It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Scientists Create Remote-Controlled Flies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Scientists at Yale have genetically designed triggers in the brains of fruit flies that allow the flies' behavior to be controlled with laser light, according to an article in the April 7 issue of the journal Cell. In some experiments the light controls were engineered to alter how the flies jump, beat their wings and fly in an escape response. In other experiments, the light controls were used to activate neurons that stimulated walking and affected the types of paths the flies chose to follow.

story.news.yahoo.com
NEW HAVEN, Conn. - Yale University researchers say their study that used lasers to create remote-controlled fruit flies could lead to a better understanding of overeating and violence in humans.

Using the lasers to stimulate specific brain cells, researchers say they were able to make the flies jump, walk, flap their wings and fly.

Even headless flies took flight when researchers stimulated the correct neurons, according to the study, published in the April 7 issue of the journal Cell.

Scientists say the study could ultimately help identify the cells associated with psychiatric disorders, overeating and aggressiveness.

Biologists have long known that an electrical stimulus can trigger muscle response, but this approach used focused beams of light to stimulate neurons that would have been impossible to study using electrodes.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

"This is a new approach to neuroscience," said Gero Miesenbock from the Yale University School of Medicine. "We can not only passively observe but actively control behavior." But, is it mind control? The authors demonstrate that even headless flies take mindful flight if the correct set of neurons is photo-activated.
This suggests that this technique is not mind control. It is yet another tool at the disposal of researchers. It will complement the use of electrodes and one day will possibly even replace implanted electrodes.

Related News Links:
story .news.yahoo.com
msnbc.msn.com
www.physorg.com
www.theage.com.au

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I remember when I was a kid and thought remote-control cars were a new-fangled technology (even with the controls connected to the car by a wire:dn
, but can you imagine what the toys of the future might be? Remote-control pets? That would be awesome! I would make my dog poop in my neighbor's yard, all while I sit on the comfort of my couch.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Great find.

...Brings to mind what's happening in neuromarketing - and strikes me that computers, film, games and TV are all vehicles for stimulating photoreceptors.

Neuro-Marketing: Straight to the Brain

Brain Chip Allows Control Of Devices By Thought

Almost all your decisions are made by your unconscious mind.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I find it odd that they've singled out a such a small range of diseases (obesity, aggressive behavior, etc...) - It's almost as though they’re attempting to say that the two have something in common....

And why fruit flies? I was under the assumption the best research for fruit flies was in regards to small developments over many thousands of generations....evolution....

And who the hell know fruit flies had brains?!

Interesting find
...Still trying to make sense of it all though.....Controlling the flight patterns of fruit flies with genetically triggered lasers aaannnddd human obesity

I guess if they can tell a fruit fly to do something...to fly, through nerve impulses....then it would have something to do with sending nerve impulses to the brain to tell the human to do something else....to stop eating.....*scratches head*......

[edit on 4/9/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I agree that this is very interesting:

Originally posted by poonchang
...In some experiments the light controls were engineered to alter how the flies jump, beat their wings and fly in an escape response. In other experiments, the light controls were used to activate neurons that stimulated walking and affected the types of paths the flies chose to follow.

but I don't understand the correlation, I mean, how does altering or influencing a flys', or any other creature for that manner, movements relate:

to a better understanding of overeating and violence in humans.

or even this:
Using the lasers to stimulate specific brain cells, researchers say they were able to make the flies jump, walk, flap their wings and fly.

to:
identify the cells associated with psychiatric disorders, overeating and aggressiveness.

Did they just pull those diseases out of a hat, when considering likely candidates in the hopes of furthering research on human beings?

If the science is pure in intent, obviously for the greater good of humanity then I am for it.

Of course if the following query proves valid:
But, is it mind control?

I'm not so sure.

How about you?

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun
And why fruit flies? I was under the assumption the best research for fruit flies was in regards to small developments over many thousands of generations....evolution....

From what I understand, they are easier to genetically engineer. I don't know how they do it, maybe the thousands of generations you've mentioned.

And who the hell know fruit flies had brains?!

HaHa! And what's more is that it worked on headless flies, as well!

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by w1kdtr1p
but I don't understand the correlation, I mean, how does altering or influencing a flys', or any other creature for that manner, movements relate:

to a better understanding of overeating and violence in humans.

or even this:

to:
identify the cells associated with psychiatric disorders, overeating and aggressiveness.

Did they just pull those diseases out of a hat, when considering likely candidates in the hopes of furthering research on human beings?

I don't know why they name these specific diseases, but how I understand this is that they will be able to better locate certain neural pathways. Scientist could use this technology to pinpoint potential "problem areas" of the brain. Of course, they still don't completely understand the brain, but this technology will allow greater insight into a functioning brain without implanting electrodes.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I agree with you on this:

Originally posted by poonchang
this technology will allow greater insight into a functioning brain without implanting electrodes.

wires in brain matter?, that is definitely too invasive for my liking.

What better way to get people's hopes up, and especially pharmaceutical/tech manufacturers salivating like Pavlov's canine.

Where's the funding for this questionable research coming from? Does the article provide any further links on such studies?

thanks,
poon

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 11:26 PM
link   
The work was funded by grants from the National Institutes of Health and Miesenböck was supported as a Searle Scholar, an Alfred P. Sloan and Klingenstein Fellow and a Beckman Young Investigator.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun
I find it odd that they've singled out a such a small range of diseases (obesity, aggressive behavior, etc...) - It's almost as though they’re attempting to say that the two have something in common....

Obesity and aggressive behavior do have something in common. Both are caused by misfolded proteins and are prion-related. Prions are infamous for causing Mad Cow disease. Only about 5 or 6 prion diseases are recognized officially, and only when the brain is affected directly - but prion infections take decades to progress from the gut to the brain, one protein and cell at a time, and they infect other cells and systems along the way. ...Obesity and 'aggressive behavior' are 2 possible "side effects" or "complications," depending on what specific cells are infected.

"Is it mind control?" ...Like any knowledge, this technology can be abused - and has been. Neuromarketing is now an established industry. [See my links above.] ...This article shows how the same technologies can be used for the public good rather than manipulation.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Remote controlled or programmable Insects, the ultimate assasins ...

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   
The implications of something like this being used on humans is quite worrisome. Whenever profit motives or zealot religions are involved there is no level to which people will not sink.

While i hope human brains are much too complicated for this easy manipulation there are many lower mental functions we still rely on that operate on the lizard brain response system.

I rather suspect you might be able manipulate people in subtle ways.

Ramachandran points out that human as well as other higher lifeforms still operate iconographically [built in stereotyping emphasizing exageration rather than realism] in a lot of areas.
www.bbc.co.uk...
That is partly how the Republicans [and Democrats somewhat] use 'hot button' issues to pump up voter turnout with people who would otherwise not bother to vote.

Be honest, don't we often tend to visualize with lurid emotional characatures?

edit:
manipulated for public 'good' by who's definition, soficrow?

[edit on 10-4-2005 by slank]

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
Obesity and aggressive behavior do have something in common. Both are caused by misfolded proteins and are prion-related. Prions are infamous for causing Mad Cow disease. Only about 5 or 6 prion diseases are recognized officially, and only when the brain is affected directly - but prion infections take decades to progress from the gut to the brain, one protein and cell at a time, and they infect other cells and systems along the way. ...Obesity and 'aggressive behavior' are 2 possible "side effects" or "complications," depending on what specific cells are infected.

Now, I'm not familiar with Prions, etc... so can you please provide a link to the data, so I can digest and process these views on my own time.

thanks ahead of time

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   
slank - Gaahhh. I would NEVER say or imply that anyone is manipulated for good. ...What I said, "This article shows how the same technologies can be used for the public good rather than manipulation." ...The point being, the technologies have been and are being used for manipulation (probably why they were developed) but now are being steered to better purpose.

w1kdtr1p - don't have time to pull the links for you but search here for "Mad Cow" "prions" and "FMD" - there's a fund of info, with lots of linbks and medical references - especially see:

Mad Cow Madness

FMD

[edit on 10-4-2005 by soficrow]

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Manchurian Candidate anyone?

new topics

top topics

join