It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Future AWACS Aircraft?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Will there ever be a future AWACS type plane ? Or do you think they will just keep updating the current AWACS with new radar systems and computer systems?

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 12:41 PM
link   
There is the Boeing 737 AEW the Boeing E-767 AWCS. Both of these future prototypes are the same in capacities, but they offer more capabilities that current AWACS system. The technology is 21st Century the avionics are better and the 767 is a better aircraft that the 707. There is not a lot of info on their radar and computer systems, but the technology on board is better than current AWACS systems.

AWACS provides survivable airborne surveillance, command, control and communications functions and early warning detection and tracking of low-level targets at extended ranges over land and water. The Boeing E-767 Airborne Warning and Control System (AWACS) developed as a natural progression from the E-3 Sentry following the closure of Boeing's 707 production line. The E-767 combines a Boeing 767-200ER airframe with the APY-2 development of the Sentry's APY-1 radar and mission system. The 767 is six feet longer, has 50 percent more floor area, nearly twice the cabin volume and can fly higher, faster and longer than the original 707. The mission equipment ise essentially the same as the US models.

E-767

The 737 airborne early warning and control (AEW&C) system is a unique blend of high-performance aircraft and mission equipment. The platform features the Boeing Next-Generation 737-700, an aircraft offering 21st century avionics, navigation equipment, and flight deck. It has an operational ceiling of 41,000 feet and a range of more than 3,000 nmi. Because of its high-technology, the aircraft has minimal crew requirements.

E-737

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Doesn't Japan use the E-767?

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrOuNd_ZeRo

No but France, Arabia, UK, and NATO do.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 02:55 AM
link   
I have read an article with US Air Force plans for the 21th century and it looks like they want future Awacs to include also JSTARS capabilities, and be unmanned with long endurance (24 hours).

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by blue cell

Originally posted by GrOuNd_ZeRo

No but France, Arabia, UK, and NATO do.

You are mistaken blue cell, Japan is the only current operator of the E-767.

The other countries all use the 707 based E-3. I believe the most capable versionof the E-3 in service is possibly the RAF's Sentry AEW.1 as it uses the same systems as the USAF E-3D with the CFM-56 engines of the French version plus some additional RAF specific capabilities not included on any other version, if you check out detailed photo's you see various 'extra's ' on the RAF version. Obviously all versions are continually upgraded so the question of which one is 'the best' is a very fluid situation.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by blue cell
Will there ever be a future AWACS type plane ? Or do you think they will just keep updating the current AWACS with new radar systems and computer systems?

check this out :

The Joint Surveillance and Target Attack Radar System (JSTARS) is a joint development project of the US Air Force and Army which provides an airborne, stand-off range, surveillance and target acquisition radar and command and control centre.

JSTARS provides ground situation information through communication via secure data links with air force command posts, army mobile ground stations and centres of military analysis far from the point of conflict. JSTARS provides a picture of the ground situation equivalent to that of the air situation provided by AWACS. JSTARS is capable of determining the direction, speed and patterns of military activity of ground vehicles and helicopters.

full details.....

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Okay your
right waynos I didn't read rest of the article.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Maybe you should read this book :

The Future of USAF Airborne Warning & Control: A Conceptual Approach

Abstract: Several conceptual approaches for next generation air surveillance and control platforms are: (1) space-based radar systems, (2) radar unmanned aerial vehicles, (3) traditional manned AWACS/JSTARS-like platforms, and (4) increased sensor capabilities on individual tactical (fighter) assets, such as internal 360 degree-coverage radars. The present focus of related literature seems to be technological advantage/cost, rather than role enhancement and system survivability as they apply to the future threat. This paper focuses on the evolving role and capabilities of the USAF airborne warning and control platform in the past, and the role and projected upgrades in capabilities of the platform in the near future (including joint and international capability comparisons). Last, it presents several next-generation conceptual platforms, and some of their core strengths and weaknesses including potential survivability problems. Based upon this discussion, the author proposes that the combination of at least two platforms, one at the strategic and the other at the operational/tactical will best ensure redundancy, survivability, and synergy to meet air surveillance and control requirements into the next century.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by blue cell

I am not sure if this is an appropriately placed comment... but I was digging into surveillance drone used over US airspace and came across many other puzzles. Of course my perspective is missing many pieces, but something I couldn't find on the boards were WAAS. Wide Area Airborne Surveillance. That page seems to be from 2009. www.fbo.gov... ode=form&tab=core&id=a430a19078cc2da67250de2a193cc98c&_cview=1

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by blue cell

No, France, UK, USA and NATO all use the E-3 series 707 airframe. France E-3C is about to undertake its midlife update. Canada is about to pull out of the NATO programme, leaving a shortfall of 10% in funding. The E-3A Fleet is about to undergo a cockpit modification programme.

As of yet, there are no real plans to replace the E-3A NATO Fleet, which came into service in the 1980s.

Why do I know? I work there.

Edit: All this data is available via Flight International.
edit on 23/9/2011 by TheLoneArcher because: Added Text

new topics

top topics

join