It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Welcome a new ATS member, thisiswrong

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 06:26 AM
link   
i am interested in your topic discussion on MADD and the dwi laws
i have recently been charged with 2nd dwi and i would like to share my experiences for both times... i feel the system is wrong and violated my rights yet i have no seeming recourse...i am a nurse so i am really worried about how this could affect my whole life...
these laws are out of control and the experiences of others in my 'dwi classes' has only reinforced my feelings

this whole dwi thing is out of control and it needs to be checked before basic law abiding citizens are labeled as felons or incarcerated or worse

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Welcome to ATS. The DUI laws are structured to get the most money out of the offenders. I too have had 2 DUIs. Pay your dues. And seek a hardship license as soon as they allow it. Losing your license for 5 years is no laughing matter. I think you have to wait 6 months before you can get a hardship license. It may be a year, I don't remember. Be prepared for that. Hopefully, you are married or have some good friends. Because the U.S. isn't known for it's reliable public transportation (i'm assuming that's where you are).

I actually enjoyed the second DUI "class". Got to learn all about the effects of narcotics. It wasn't worth the money though.

There used to be a way around the losing your license thing but that loophole has been patched.

You are correct. There is no recourse. And it's wrong. But so are a lot of laws and the repercussions attached. It's all about getting that last drop of blood from a dry stone. Extract yourself from the system as quickly as you can. Once they get you it's hard to get out. I used to go 3 months on a bench warrant (for missing court dates). The judge would always just laugh and ask how I made it so long without getting picked up. Little did he know I drove to the court house on a suspended license. Fun times.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I hope you find a solution to your situation that you can live with.

And, welcome to ATS. I hope you hang around long enough to see all the other nifty topics.

Here
is a hand book of links that may help you answer some questions you have about stuff on ATS

If you have any questions feel free to u2u me, or any other staff member.

Also, for avatar info, here are kinglizard's avatar instructions

Also, here's a great link to help you organize your favorite forums. It will also keep threads you post in as favorites: www.abovetopsecret.com...
This link is also up at the top as myATS

And, don't forget to check out PTS and BTS. You can log in to these other two forums with your ATS login information.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I think DWI laws are good, Everytime you drink and drive you put someones life at risk, other than yours.

Welcome and enjoy your long stay here at the great ATS.

[edit on 10-4-2005 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Tthe laws are there for a reason. How about quit drinking and driving? Make the right choice and don't drive. Next time you may not be so lucky and end up killing another person (mother,father, daughter,son, etc.).

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Welcome aboard, thisiswrong!!

Hope you enjoy your time here at ATS and don't forget that you can submit news stories to ATSNN and vote on other members' submissions!!

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   
shadow..

what can i expect... what happened with you... how long did you loose your license...and what did you mean get out of the system...any advice welcome... i tried to u2u you but i havent posted enough yet..

thanks to all of you who welcomed me...

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 11:44 AM
link   
thanks don't tread on me...

i hope i can find a solution i can live with also... because regardless of my crime and punishment ... i still have to live! and sad to say my mistake not only affects me... my child... and the people who love me who have to now go out of their way to drive me around... this really sucks ...i hate being a burden to others...

and yes to the other poster(sorry i dont know how to go back to get your name)...i am glad that no one was hurt...that would be harder to live with than even what i go thru now...

but i dont think the majority of people realize how EASY it is to get a dwi
they think they have to be doing something wrong... or driving crazy etc

im a living witness they do not...anyone and i mean anyone who drinks anything and drives within 24hrs...is subject to this whether impaired or not

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 12:13 PM
link   
The impairment levels are set to low, (IMO) the majority of impaired drivers are sober usually a drink over the limit. I would hazard a guess and say at 80% of impaired charges fall in the one drink over category, and not impaired at all. I see it as a money grab for governments and insurance companies.
And yes persons should not drive drunk.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisiswrong
shadow..

what can i expect... what happened with you... how long did you loose your license...and what did you mean get out of the system...any advice welcome... i tried to u2u you but i havent posted enough yet..

thanks to all of you who welcomed me...

A bit of delay in response here but that will get to ready to deal with the state. They ain't quick.

Overnight in the jail (nice jail though)
5 year license suspension (this was what really got me)
DUI School (somewhere around $500 or more)
Court dates (try not to miss them)
Court fees (they get you from every angle)
Probation dates (6 months I think)
Probation fees (every month)

I would say I spent in the neighborhood of $10,000 for the second DUI. There are multiple hoops for every aspect of the process. Keep your sense of humor about you. Much frustration awaits.

"To get out of the system" do everything exactly when they say to do it. Keep all your records. Every receipt, every copy, everything. Very important.

And of course, don't ever drink and drive again. Don't get any moving violations or you could get another charge; Habitual Traffic Offender. Hopefully your DUIs were more than a year apart. Mine weren't.

Good Luck.

new topics

top topics

join