It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Info Needed on Sick Buildings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I just discovered that my apartment building has black mold and who knows what else. ...Have been very sick and getting sicker since renovations started in February and opened up basement and walls. ...My daughter's marks fell 20% in the last 2 1/2 months too. Now paint fumes and other toxins are added.

...Am moving and expect to improve quickly - but want to know standard symptoms. Anyone have any good links, know more?

Thanks, sofi

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Sorry to hear about that soficrow.
WE in Texas had a fairly bad rash of this a couple of years ago.
Here is a link with the information that you asked for.
Black Mold

[edit on 10-4-2005 by kenshiro2012]

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Call your local health department and have them come to your home. I wouldn't wait, especially if you have young children.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Wow!

Sorry to hear about that Soficrow.

Here is the FDA fact sheet on sick building syndrome:

www.epa.gov...

Ventilation would seem to be your best bet until you can move out. It still gets a bit cold at night to leave to windows open but if you can stand it leave at least one open. Maybe use a window fan to create air circulation.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Thanks for the links Kenshiro and Gools. Helps. ...FYI - I always leave windows open at least a crack - and lately have been able to have them almost wide open. ...Found out that Environment Canada inspected the building and tested the air quality last summer, plus the renovations are government funded (?!) - but tenants were not notified formally about any problems. ...We are moving next weekend, and I'm hoping the change will do the trick. Turns out to be a blessing in disguise, and a good move...

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 09:49 PM
link   
sry to hear this...

this will be a great thread because there could be mold in my house...

and i hate it!!!

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a few years ago in the Chicago area there was a rash of ilnesses and deaths in kids related to the black mold. They have a show on Medical Mysteries on Discovery channel about it every now and then. If you are in an apartment building with it, it means you probably rent the apartment, which also means you can probably leave. Get out of that place! No amount money or inconvenience is worth it.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedBalloon
a few years ago in the Chicago area there was a rash of ilnesses and deaths in kids related to the black mold. They have a show on Medical Mysteries on Discovery channel about it every now and then. ...Get out of that place! No amount money or inconvenience is worth it.

We're outta here next weekend. FYI - both my parents died recently - and both had lung cancer. Our family home has mold in the basement (it's over 100 years old) - I am convinced there's a link. ...Have some files on it somewhere.

top topics

join