It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Cardinal Law's Role in Pope's Funeral Mass Causes Outrage in U.S.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Cardinal Law, the former archbishop of Boston who was harshly criticized for his role in the Catholic priest pedophilia scandal, will be presiding over one of the eight funeral masses for Pope John Paul II upcoming in the next several days. Law has been denounced by many of protecting priests accused of abusing young children by moving them to other parishes, where they often continued their abuse. Law resigned as archbishop of Boston after 20 years over the scandal and went to Rome where he has been working as archpriest of the Patriarchal Basilica of St. Mary Major.

www.reuters.com
BOSTON (Reuters) - The Vatican's decision to let Cardinal Bernard Law lead a funeral Mass for Pope John Paul in Rome has prompted outrage back home, where the ousted Boston archbishop is seen as a symbol of a pedophile priest scandal.

Victims of sexual abuse by Roman Catholic clergymen were particularly harsh in their reaction, saying the decision to give Law a prominent role in the pomp and circumstance surrounding the pope's death came as a slap in the face.

"I find it personally very insulting and one more instance of how the Roman Catholic hierarchy protects and promotes even the most egregious among them," said Ann Hagan Webb, a regional coordinator of the group Survivors Network of Those Abused by Priests.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This really adds insult to injury to the poor victims of this man's cover-ups. I believe he should have been charged with a crime for his behavior since he hid crimes and exposed many more children to pedophile priests. This really shows that the Vatican is still out of touch about how much the priests' crimes have hurt so many lives.

Related News Links:
www.chicagotribune.com

[edit on 4/8/2005 by djohnsto77]

[edit on 4/8/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 08:26 PM
link   
the cardinal should be thrown in jail for life. pedophilia is wrong. I'd also recommend sticking something up his a$$ and see how he likes it. justice served

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I can't believe the Church actually allowed and even planned for his participation
another reason why I think the Catholic Church is corrupt.
I wonder if maybe he is a member of Opus Dei

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 08:35 PM
link   
That really is a shame, essentially forcing all those up on the news to have this negativity come into play during the popes funeral. Just kinda sad

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 08:57 PM
link   
He shouldnt be allowed to participate at all. Sick

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I would think that someone would have taken into consideration the negative press this would put on the entire funeral. If he did what he is accused of he should be in prison. And if the church did move him to cover up and protect him they should at the very least have had the sense not to do this.
I thought they were supposed to be smart people.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 01:38 AM
link   
I agree justme, I really don't know what the Catholic Church was thinking here...either they completely were asleep at the wheel or they purposely did this as a slap in the face and act of defiance.

[edit on 4/9/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Wow, lots of catholic haters. Just remember people, our church isnt a democracy. Its a dictatorship, pure and simple. Also, the Church in America is just one place. It is huge all over the world. We got billions.

And, the cardinal didnt molest anyone. Also, dont you find it interesting thatr as soon as one or two kids come out, they all do? In Chicago here, the late Cardinal Bernadine was accused of it. Only after a year, the person changed their story completly and openly admitted that his allegations were false. I wonder how many more are.

Odd that for a site about conspiricies, noone would even mention the possibility that there is a large anti-Catholic movement out trying to destroy the church. Now one person, yet everyone jumps on the old "a missle hit the pentagon" with such voracity. Never ceases to amaze me.

Look at all these cases. Notice any commonality? I do. Most of them are all 20-30 year old allegations. Not a shred of proof, other than "suppressed memory". As for the question of why would they settle? Because its cheaper that way. The church would go broke if it had pay lawyers to fight each and every case. Dont get me wrong, I do believe that were some who are guilty, but I dont believe that the numbers they come up with are accurate. I think alot of people have developed a bad case of "green eyes"

Look at all the teachers of late who have been arrested for sleeping with there students. The young pretty teachers have movies made about them, but wheres the outcry about teachers? None. There are perverts and pedophiles in every single line of work. The catholics are being singled out by gays, Hollywood and the liberal media because of our conservatism. Theres your conspiricy.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 02:33 AM
link   
What are you some kind of nut? So you support pedophilia? You go on to support the outright lie that the Catholic Church does not support encourage and sponsor for the rape of children. I guess you can carp and moan about the fact that people like me will ride you out of town on a rail and tar and feather you and when you get a job at the Vatican we will not let you get away with lying and lying and lying about how you are not sheltering pedophiles when in fact you are and also sponsoring them and making it so it can happen over and over and over again. I’m glad the Catholic religion is deader than a door nail because I for one do not support and condone the rape of children but apparently you do.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alexodin
What are you some kind of nut? So you support pedophilia? You go on to support the outright lie that the Catholic Church does not support encourage and sponsor for the rape of children. I guess you can carp and moan about the fact that people like me will ride you out of town on a rail and tar and feather you and when you get a job at the Vatican we will not let you get away with lying and lying and lying about how you are not sheltering pedophiles when in fact you are and also sponsoring them and making it so it can happen over and over and over again. I’m glad the Catholic religion is deader than a door nail because I for one do not support and condone the rape of children but apparently you do.

Youve done nothing to discuss anything I wrote. Way to contribute absolutly nothing to this board. Can you please remove your head from wherever it is lodged and explain to me how I support pedophelia? Or wait, better yet, just shut up if thats all you have. Its people like you that are ruining this board.

[edit on 9-4-2005 by spliff4020]

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Ok fair enough I’ll discuss what you wrote and try to be a better contributor and perhaps we shall learn together. Cardinal Law may not have the blood of rape victims on his hands but he is certainly guilty of shifting guilty Priests from station to station. Agree?

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alexodin
What are you some kind of nut? So you support pedophilia? You go on to support the outright lie that the Catholic Church does not support encourage and sponsor for the rape of children.

I think you owe an apology to spiff. He is obviously a person that is defending his religion against unfair characterizations. He raises some questions that many of us have about the flurry of allegations against the church.

HOWEVER, Cardinal Law had the authority to exempt himself from the proceedings, and I agree, he showed a definite insensitivity for not doing so.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   
This isn't about hating Catholics -- it's about hating child molesters and the system and people who enabled them by creating an environment where there could thrive and covering up their crimes. I've seen no credible Catholic come out and deny these allegations -- Catholics are just as upset about this scandal as everyone else.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   
The satanic meaning of burying John Paul II in the tomb of John XXIII

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
I can't believe the Church actually allowed and even planned for his participation
another reason why I think the Catholic Church is corrupt.
I wonder if maybe he is a member of Opus Dei

What exactly does the Opus Dei have anything to do with all of this?

I might have not known everyone in the Opus Dei, but I was a student and member in one of their branches in Madrid, Spain. I was with this group called Atazar for over five years, and personally, i never saw any of their priest do anything remotely sexual to any of the kids.

They taught us to pray in Latin, they taugh us passages of the bible, most of the time making them into fun games for kids, they would take us exploring and hiking in several national parks of Spain where they had summer camps, and they had after school study groups to help us with school. Not once did i see any of their priests or volunteers do anything sexual to any of us.

Although the Opus Dei is a large organization, i doubt some of the stuff that has been said about the religious group.

[edit on 9-4-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 08:49 PM
link   
It is a shame that there have been a small group of perverts who have tainted the name not only of the catholic church but of religious groups like Opus Dei, which in the overall have helped kids. The Opus Dei in Spain is very similar to other groups in the States who also help kids such as The Boy Scouts. The good these groups have done and continue to do shouldn't be tainted by the acts of a few perverts which unfortunately can be found all over the world and in all walks of life.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by MattMarriott
The satanic meaning of burying John Paul II in the tomb of John XXIII

www.abovetopsecret.com...

All I saw were wild and unfounded allegations made by you, and you did not present one piece of evidence to back anything that you said in that link.

A good man has died...why in the heck does people have to find the most outrageous conspiracies in the death of a good man....

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Words to think on:
Whats further a shame is how many can profess to be a Christian, and yet, fail to forgive, hence their "outrage".

Question:
If Jesus was alive today, what would he have to say about the "outrage" that is going on about Cardinal Law's role at the Pope's funeral.

Think about it.

seekerof

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Just because we should be able to forgive him with God's help, doesn't mean we have to give him a place of honor in something as visible and important as a papal funeral mass. This sends a bad signal that the church hasn't come to grips with this, and that they don't care about the feelings of the victims.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   
The Catholic Church had a world stage and they dropped the ball by letting this man still have an active part. It's such a shame that this man was allowed to play a role in the services for the Pope. This man should be in prison plain and simple. It makes one wonder how deep of a problem this has been over the years and what has not made its way to the surface. Being an ex Catholic, almost thirty years in the church, it's common knowledge that Priests have been shuffled around for problems such as alcoholism and other issues. It wouldn't surprise me if this problem is a lot larger than than we are lead to believe. The problem is that priests, like those in other professions, are a tight nit bunch and aren't so eager to turn on their own so, in their minds it's easier to just move a man, and deal with situation privately. Until they lose this mindset though, this problem will never go away and tragically more innocent children will be in harms way.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join