to network all their fighting units. All these systems were designed and developed by DRDO and BEL and are being manufactured by Bharat Electronics Ltd (BEL).

The 120mm gun is a rifled one of Indian design and fires long rod FSAPDS Kinetic Energy rounds, High explosive squash head—HESH rounds and the Israeli semiactive laser guided LAHAT missile. There are two machine guns—one coaxial with the 120mm, another a 12.7mm intended for anti-aircraft use and engaging infantry.

The Arjun also has Laser Warning receivers and uses them in conjunction with smoke launchers.

The turret and glacis are heavily armoured and use "Kanchan" (gold) composite armour—tested and proven against all Antitank rounds the Indian Army expects to face in the future battlefield.

The turret is designed keeping the anthropemetrical data of Indian troops in mind. And has crew protection features—it keeps the ammunition separated from the crew. The Arjun also features Indian designed fire detection and suppression systems plus full NBC protection for the crew of four: Gunner, Commander, Loader and Driver.

The engine and transmission are provided by MTU and Renk respectively. The Engine is 1400 hp and integrated with an Indian turbocharger and gearbox. A local transmission is under trials and will ultimately replace the Renk supplied unit. The cooling pack has been designed for desert operations.

Despite its weight, the Arjun has a lower ground pressure than the T-72 and this aids it in the desert.

Similarly the tracks were being supplied by Diehl but are to be now made by an Indian engineering major, L&T Lmtd.

The similarity in looks between the Arjun and the Leopard 2A4 thanks to the design consultancy given by Krauss Maffei, and the involvement of German firms in the project has led some to dub the Arjun as Leopard-I, where I stands for India.

But over the years, the constant revisions and design changes have placed Arjun in its own slot. And therein lies the problem, despite its technical sophistication, the Arjun is deemed too expensive and "different", in terms of weight and logistics, for the Indian Army to adopt as its standard, bread and butter Main Battle Tank. Hence India is all set to manufacture 1000 T-90S tanks licensed from Russia, after importing and license assembling another 310.

In the meanwhile the Indian Army has ordered 124 Arjuns and is gearing to group them in a dedicated unit along with the prior prototypes and test tanks, all of which are now deemed operational. The first 15 tanks out of the 124 have been produced already. And the Indian Army recently (2004-08-07) inducted the first five tanks of the remaining 109.

The planned production rate being 30 tanks per year, but the Army wishes for it to be 50 per year.

In time, as the Arjuns get inducted, it is feasible that the Indian Army may order more.

Over the years the Arjun has surmounted many hurdles: it was redesigned from being a 40-ton tank armed with a 105mm gun to todays 58.5 ton behemoth. It has had engine and FCS issues, which were overcome.

But in the process, India has acquired its own armaments complex and the ability to make modern state of the art armoured vehicles.

The Arjun might be converted into a 155 mm self-propelled howitzer by fitting the South African T6 turret which has the G5 howitzer

fitted.link

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Yep. Several Type-85s have been sold to Pakistan, it would be interesting to see how well they fare, but they are still a generation behind both tanks. There is also a joint project with China, its called the MBT-2000, not much info available on it so far.

Hmm...maybe fitting the warning sensors and fire control on the T-90 will be a good idea. Since there is not much threat from Pakistan using superior tanks, they might just want to use more T-90s instead of making more Arjuns to replace the T-72s.

[edit on 15/5/05 by W4rl0rD]

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by rogue1
I'm surprised the Type 98 uses spaced armour rather than some indegenous composite armour. After all the Chinese are emerging with a strong materials science industrial base.

Rogue1 i dont think that the t98 is going to even come into service. it doesn't make a sense to put a tank into sevice that only going to rivial other tanks for another 5 years or so.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by rogue1
Indians armoured forces are primarily geared to taking on Pakistan, so whatever it is a T-90 or Arjun, they are move than capable of taking on the Pakistani junk.

the Al Khalid is a good tank. good for desert conditions and cheap enough to enter service into the pkaistani army in large numbers

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 02:38 AM
link   
the Al Khalid is the chinese t-90-II tank also kown as the mbt-2000

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by chinawhite
the Al Khalid is the chinese t-90-II tank also kown as the mbt-2000

Read my first post on this thread. India is buying 400 more T-90S's to ensure pakistan dont even come close to india even after buying Al-khalid's.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 10:03 AM
link   

I think there is plenty of room for improvement, for example using the cheaper T-90 chassis with the Arjun turret, or maybe instead using Arjun technology in the T-90. Using better fire control and optics in the T-90 should make it fare better, maybe like what they did with the Su-30s, stick in Indian and Israeli avonics to make it more deadly.

Yes the Arjun alredy uses some hi-tech Israeli, French, Russian, South African and German components.

[edit on 15-5-2005 by Stealth Spy]

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stealth Spy

Yes the Arjun alredy uses some hi-tech Israeli, French, Russian, South African and German components.

stealth spy after what mirza2003 said..

My thinking what parts of the arjun is indian??? isn't the gun british

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 01:29 PM
link   
you really has small memory and habit to read post as you want .

read article here on ATS ther is enough post give your answer.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by chinawhite

Originally posted by Stealth Spy

stealth spy after what mirza2003 said..

My thinking what parts of the arjun is indian??? isn't the gun british

it is not me you

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by mirza2003
you really has small memory and habit to read post as you want .

read article here on ATS ther is enough post give your answer.

no
hehehe

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 06:29 AM
link   

top topics

<< 8  9  10   >>

join