It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: A Mammoth Find in Southern California

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Construction crews at a 250-home residential housing project in Southern California have discovered a mammoth. An on-site paleontologist spotted small fragments of bones March 29 during grading for the development in the northern foothills of Moorpark. The mammoth, up to 75 percent complete, may be a member of the first species of the elephant-like animals that reached North America an estimated 1.4-1.7 million years ago.

story.news.yahoo.com
MOORPARK, Calif. - The remarkably well-preserved remnants of an estimated half-million-year-old mammoth — including both tusks — were discovered at a new housing development in Southern California.

An onsite paleontologist found the remains, which include 50 percent to 70 percent of the Ice Age creature, as crews cleared away hillsides to prepare for building, Mayor Pro Tem Clint Harper said.

Paleontologist Mark Roeder estimated the mammoth was about 12 feet tall, Harper said. Roeder believed it was not a pygmy or imperial mammoth, but he had not yet determined its exact type, Harper said.

"It's considered a very significant find, and it's a very complete fossil. It's unusual because it was found all the way down near the bedrock," Harper said. "We asked if carbon dating could be used and they said no way, it's too old."

Harper said the first bones were spotted several days ago and a special crew was called in after Roeder found more remnants, including the 6- and 7-foot-long tusks.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I find this very interesting for I am fascinated by “Peopling of the Americas” archaeology and the most popular theories suggest that humans followed mega-fauna from Asia across Beringia into North America. Though, this particular mammoth is much older than any human presence in North or South America, it is a spectacular find in that such a complete specimen of this age is very rare.

I also wonder if a person found a prehistoric creature in their backyard whether they would own it or not. It probably would not belong to that person, but perhaps there would be monetary compensation.

Related News Links:
seattletimes.nwsource.com
www.keralanext.com
outside.away.com

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by poonchang
Though, this particular mammoth is much older than any human presence in North or South America...

Assumption. Preconceived bias. Data sample is not suffiecient to corroborate. In plain English, we haven't even begun to dig enough to support this statement.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Speaking of Mammoths, did they not find frozen sperm at one time and are currently attempting to inject the sperm into a female elphant, in hopes of bringing back a Mammoth? Any one else ever heard of this?

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Oh, really? Well, the youngest dates I can dig up (excuse the pun) for this particular mammoth is 400,000 years old. The range is between 400kya and 1.8mybp. Yes, they do not yet have an exact age, but it will fall in that range. And even if it doesn't, paleontologists have said that it is WAY too old to radiocarbon date, which has a 60,000 year limit. There were no humans in SoCa 60,000 years ago. This particular mammoth is much older than any human presence in North or South America.

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by poonchang
There were no humans in SoCa 60,000 years ago. This particular mammoth is much older than any human presence in North or South America.

Proof, my friend?. You are offering opinion, nothing more. Informed, logical opinion.

Opinion that has all the authority of a papal bull on the number of angels that can dance on the head of a pin.

My tribal traditions tell me man has existed in the Americas for far longer than the newcomers would have you believe. They also are opinion. Given the absence of evidence, I suggest you keep an open mind, Poon. Keep digging.

top topics

join