It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Homeland Security Bailout Continues - US Aviation Security Chief Resigns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 06:57 PM
link   
The Department of Homeland Security's Transportation Security Administration chief David Stone has tendered his resignation in the wake of a confidential report which shows that US aircraft remain vulnerable to attack, despite billions of dollars of funding being spent by the administration. Stone is the third TSA director to resign in as many years. The chairman of the House aviation subcommittee has criticized the TSA's operations and is advocating for airport security to be privatized, with the TSA being allocated a supervisory role.

news.yahoo.com
But a confidential report compiled by the Homeland Security Department and the FBI earlier this year pointed out that US commercial airliners remained vulnerable to attack by Al-Qaeda and other terrorist groups, despite billions of dollars spent on new security measures that include meticulous searches of airline passengers and security watch lists.

The report, which has never been publicly released but was described to reporters by administration officials last month, warned that terrorists could easily target corporate jets, private planes and other small aircraft usually parked at country airports that lack adequate security.

Almost simultaneously, the Coalition of Airline Pilots Association gave the Transportation Security Administration a failing grade, accusing it of being unable to close what it called some "gaping holes" in aviation security.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Department secretary Tom Ridge annjounced his resignation in December, and Steve Cooper, Homeland Security's first CIO, will also resign this month for "personal reasons".

Homeland Security's First CIO Resigns
Cooper is leaving for personal reasons, a departmental spokeswoman said Wednesday. A successor, who will be appointed by President Bush, has yet to be identified. The spokeswoman said she didn't know who will head Homeland Security IT until a successor is named.

In an interview in December, Cooper said he hadn't decided whether he wanted to remain as CIO after the department's first secretary Tom Ridge announced his resignation. When named CIO in 2003, Cooper promised Ridge he'd remain on the job at least through the presidential election, or as long as Ridge headed the department.

Cooper said he wanted to talk with the new secretary before making a decision. The new secretary, Michael Chertoff, is in the midst of conducting a review of department operations.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I don't follow the issue that closely, but it seems to me that the Homeland Security issue and department has been a bungled mess from day one, with reports of wasted funds, ineffective program implementation and administration officials resigning left, right and center.

Related News Links:
www.buffalonews.com
www.channelnewsasia.com

news.yahoo.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
new Homeland Security chief announced
Homeland Security Memos found Online (from ATSNN)
politics.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 2005/4/9 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Hmmm. Inadequate systems and policies that sabotage the process. Looks like Homeland Security is being set up for privatization - along with the military. ...Predictable.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Exactly, this whole thing was never designed to work. God dont even get me started on the TSA. I have the fortune/misfortune to work for that particular government administration and I know all about the insanities of its policies.
Nobody wants to hear about it though they'd rather just laugh at "those stupid TSA goons" and complain about "ridiculous security procedures" than think about why things are the way they are.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 12:53 AM
link   
welcome to the world of beurocracy and red tape, create a department to protect the homeland then tie it up with so much crap that its easier just to out source the job then when it is done in a half a****d way and no one want to take the responsibility

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
Hmmm. Inadequate systems and policies that sabotage the process. Looks like Homeland Security is being set up for privatization - along with the military. ...Predictable.

This could not have been said any better. It does appear that the heat in the DHS could be getting a little toasty or on the other hand, your view is correct. It does seem a bit odd that over the past few months Dept. Heads and the like have been putting much distance between themselves and the agency. What has me puzzled is the defections are from both sides of the isle.
If soficrow is correct in his assumptions on this, we are headed for one hell of a showdown coming to a city near you!

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 11:59 AM
link   
We have had to walk a tight rope, balancing individual rights against the need for security with the airlines. Cries of racial profiling have hobbled the department's efforts. Security doesn't know what's acceptable and what is prohibited anymore.

I say, privatize airport security, with trained, well-paid professionals. Arm the pilots. Have armed personnel on random flights, and remove those silly dress codes.

We've been very fortunate since 9/11. Partly because of heightened awareness, partly because of luck. There are other areas that need attention, such as our seaports.

And as far as privatizing the military? It won't happen, it's a bad idea.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Washington has head up the pork butt again.

squandering 10 billion homeland dollars
The government is wasting 10 billion on political pork and yet can't spend a billion or half billion dollars to help keep foreigners from simply walking across our southern border.

Hey Washington, get a clue, if you can't keep Al Qaeda or anyone else from simply walking across the border, $183,000 to Tiptonville Tennessee, buying segways for Santa Clara, a trailer for hauling lawnmowers to the annual lawnmower race in Converse TX is a COMPLETE waste of money.

In the panic following 911 a lot of rash and not well thought through actions were taken. The trouble is the mistakes made then are never brought up for review, instead they become entrenched pork troughs.

We don't fire the FBI translators who cheered 911 we fire Sibel Edmonds who pointed out the problem.

Instead of fixing the pre-911 problems, getting the FBI and CIA to do their jobs and simply securing our southern border we have created a huge, unfocused, bureaucracy which adds one more broken ineffective agency, Homeland security, to the FBI and CIA.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by slank
We don't fire the FBI translators who cheered 911 we fire Sibel Edmonds who pointed out the problem.

Instead of fixing the pre-911 problems, getting the FBI and CIA to do their jobs and simply securing our southern border we have created a huge, unfocused, bureaucracy which adds one more broken ineffective agency, Homeland security, to the FBI and CIA.

I have heard that statement several times recently, about the cheering translators. Is that for real? If so, why the hell didn't they get called on the carpet for it?

Oh yeah, and you are 100% right about the southern borders.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 08:33 PM
link   
And This Differs From Other Federal Departments How?

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace
I don't follow the issue that closely, but it seems to me that the Homeland Security issue and department has been a bungled mess from day one, with reports of wasted funds, ineffective program implementation and administration officials resigning left, right and center.

Incompetence, inefficiency, fraud, waste, abuse, lack of accountability.

It's almost as if the Homeland Security Department were run by the federal government!

If only HSD was run like those other federal organizations that don't have such problems. Like... um, does anyone know of one off-hand?

Seriously: If anyone knows of a U.S. federal organization that is free of such problems, please let me know, because I don't know of a single one, and I would sure love to see an example of a federal bureaucracy that could get the job done without all these problems.

Just a single one.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 09:38 PM
link   
here it is jsobecky

To her[Sibel Edmonds] shock, she was told the Arab [FBI] linguists were celebrating the terrorist attacks on America, as if they were some joyous event. Right in front of her supervisor, one translator cheered:

FBI translators Cheer 911

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 01:35 AM
link   
What can you expect from a leader that thinks a nail clipper is a weapon? And now it is a cigarette lighter. And you need inspect every grandmother for these "weapons" because everyone knows. it's grandmas that want to destroy "democracy".

Good riddance, Bye Bye.

I remember that Homeland Security was set up to get our various police departments (i.e. FBI, CIA, DOD, etc.) to communicate with each other. Hasn't happened and now there are discussions of a new cabinet position to do this.

This whole Homeland Security Department has been a mockery and it is time to stop it. It's not working as designed and never will.

new topics

top topics

join