It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Very Important Question!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Okay, I need some help. This isn't about this board or anything, but last year I had my bank card number stolen. I, of course, fixed that by lodging a complaint with the bank and recieving a new bank card and everything. However, today I googled my name, and found out that someone posted a lot of my personal information on this website message board. So i click it. And it is this person claiming to be me trying to buy a webdomain name, and saying they represent a school in vietnam. Then another person confronts them saying how entirely wierd that is because of my address and everything, clearly i don't live in Viet Nam. So, my question is, what do i do? Do i notify the authorities or what?

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I dont think I can help you there Ryan, but I do hope someone can.

Good luck star.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 09:18 PM
link   
That's just disturbing. Sorry to hear about this.

I'm sure admin can find out who and where the person is from his IP addy.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Department of Justice site has some information for you - Link

And there is the Federal Trade Commission site which has a bureau for identifying ID theft. It also mentions that Secret Service is supposed to investigate financial fraud but since there hasn't been any yet - they probably won't be of much use.

Sorry not to be of more help - but I would think you should report it to one of the Federal agencies, local ones just don't have the resources to do a whole lot. Use the "school in Vietnam" as a hook to get them interested - I can see this guy setting up a charitable org. to try and bilk people out of their money.

B.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 09:20 PM
link   
so what you are saying is i should find an Admin at this message board? By the way, thank you guys so much for your help.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 09:21 PM
link   
You could send SkepticOverlord a U2U with the details, or a supermod. I'm not sure who can see our IPs.. but I'm fairly sure SO will be able to.

Good luck

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Ryan, you need to get all information and contact the U.S. Secret Service closest to you.
The U.S.S.S. is the federal authority over this type violation. The FBI would only turn any complaints of this nature to the US Secret Service.
They DO have the means to follow data. Speaking from experience.

[edit on 9-4-2005 by drrdw]

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 09:24 PM
link   
okay, thank you very much everyone! It isn't this forum, so I'm not sure SkepticOverlord would be of any help.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Do i notify the authorities or what?

Oh hell yes!! That's identity theft. I'm sure you've heard of it before as it's a fairly popular buzz word right now.

Seriously though, you need to contact anyone you're dealing with that this may effect. The sooner the better too, because if it becomes a bad situation the only person it is going to negatively effect is you!! You don't want to wait until the cops show up at your door to arrest you for a bunch of stuff you never did, only to start making calls then.

Give this a read:

Identity Theft: What to Do if It Happens to You
www.privacyrights.org...

This guide provides victims of identity theft with the major resources to contact. Unfortunately, at this time victims themselves are burdened with resolving the problem. You must act quickly and assertively to minimize the damage.

In dealing with the authorities and financial institutions, keep a log of all conversations, including dates, names, and phone numbers. Note time spent and expenses incurred in case you are able to seek restitution in a later judgement or conviction against the thief, or if you itemize tax deductions for theft-related expenses (consult your accountant). Confirm conversations in writing. Send correspondence by certified mail, return receipt requested. Keep copies of all letters and documents.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Thanks again everyone. I reported this to the FTC after i went to the USSC and found the correct link there in which you report identity theft. I can't thank you all enough! I will just give you guys WATS, and since i dont have enough i will fill in the rest of the people over the next few months. THANKS!

P.S.-Will I have to go to court over this if they find the guy?

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ryanp5555
Thanks again everyone. I reported this to the FTC after i went to the USSC and found the correct link there in which you report identity theft. I can't thank you all enough! I will just give you guys WATS, and since i dont have enough i will fill in the rest of the people over the next few months. THANKS!

P.S.-Will I have to go to court over this if they find the guy?

I couldn't say for sure, I suppose it all depends on what happens and if they catch him.

If he doesn't use your ID for anything then you can't do anything really. You most likely won't even be able to prove that he stole it either. You info could be in the hands of lots of people by now just by it spreading around. Most likely they would have no idea who you even are which is better for them cause it's less likely they'll get caught if they have no connection to you at all in real life.

If you don't or can't press charges on him but some company he rips off does, then I suppose they might call on you for some reason, who knows. Keep in mind though that this is not anything new. There are lots and lots and lots and lots of these cases right now being filed from everywhere. Which makes it even more difficult and time consuming too. There are so many of these in fact that as far as the Legal end goes, unless there are some substantial losses occured nobody will have time to look into it. Other than you of course.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 03:15 AM
link   
No disrespect , but mods would this thread not be better served in chit chat or bts forum not board discussion since this is not per the author a board matter?

top topics

join