It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India to acquire 400 more T-90 tanks from Russia

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Some Arjun pics :

CAD pic

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   
another neat line drawing :

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 01:05 PM
link   
More on DRDO's next Tank - X

DRDO's latest experimental tank designated 'Tank-Ex' is an Arjun/T-72 hybrid integrating the weapon system and armour of the former with the automotive system of the latter. Most of the Arjun's features including the 120mm rifled gun and Kanchan armour, not to mention GPS, NBC protection, a thermal imager integrated into the gunner's main sight and a standby articulated sight, have been included.
- -

A hybrid between the chassis of the T-72 and the turret of the Arjun, DRDO has developed Tank-Ex on its own initiative and is not based on a stated Indian Army requirement. Although having successfully undergone 6 months of gruelling preliminary trials in the deserts of Rajasthan, the tank is still undergoing additional technical trials by DRDO.
- -

Weighing 47 tonnes and using a 1000 hp engine, Tank-Ex can achieve a top speed of 60 km/h on roads and 35 km/h across rough terrain, a power to weight ratio of 21 HP/tonne and ground pressure of 0.94 kgf/cm².
- -

The reengineered turret has an independent, fully stabilised commander's sight for surveillance, target acquisition and engagement, and a global positioning system to assist navigation and situational awareness.
- -

Tank-Ex possesses a nuclear, biological and chemical (NBC) warfare defensive system and an auxiliary power unit to operate weapon systems in silent watch mode.

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by W4rl0rD
More Information on the Arjun:

Specifications
The Arjun is a 120mm armed tank designed in synch with western design practices—having a crew of four, heavy composite armour, significant crew protection features—such as blow off panels and ammunition separated from the crew. It weighs in at 58.5 tons. Hence it is being inducted slowly by the Indian Army, whose logistics are attuned to lighter 40 ton class tanks such as the T-72M1. The T-72 forms the bedrock of the Indian Army and is being modernised in stages to present day standards, with Arjun technology spinoffs and features such as Explosive Reactive Armour (ERA), new fire control system, thermal imagers, better NBC protection, integrated fire protection system, etc.

The Arjun has a modern Fire Control System, stabilised in two axes, with an extremely high hit probability made by BEL India and designed by DRDO and BEL. It replaced an earlier system which was plagued with problems. Its combined with a day sight and an imported Thermal imager. The Thermal Imager is a 2nd generation unit and is reportedly from Israel's El-op. The commander has his own stabilised panoramic sight and can engage targets or hand them over to the gunner.

The Arjun incorporates a GPS-based navigation system, sophisticated frequency hopping radios and a state of the art Battle Field Management system—part of an ambitious Indian plan to network all their fighting units. All these systems were designed and developed by DRDO and BEL and are being manufactured by Bharat Electronics Ltd (BEL).

The 120mm gun is a rifled one of Indian design and fires long rod FSAPDS Kinetic Energy rounds, High explosive squash head—HESH rounds and the Israeli semiactive laser guided LAHAT missile. There are two machine guns—one coaxial with the 120mm, another a 12.7mm intended for anti-aircraft use and engaging infantry.

The Arjun also has Laser Warning receivers and uses them in conjunction with smoke launchers.

The turret and glacis are heavily armoured and use "Kanchan" (gold) composite armour—tested and proven against all Antitank rounds the Indian Army expects to face in the future battlefield.

The turret is designed keeping the anthropemetrical data of Indian troops in mind. And has crew protection features—it keeps the ammunition separated from the crew. The Arjun also features Indian designed fire detection and suppression systems plus full NBC protection for the crew of four: Gunner, Commander, Loader and Driver.

The engine and transmission are provided by MTU and Renk respectively. The Engine is 1400 hp and integrated with an Indian turbocharger and gearbox. A local transmission is under trials and will ultimately replace the Renk supplied unit. The cooling pack has been designed for desert operations.

Despite its weight, the Arjun has a lower ground pressure than the T-72 and this aids it in the desert.

Similarly the tracks were being supplied by Diehl but are to be now made by an Indian engineering major, L&T Lmtd.

The similarity in looks between the Arjun and the Leopard 2A4 thanks to the design consultancy given by Krauss Maffei, and the involvement of German firms in the project has led some to dub the Arjun as Leopard-I, where I stands for India.

But over the years, the constant revisions and design changes have placed Arjun in its own slot. And therein lies the problem, despite its technical sophistication, the Arjun is deemed too expensive and "different", in terms of weight and logistics, for the Indian Army to adopt as its standard, bread and butter Main Battle Tank. Hence India is all set to manufacture 1000 T-90S tanks licensed from Russia, after importing and license assembling another 310.

In the meanwhile the Indian Army has ordered 124 Arjuns and is gearing to group them in a dedicated unit along with the prior prototypes and test tanks, all of which are now deemed operational. The first 15 tanks out of the 124 have been produced already. And the Indian Army recently (2004-08-07) inducted the first five tanks of the remaining 109.

The planned production rate being 30 tanks per year, but the Army wishes for it to be 50 per year.

In time, as the Arjuns get inducted, it is feasible that the Indian Army may order more.

Over the years the Arjun has surmounted many hurdles: it was redesigned from being a 40-ton tank armed with a 105mm gun to todays 58.5 ton behemoth. It has had engine and FCS issues, which were overcome.

But in the process, India has acquired its own armaments complex and the ability to make modern state of the art armoured vehicles.

The Arjun might be converted into a 155 mm self-propelled howitzer by fitting the South African T6 turret which has the G5 howitzer fitted.

I think this is quite impressive, being able to move at 70km/h at 55 tons. It is currently using a imported German 1,400 HP diesel engine. Very mobile, considering that a M1A2 uses a 1,500 HP gas engine while only being able to go up to 50km/h.

Production variants will reportedly be fitted with a locally-designed engine developing 1500 hp.

Maximum Speed: 72 km/h (45 mph) - road.
.......................40 km/h (25 mph) - cross-country

Maximum Range: Un-refuelled range in combat; 450 km (280 miles) - estimate.

Maximum Fuel Capacity: 1610 litres.

Gradient: 77º.

Slide Slope: 40%.

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   
good post but some pic of tank -ex is already post by me in his thread [india new mbt karna]

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 01:28 PM
link   
here's what happened to an Arhrams in Iraq :

No offence meant !

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 01:37 PM
link   
That's an M2A2 bradley

Not the best APC in the world by a long stretch

Warrior and BMP-3 are better

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stealth Spy
here's what happened to an Arhrams in Iraq :

No offence meant !

im surprise that a person like u know so much about tanks that u mistake a bradley for the tank, u dink u could at least give a sec to look at the gun to see it aint no tank gun.

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucretius
That's an M2A2 bradley

Not the best APC in the world by a long stretch

Warrior and BMP-3 are better

i dont dink no matter which IFV is better, anything built by man can be destroy by man. if the warrior or bmp 3 had encounter that IED they be experiencing wat the Brad did.

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   
The warrior has chobham armour bolted on to the basic design which provides protection against RPG's

Not one warrior has been lost in iraq... nor has a single challenger II apart from one due to a Charm III hesh round to the rear of the turrent in a friendly fire incident.

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   
First of all pictures don't prove anything.
When you consider the number of Bradley's in Iraq Vs. the number of Warriors you can see which one is more vulnerable to an attack.

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I am nowhere nearly a tank-expert, but maybe they bought the large amount of russian tanks not for the technical specs as opposed to the indeginous design, but rather you buy an ally, just like pakistan buys old blocks of f-16, that the Pakistani know themselves very well doesn't stand out against the latest generation american/russian/european birds... ????

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucretius
The warrior has chobham armour bolted on to the basic design which provides protection against RPG's

Not one warrior has been lost in iraq... nor has a single challenger II apart from one due to a Charm III hesh round to the rear of the turrent in a friendly fire incident.

only cause the warriors havent gone to where brads have gone to and thats the triangle of death thriller

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stealth Spy

Originally posted by chinawhite

ALso india has the worlds largest number of people under poverty line all 250+ million.

look on the bright side. that means 850+ million people live normal lives.

besides, china too has over 100+ million people living in poverty.

should i mention china's horrible human rights record too..? heck the chinese regime have killed 40+ million of their own people.

but the good news is that both countries are making huge strides in eradicating poverty. in india approximately 25 million people get lifted out of povetry anually!

also the LCA is under development not developed.

the LCA is alredy developed and is now in testing. it's alredy completed over 380 hours of flying in addition to all the ground based testing.100+ hours of supersonic testing too.

LCA to be inducted into the IAF in 2008

Anyone could work on hyperplanes its if you finish the project that matters

i agree. if you check out the avatar thread, u'll find out that the unmanned prototype is to fly in 2007.

i could debate on china's XXJ stealth fighter programme on the same lines too..

any source to 3rd largest GDP in 10 years

i read in a mag.nothing official about it, its just a prediction by a team of economists. the same article also says that china will replace USA as the world's largest economy by 2035. now that's heady stuff!

We could go on squabbling this forever, but the reality is that india and china are slowly but surely inching towards lasting friendship
.the border dispute will soon be a thing of the past

China have categorically accepted Sikkim as a part of india, and india have accepted Tibet as an autonomous part of China

The visits of the two premiers have put things in place to make the next century an "Asian one"

ok peace no one china bash and i wont india bash

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by mirza2003
any details of the pic plz post it here

china white your like dislike did not matter here

www.thetruthseeker.co.uk...

If you think about this the t-98 might be a tech demonstator. it hasn't been put in production and only 19 tanks were shown in the 1999. why would china fled a
tank that is going to be outclassed in 5-10 years. they could be using the tech on the t-98 to develop a new tank

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Hey wasn't the Arjun having problems? I read that its engine is too weak for its heavy body and it had a lot of trouble travelling through rough terrain. What happened to it now? Project cancelled?

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 06:39 PM
link   
There were several problems with Arjun, I listed them in the pages before.

THis is not offensive, I am simply pointing out the facts.

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 10:11 PM
link   
same i point out already that all the problam is solved regarding arjun
your points is based on old news did you find any new source which can
update you.

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 10:24 PM
link   
See that I used "were"? Read my posts man. And not all problems were fixed on the Arjun, still has foreign engine, optics are only compromised....
Whatever, this could go on forever back and forth.

Wow, I just noticed that Arjun takes 4 personells to man. Thats more people than the other modern MBTs.

[edit on 22-4-2005 by COWlan]

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join