It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spicy Tuna - Two ways

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I make this spicy tuna that I've now had two ways; I first put it together for maki ( sushi roll ), and today I made it for lunch in sandwich form which was even better!

Take one can of chunk white tuna and press out all the water through a fine mesh strainer, until it's as dry as possible.

Mix: one tablespoon of Mayo, one tablespoon of the sauce from a can of chipoltes, one tablespoon of sweet pickle relish, 1 1/2 tablespoon of finely chopped scallion ( white part only)

Mix that with the tuna

Maki

- make sushi rice according to package
- cover bamboo rolling mat in plastic wrap
- wet hands and press out rice a 1/2 inch thick to about the size of the nori sheet ( smoked seaweed ) onto the mat
- place the sheet on top and scoop a line of the tuna ( about the width of your thumb) across the nori, about an inch up from the bottom
- roll it, using the mat
- scoop out some small fine caviar (orange). It's not expensive; about $5 jar in the refrigerated fish section or by the canned fish section
- gently rub it into the rice roll
- cut about every two inches with a sharp dry knife

Serve with soy sauce, wasabi & pickled ginger. This is a great intro for those eeked about raw fish. You can substitute slightly toasted sesame seeds for the caviar on the outside as well.

Sandwich

- Spread the tuna on the bottom half side of a good baguette ( note: it's not what the Piggly Wiggly supermarket calls a baguette - go to the bakery & get it!! )
- take a thin sliced extra sharp cheddar and completely cover the tuna
- put the top half ( crust side up ) & the tuna half under the broiler until the cheese melts , but not brown

Top with a chiffonade of romaine lettuce tossed with a little garlic oil and sea or kosher salt, pepper and thinly slice tomato

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Ohyeah! Tuna melt! That's what we're doing for lunch tomorrow!

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Take one 6 oz can of tuna, open top with can-opener, press top of can as hard as yo can on the tuna to drain all the juice, spread tuna on single slice of white bread, cover tuna liberally with Tapitio hotsauce and Salt and pepper, top with slice of american cheese and another slice of bread.

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Have any of you tried the tuna-in-a-pouch? That's pretty versatile and not much water.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
Have any of you tried the tuna-in-a-pouch? That's pretty versatile and not much water.

It is, but I also purchased a strainer disk that presses down into the can....gets it just as dry.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Byrd I like the pouches also -- have you tried the crab ones they are great also.

Both of these look great -- will try the one with mayo and chipotle sauce soon -- a question what is the tapito hot sauce -- not one I have -- what may be similar if I can't find that one -- my collection is pretty extensive.

jm

top topics

join