It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Chinese Citizens Protest Japanese

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Apparently, after Japan asked the Chinese Government to take stronger measures in protecting Japanese citizens in China the Chinese Citizens become infuriated and protested in the Chinese capital. They started a massive protest, that included burning Japanese flags, and calling for a boycott of Japanese goods in China. Afterwards, the Chinese gov't appologized for their citizens behavior and said it wouldn't happen again.

www.cnn.com
BEIJING, China (CNN) -- As Japan's ambassador called on the Chinese government to take stronger measures to protect Japanese citizens in China, thousands of Chinese citizens took to the streets in another protest to call for a boycott of Japanese products and to shout anti-Japanese slogans.

[...]

Sunday's protest by about 3,000 protesters who surrounded Japan's consulate in Guangzhou, capital of the southern Guangdong province, followed Saturday's angry demonstration at Japan's embassy in Beijing.
The Japanese spokesman said the Chinese Deputy Foreign Minister expressed regret on behalf of his government for the Saturday protest and said the Chinese government could not allow it to happen again.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I don't really know what to say on this one, I mean it isn't as if China and Japan have a great history with each other. Also, it isn't as if they are getting along with each other at this current moment. I say no big surprise here, I actually expect things to heat up between Japan and China in the next year or so.

Related News Links:
story.news.yahoo.com

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Good story. I wonder how exactly the Chinese government can guarantee that it won't happen again.

Why were the Chinese demonstrators sparked to protest? What was it about this simple request that so insulted to the Chinese? Maybe I'm just ignorant, but I don't see a strong causal relationship here.

Zip

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Chinese protests without explicit consent from the Chinese government? Oh please

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I expect the Japanese history books to record the Chinese protest as that of dismay towards their own behaviour.....acting out at their having acted out....

Three thousand people protesting over another nation's request to improve relations and all around good will to their fellow man.......sheesh....I thought the neo-cons were radical.....

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Yeah, it doesn't seem too offensive. It made me think of the standard Japanese greeting, "hajimema#e," which literally translates to "please be kind to me."

Zip

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 11:13 AM
link   
China and Japan hate each other and I don't know why people cannot see it. Hell, Koreans aren't too fond of Japan. The Japs, raped and plundered the entire area and believe me you think 9-11 is going to be hard for us to forget? Heck, if you own a Japanese car in China and you park it on the street, first time the police see it they will ticket you. If they see it that they have ticketed you before they will slash your tires. There is no friendliness between the two and it is easy to understand why. Take a world history class and you will understand why China hates not only Japan but also the west.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 11:27 AM
link   
turns out the protests are continuing today after the Chinese said it wouldn't happen again:

www.cnn.com... html

do you think there will be any backlash from this? Such as their relationships deteriorating even further?

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Subz is right. You can't organize a sewing circle in China without the express permission of the government. In communist China, these type of protests are not only allowed, but organized from the get-go by the ChiCom government. These anti-Japanese protests were well-planned events.

Hundreds of military police in riot gear lined up outside the embassy, while hundreds more police blocked nearby streets to keep the number of protesters down. Police moved in to end the protest after about an hour.

Let the protests run for an hour or so, with well-planned street blockage so that nobody who isn't meant to be there can join in, and then shut it down without incident once the point has been made. What happened to angry protesters who resist police attempts to disburse them?

This one was organized too...

...1999 when angry crowds demonstrated outside the U.S. Embassy after three Chinese were killed when the Chinese Embassy in Belgrade, in what was then the Yugoslav capital, was accidentally bombed.

*Radio announcer's voice*: Another protest proudly brought to you by the Chinese Communist Party. At CCP...your protest, is our voice.

[edit on 2005/4/10 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 04:13 PM
link   
The point is not who organized it but why it is happening. China feels threatened by a mercantilistic economy like Japan. Also, unlike other world leaders that people choose, in a communist country the leader is almost divinely chosen. Therefore a Japanese emperor who is "God" incarnate is a major threat to the communist control of the people of china. Not to mention the atrocities commited by the Japanese during their colonial expansion during the early half of the 20th century.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 04:29 PM
link   

The point is not who organized it but why it is happening.

I disagree. This is exactly the point. If the CCP organized the protests, then it is the voice of the government, not the people. The Chinese aren't fond of the Japanese, this is no secret, but it is doubtful they would rise up and protest in a country where protest is outlawed without being put there by the government. There were only a few thousand protestors anyway, which, considering the population of China, could be likened to 500 people protesting in Washington. The whole thing is a political, propagandist exercise by the CCP.

Not to mention the atrocities commited by the Japanese during their colonial expansion during the early half of the 20th century.

Right. This is the real reason. Not because of any perceived threat to control of the Chinese people from Japanese "God" Emperors. Anyway, I thought that Japan's Government was a parliamentary democracy.

TPL

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Aren't we over reacting a bit?

All this was sparked by the Japanese publishing new school history books that glossed over attrocities to the Chinese people committed to them by the Japanese. The Chinese people have right to be angry, it would like German history books missing out the holocaust.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 07:22 PM
link   
This is kinda freaky.

Just the other day (literally, the day of the protests) my Chinese friend was telling me about how China MUST have revenge for the Rape of Nanking.

He was basically saying China had not gotten over it. But in a self-justified way (just something they learned from whitey, I pointed out).

Its funny, the people who said China is afraid of Japan's economy. This is probably true of the average citizen, because they have been made afraid, I would presume.

But, Japan has NO military, and China's is massive! I mean, the only question is if they have enough boats to get to Japan in some kind of timely fashion.

This one has been set up for a long time, while we have been distracted with:
1) Palestine versus Jewroosalem/Eezrael, what we call the Opener in Boxing. They are lightweights, but boy, do they keep busy!
2) Pakistan versus India, the explosive midcard
3) The US versus Soviet Union, main event of the evening.
4) Card Extra!!! Chinese invasion of Japan for free!

He also said China is like a locomotive, you either get on board... Or you stand on the tracks.

Looks like the engine has started.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Japan has a military. They only act as peace keepers though, like Canadas military, but i believe thats because of the peace treaty they signed at the end of WW2.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 09:53 PM
link   
If China attacks Japan, Japan will have a military it is known as The United States Armed Forces. And they will respond without hesitation.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Japan has a miltary and if China ever attacked Japan the U.S. and many other countries would come to her defense.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Japan has a military, 60+ major surface vessels including helicopter carriers. All interoperable with the American Navy, but no Djohnston, no other country except the U.S would come to Japan's aid. Japan does not exactly have friends in East Asia.

China has about 50 major surface vessels (frigates + destroyers).

The protest were not organised by the Government but were implicitly condoned. You will just have to take my word for it since i nosed around the Chinese web scene quite a bit. It was entirely organised through the web and sms by a well known anti-Japan activist named Lu Yunfei, the Chinese government had previousely disallowed some of his protests.

Reasons for protest.

1) Textbook revision.
2) Taiwan, Japan named it as a "security concern".
3) Dispute on islands and the surrounding mineral/fish rich seas.
4) Japan wanting to enter the UNSC.

P.S. the poster of this story missed the point entirely, the protests were spawned by the textbook row, not a "Japanese request to calm down". That request was made after the initial protests in Beijing, it was followed in Shenzhen and Guangzhou in the south.

P.P.S. The protests are a storm in a tee cup, max 30,000 people turned up in 3 cities. It happens, just like the Belgrade ones. However, contrary to popular opinion, the government does not start the protests, just condone them. If the CCP were to be removed from power, you would see millions protesting instead of thousands. The CCP actually stopped quite a few students from joining the protests.

[edit on 11-4-2005 by rapier28]

new topics

top topics

join