It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Sick Dog Gets $45,000 Stem Cell Transplant

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Over the past forty years, hundreds of bone-marrow or stem-cell transplants have been performed on dogs at Seattle's Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center. A stem cell transplant done last June may have cured cancer in a golden retriever called "Comet." The stem cells were harvested from another golden retriever's blood. The dog's owners, Darrell and Nina Hallett, paid $45,000 for the procedure.

www.msnbc.msn.com
Darrell and Nina Hallett ...spent $45,000 on a stem cell transplant for their golden retriever, who is recovering from lymphoma, a type of cancer that attacks the immune system.

...the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle ...has performed hundreds of bone-marrow or stem-cell transplants on dogs over the past four decades, as researchers perfected techniques used to treat cancer in humans.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Comet is recovering steadily and is showing signs the cancer may be cured. His owners obviously thought Comet was worth the $45,000.

It was necessary to find a genetically matched donor because blood was used as the source of the stem cells.

Bone marrow and stem cell transplants for humans have been done in private clinics since the 1950's, for cancer and other diseases. The stem cell transplant techniques are privately owned as "Intellectual Property" and information about the procedures is not available to the general public. However, more research is coming to light as more science goes "Open Source."

It will be interesting to hear more as information comes available.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I think what a lucky dog.

Now if only humans were as caring.!

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by yekway
I think what a lucky dog.

Now if only humans were as caring.!

...Hmmm. I think most people are pretty caring - just ignorant of what really is possible and going on behind the scenes.

Seems like embryonic stem cell transplants do cure cancer - and this is a fallback tryout to see if stem cells from other sources might work. The drawback is that alternate sources mean you need a "match" - not always possible.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Bone marrow and stem cell transplants for humans have been done in private clinics since the 1950's, for cancer and other diseases. The stem cell transplant techniques are privately owned as "Intellectual Property" and information about the procedures is not available to the general public. However, more research is coming to light as more science goes "Open Source."

I didn't know about this. How did you find out? Couldn't have been that secretive. And if it has been around that long, why haven't scientists perfected it by now? Is it because it's a "secret science" or "forbidden science" and has moved slowly? You make it sound like it's a race to perfect the procedure (which I can believe). I guess whoever gets there first has a lot of money to make. Reminds me of drug companies holding back cures to rake in the dough. Man, I love my dogs but I wouldn't spend that kind of money on them...even if I wasn't poor and could afford it.
Then again, some people consider pets as members of their families.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 11:16 PM
link   
This is great! They doing a lot of progress with stem cells.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Yeah maybe this will help bring the idea of stem cell research to get a better wrap. I dunno but its kinda like in the 6th day they first started cloning in pets to make it easier to introduce the idea of cloning humans.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by poonchang

I didn't know about this. How did you find out? Couldn't have been that secretive.

It's hidden pretty much in plain view.

Here's a quick and dirty look at the public history of stem cell research.

1. Scientists have been working with stem cells for over 50 years.

Note: "Fibroblasts" are connective tissue stem cells; bone marrow transplants are the original source of stem cells.

* [Effect of human umbilical cord extracts on growth of in vitro culture of embryonal fibroblasts.] C R Hebd Seances Acad Sci. 1955 May 16;240(20):2018-20. LASFARGUES E, DANIEL P, DELAUNAY A. PMID: 14390784

* [Bone marrow transplantation.] Ter Arkh. 1950 May-Jun;22(3):63-5. PINSKII II, STEFADU VA. PMID: 15442952

* [Effect of human serum of benign tumor patients on fibroblasts cultivated in vitro.] Rev Soc Argent Biol. 1950 Apr-May;26(1-2):1-7. SACERDOTE de LUSTIG E, MANCINI RE. PMID: 14781570

* [Effect of human cerebrospinal fluid on the fibroblast in vitro.] Rev Soc Argent Biol. 1951 Jun-Jul;27(3-4):114-7. SACERDOTE DE LUSTIG E. PMID: 14900760

* Stimulating effect of nucleoprotein fraction of chick embryo extract on homologous heart fibroblasts. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med. 1953 Jun;83(2):390-5. KUTSKY RJ. PMID: 13064279

* [Studies on growth promoting substances of embryonal extracts in fibroblasts cultures.] Biochem Z. 1953;324(3):195-203. BAYERLE H, BANDIER J. PMID: 13126131

2. Researchers have been transplanting stem cells for over 50 years.

* The development of variations in transplantability and morphology within a clone of mouse fibroblasts transformed to sarcoma-producing cells in vitro. J Natl Cancer Inst. 1954 Oct;15(2):215-37. SANFORD KK, LIKELY GD, EARLE WR. PMID: 13233880

3. The link between stem cell mutations and cancer was recognized over 50 years ago.

* [A case of stem-cell sarcoma of the reticular connective tissue of the endometrium.] Arch De Vecchi Anat Patol. 1956 Jun;24(2):789-805. TARTARINI G. PMID: 13363603

* Transformation of normal human fibroblasts into histologically malignant tissue in vitro. Science. 1956 Mar 23;123(3195):502-3. LEIGHTON J, KLINE I, ORR HC. PMID: 13298708

* Further evidence favoring the concept of the stem cell in ascites tumors of rats. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1956 Mar 14;63(5):818-30. MAKINO S. PMID: 13314436

* Transformation of normal human fibroblasts into histologically malignant tissue in vitro. Science. 1956 Mar 23;123(3195):502-3. LEIGHTON J, KLINE I, ORR HC. PMID: 13298708

* The cytopathogenic effect of the Rous sarcoma virus on chicken fibroblasts in tissue cultures. Bull Johns Hopkins Hosp. 1955 Sep;97(3):248-65. LO WH, GEY GO, SHAPRAS P. PMID: 13284471

* [Morphology and evolutive possibility of the fibroblast in various inflammatory conditions.] Arch De Vecchi Anat Patol. 1955 Aug;23(2):501-24. MIGNANI E. PMID: 13283689

* [Stem-cell leukemia.] J Radiol Electrol Arch Electr Medicale. 1951;32(1-2):119-20. BRU, POUTANSANT, PLANEL. PMID: 14841727

* Reticulo-endotheliosis or stem-cell leukemia; a case report. Conn Med. 1949 Dec;13(12):1128-33, illust. EVANS TS, CIPRIANO AP, FERRELL EH Jr. PMID: 15397554

* Production of malignancy in vitro. XII. Further transformations of mouse fibroblasts to sarcomatous cells. J Natl Cancer Inst. 1950 Oct;11(2):351-75. SANFORD KK, EARLE WR, SHELTON E, SCHILLING EL, DUCHESNE EM, LIKELY GD, BECKER MM. PMID: 14795191

4. Cell transformation works both ways; just as stem cells can mutate and turn cancerous when exposed to chemical and other pathogens or infectious agents, mutated or cancerous stem cells can revert back to normal when exposed to normal stem cells - a fact recognized over 50 years ago. But huge quantities are needed to outnumber the cancer cells, which is why cloning is required.

* Transformation of carcinoma cells into fibroblasts. Acta Unio Int Contra Cancrum. 1956;12(4):459-60. BUENO P. PMID: 13381572

* The effect of aminopterin and partial exsanguination transfusion on a case of acute stem cell leukemia; a case report and review of the literature on these two procedures. Ann Intern Med. 1950 Jan;32(1):123-8. ROSS RT, SCHOEMPERLEN CB. PMID: 15404131

* The effect of serum ultrafiltrate on cultivated mast cells and fibroblasts from human skin. Science. 1954 Jan 15;119(3081):99. ZITCER EM, KIRK PL. PMID: 13122039

And if it has been around that long, why haven't scientists perfected it by now? Is it because it's a "secret science" or "forbidden science" and has moved slowly? You make it sound like it's a race to perfect the procedure (which I can believe). I guess whoever gets there first has a lot of money to make. Reminds me of drug companies holding back cures to rake in the dough.

Stem cell transplants are provided to animals and people for profit - and have been for decades. They are NOT covered by insurance.

The first and only stem cell transplants covered by insurance for ordinary people were 'bone marrow' transplants for leukemia. The technology was developed in the 1950's and absolutely confirmed in the 1960's - but insurance companies did not want to cover it, so they claimed it was experimental. Medical activists and patient advocates fought for about 30 years to force insurance companies to acknowledge that transplanting stem cells from bone marrow to treat leukemia was NOT an experimental treatment.

Embryonic stem cell therapies were and still are very secret and done behind the scenes - but transplants of stem cells derived from bone marrow are more public. For example, cryogenic storage facilities were set up in the USA in the early 1960's for the young-wealthy to store their own bone marrow as a hedge against disease in their old age. ...The source of stem cells is critical, and restricts their usage - only embryonic stem cells are universal - all others must be "matched." ...Cryogenic technology and the established storage facilities were used decades later for sperm and egg storage.

IMO - the stem cell "controversy" is manipulated. Stem cell transplants are available to the very rich - for themselves and their pets - and have been for a long time. The ethical/moral controversy is manipulated to ensure non-disclosure to: a) Protect the insurance industry from having to pay for stem cell therapy; and b) Preserve drug industry's profits gained from selling drugs to treat secondary symptoms. ...If the underlying diseases are cured, the profits from treating secondary symptoms will dry up.

As it stands now, stem cell therapy legally is considered an "experimental treatment." This is key to the corporate strategy. Insurance is not required to cover "experimental treatments," only established treatments.

More: Stem Cell Clone Ban Coming?

The real issue here is about what kind of science and treatments ordinary people can access.

Quick Overview of Stem Cell Research in the Public Domain

top topics

join