posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 05:25 PM
100 bodies lined up along with a large number of weapons with ammunition and shown on television by the state media in Nepal, are believed to be that
of maoist communist rebels killed in the largest clash with government forces since King Gyanendra sacked the country's government earlier this year.
The clashes between the two sides took place in the remote western district of Rukum, 340 miles west of Kathmandu and rebels have not commented on
their own dead but have said that the government army losses were much higher.
Authorities in Nepal now say 100 died in clashes between Maoist rebels and government forces in the remote western district of Rukum on Thursday.
The battle also came amid an 11-day strike, which will end on Tuesday, called by the rebels to protest at the king's move.
Please visit the link provided for the complete story.
The government forces have said that just three of their own army died with with injuries to another six other soldiers.
King Gyanendra dismissed the government in February after saying that it had failed to tackle the maoist threat. Restrictions were immediately placed
by the King including news coverage and freedom of speech by citizens.
The communist rebels have been seeking to overthrow the monarchy in the nation for 10 years with an estimated 11,000 deaths put down to the
Neither sides claims have been verfied independantly.
Related News Links:
[edit on 9-4-2005 by Mayet]