It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dirty Bomber wants Supreme Courts help (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Jose Padilla's lawyers are requesting the US Supreme Court step in and make a ruling regarding the torrorists prolonged detention, and the choices he must make regarding his plea and his giving up further rights to reduce further detention.

www.cbsnews.com
(CBS/AP) Lawyers for "dirty bomb" suspect Jose Padilla want the Supreme Court to step in and rule on the U.S. citizen's indefinite military detention, arguing that the judiciary needs to rein in the Bush administration's conduct in the war on terror.

"Delay increases the chance that Padilla could be faced with an unconstitutionally coerced choice — for example, whether to plead guilty to a crime or to give up other rights in order to avoid further months of detention as an enemy combatant," Padilla's lawyers wrote in court papers filed Thursday.

Padilla has spent most of his time in custody in a Navy brig in South Carolina. Padilla's case is at a federal appeals court and the prisoner's lawyers say the Supreme Court should step in now.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Only in America can you attempt to blow up a plane, and then have your lawyers demand that the Supreme Court intervene on your behalf.

[edit on 8-4-2005 by mpeake]

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   
First, the title of the thread is incorrect.

Second, Padilla has legal rights to address the courts he is intitled to address, and the courts have the right to put his appeal in the garbage bin.

And yes, I hope that America is still a country where you can exercise the due process.

[edit on 8-4-2005 by Aelita]

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Um, excuse me, Richard Reid was the man known as the "Shoe Bomber". You know the British muslim.

Jose Padilla is the American allegedly involved in a dirty bomb plot.

You might want to fix your title, and both your lead and closing paragraphs.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Your closing paragraph still references the actions of Richard Reid, NOT Padilla.

And you have not fixed the spelling of terrorists. You still have it "torrorists"

[edit on 4/8/2005 by phreak_of_nature]

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   
This is a good example of poor quality in a story.

One Sentence in the intro give me a break.

Grammar also is not up to standards and that last paragraph is a hoot

What happened to quality of stories is what I want to know

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Ouch!!

Everybody (well, some of us) appreciate the effort. Could you expand a little bit by what you mean by "only in America"? I'm not sure if you can edit your story by now, but you could always post a follow up if you want to discuss it.

top topics

join