It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: U.S. Embassy in Yemen Closes After Warning

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   
The U.S. and British Embassies in Yemen have closed after concerns that they may be the targets of a possible terrorist attack. No specifics have been given for the closings other then possible "terrorist activities". The British government is warning it's citizens against travel to the area of Sa'dah, northwest of San'a the capitol.

apnews.myway.com
SAN'A, Yemen (AP) - The United States and Britain closed their embassies in Yemen for security reasons Saturday after warning against travel to the country.

U.S. Embassy spokesman John Balian did not elaborate on the security concern or say how long the embassy would remained closed.

On Friday, the State Department said the threat to U.S. citizens "remains high due to terrorist activities" and authorized the voluntary departure of non-emergency personnel and eligible family members. It also advised U.S. citizens to avoid unnecessary travel to Yemen.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Yemen is the site of a number of attacks on western targets, most notably the attack on the U.S.S. Cole which left 17 sailors dead. It is also believed that the attack on the French tanker was undertaken by Yemeni militants.

I am surprised that the U.S. and British Embassies in Yemen were not already at the highest state of alert. I am also surprised that non-essential personal haven't already been evacuated.

Well the Yemeni government is an ally in the War On Terror, it is obvious that the people of Yemen aren't completely on the bandwagon with their government.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Closed indefinitely, hmmm...

Must be serious. How many terrorists attacks in Yemen in the past and they're closing up shop now? Weird.

Good find

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I was definately amazed that the Embassy was not already running on a skeleton staff. I wonder how many non-governmental civilians in Yemen this will effect?

join