It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

best drummer of all time

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 03:35 AM
link   
allright then this is the last in the series, so you all know the deal
chad smith

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Best Drummer of all time.....I would have to say Neil Peart from Rush.

Favourite though is Ian Paice from Deep Purple.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Tough one, but I definately have to go with Bonham. No question about that.

And give Ric allen credit for sticking to it after the accident.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Best metal drummer = TOMAS HAAKE (Meshuggah)

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Tough one, but I definately have to go with Bonham. No question about that.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best ever no contest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bonham was and always will be the man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 11:59 AM
link   
bonham has no competition. nuff said.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Best Drummer of all time.....I would have to say Neil Peart from Rush.

Thanks, i am glad to see that someone recognizes the truth.(absolute, absolure yeah!)
By the way, tom sawyer is a rush song. (just in case any of you didn't know)

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 05:41 PM
link   
id have to say the best drummer for me would be Dave Grohl .

[edit on 25/4/2005 by SE7EN]

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 06:00 PM
link   
As a drummer...Buddy Rich. No question.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I just seen you post Zed and I agree

well I would have to say Buddy Rich was one of the finest drummers of the world, Rich was playing double Base before rock & Roll. I have been drumming for 32 years and took some things from Rich one of the few drummers I would ever consider better than me. I meet Neil Pearth when Rush was just a bar band, playing on the street in front of a community centre. never been impressed.

Buddy Rich and Animal

if you watch this video closely you will see Rich us his right hand on the base drum this is before double peddles
Buddy Rich and Harry James 1964

Some of the people Buddy played with.

Louis Armstrong, Count Basie, Bunny Berigan, Irving Berlin, Benny Carter, Nat King Cole, Miles Davis, Dorsey Brothers, Tommy Dorsey, Frank Sinatra,
Roy Eldridge, Duke Ellington, Ella Fitzgerald, Helen Forrest, Stan Getz, Dizzy Gillespie, Benny Goodman, Lionel Hampton, Woody Herman, Harry James, Stan Kenton, Gene Krupa, Billy Kyle, Jimmy McGriff, The Metronome All-Stars, The Original Mambo Kings, Charlie Parker, Art Pepper, Oscar Peterson
Charlie Shavers, Artie Shaw, Bud Powell, Mel Tormé, Art Tatum, Teddy Wilson, Lester Young, Ray Brown, George Arus, Barney Kessel, Norman Granz, Herb Ellis, Flip Phillips, Bill Reddie, Don Piestrup, Gus Kahn, Oliver Nelson, and Sid Weiss

[edit on 25/4/2005 by Sauron]

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Travis Barker is very talented. Maybe not appreciated by everyone though...

He used to play for blink until they split, and transplants. The guy even gives free lessons at his house, how nice can you get?!

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Yeah, Buddy Rich's drumming is amazing.
A very similar drummer to him though, in talent and style, was Eric Delaney, who also played double bass as far back as the 1950's. His showmanship and drumming style were observed and revered, and eventually copied by a young man in London by the name of Keith Moon, who incidentally has to be the best rock drummer ever. As far as I know, Eric still plays the drums and puts on his own shows in a club caled The Town in Benidorm, Spain. I saw him play there 4 years ago, he was 76 and played with the energy of a 16 year old. It was fantastic to witness.

link

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Stewart Copeland ---The Police

Peace

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Link

Max Roach

Full Name Maxwell Lemuel Roach

Born Maxwell Lemuel Roach

In a profession star-crossed by early deaths — especially the bebop division — Max Roach at this writing is a shining survivor, one of the last living giants from the birth of bebop. He and Kenny Clarke instigated a revolution in jazz drumming that persists to this day; instead of the swing approach of spelling out the pulse with the bass drum, Roach shifted the emphasis to the ride cymbal. The result was a lighter, far more flexible texture, giving drummers more freedom to explore the possibilities of their drum kits and drop random "bombs" on the snare drum, while allowing bop virtuosos on the front lines to play at faster speeds. To this base, Roach added sterling qualities of his own — a ferocious drive, the ability to play a solo with a definite storyline, mixing up pitches and timbres, the deft use of silence, the dexterity to use the brushes as brilliantly as the sticks

Certainley worth mentioning

[edit on 26-4-2005 by Rren]

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I dug this up for you Peart fans, Neil Peart Drum Solo Windows media

Rush Bravado Windows media

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Honorable mentions from MA last time this came up a few weeks ago, but not mentioned above:

Gene Krupa
Keith Moon
Steve Morris
Jeffrey Wegener
Meg White

(just kidding about Meg White).

BTW, what do you call someone who hangs around with musicians?

A. A drummer.

At BTS, it's Deja Vu City.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 07:23 PM
link   
1. bonham of ledzepp
2. lars ulrich of metallica
3. danny carey of tool

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Uforia_
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best ever no contest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bonham was and always will be the man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's a bit overrated.

Nah, j/k, he's the god of drumming.

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Having seen one Thomas Larkin Esq. in performance for the umpteenth time yesterday I submit his name for recognition as being above Dave Grohl in the current crop of best drummers in the world.

Both have provided percussive services for Killing Joke, Larkin on Pandemonium and Grohl on the eponymous Killing Joke, originally entitled The Death & Resurrection Show.

Rock family trees are fun.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 08:11 PM
link   
A tie between the dude from Pantera and the dude from Soundgarden. Sorry, I don't know names.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join