It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Medicinal Chicken Soup

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I’ve posted this likely about a year or so ago, but since I’ve recently made a batch of this (and it’s cured me up good), thought I’d repost the recipe for this… This is some kick ass chicken soup that’s EXCELLENT when you’re sick. That’s why I put it in Health and Wellness, not Food. While it’s yummy, it’s mostly for medicinal purposes in my house…

Here it is…

Ingredients: (all amounts to taste and how much you’re making, it isn’t rocket science)

Chicken (I use boneless/skinless)
Carrots (I use the baby carrots)
Green Onions
Cabbage (yes, even if you hate cabbage like I do (and I do hate it), trust me, you won’t even taste it at all, it infuses the soup with some good healing mumbo jumbo, I use a whole head of it in a large pot of soup…you won’t taste it one little bit) The cabbage is the KEY to the healing power of the soup friends…

Peppers (I usually use Green, Yellow, and Red, for color, but just Green will do if on a budget)
Onion (White or Yellow)
***Budget Style – Birdseye makes what they call a “seasoning blend” in the frozen foods section (already diced up red and green peppers and onions, very handy, and cheap, I usually use this fine) Use this instead of the Peppers and Onion. These all help clear the sinuses.
Tabasco (not a lot, just enough to season the chicken)
Big Can/s of Chicken Broth
Chicken Bullion
Pasta (I usually use Medium Egg Noodles, but any will do)

Directions:

Cut up the Chicken into bite sized pieces.
Cut up the veggies as small as you like (but small enough to fit in a spoon).
Put the Broth in a big soup pot (should be about half full, tops) and turn up the burner to bring it to boil.
Sautee’ the Chicken, using a little Tabasco sauce for some seasoning (this will help for the sinuses) I also use a little seasoning salt as well. (do this while Broth is heating)
When the Chicken is done, add it to the Broth.
Add the veggies to the Broth and the Chicken.
Bring to a boil, continue boiling for about 5 minutes or so.
Add the pasta, still boiling, but not to the point of overboiling, and let it cook for about 6 minutes (for most pasta).
Turn heat down to simmer, and let it simmer for about 5 more minutes.

Then you’re ready to go. No matter how sick you are, this will likely make you feel better, and it’s a good light way to get some nourishment, even if your stomach isn’t doing so hot. Goes great with some Saltine crackers also (which also help settle the stomach).

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 07:02 PM
link   
That reminds me of...

Gizzard Skin Tea

The other day a group of Fundamentalists who were hillbillies raised in the Ozarks were discussing on TV the traditional local home remedies. One of them said that in his childhood nobody ever went to the doctor. They nursed themselves back to health through prayer and the use of those remedies.

For indigestions they drank an infusion of dehydrated gizzard skin (which they crushed after it had dried up). This made the stomach aches go away immediately. He recalls that there was always a chicken gizzard hung up to dry somewhere.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I consume a multitude of veggies daily. I think it's a good habit to get into even though many people wait til they're sick before they will eat any veggies (like in your chicken soup).

Besides ensuring optimum health, I think it has also helped me immensely with AP. I'm starting to see others remark about the same thing. Although any good variety of veggies will do, the consensus is starting to look like its the leafy green varieties that are the best (e.g. spinach, romaine, any leafy med to dark green veggie).

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Gizzard Skin Tea

I've heard of gizzards....In fact, fried gizzards are pretty good.....but I've never heard of gizzard skin tea!! Sounds.....disgusting

I agree though - Chicken soup just "does something".....

Just a little alternative method I use here:
I usually fix mine with rice...and instead of using canned broth....if you have the time...you can also just purchase a whole chicken, let it simmer in a pot of water for a good 45 minutes or more, let the chicken cool in the fridge, strain the water and use that as your stock, then pick away strands of chicken for the soup.....

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I use that variant myself when time and ingredients permit...

Gave some to my neighbor and my stepdaughter also, fixed both of them right up, hehe.... After just a few spoonfulls, she's like "I can breath again!" (steam and the peppers, hehe...)

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Gave some to my neighbor and my stepdaughter also, fixed both of them right up, hehe.... After just a few spoonfulls, she's like "I can breath again!" (steam and the peppers, hehe...)

I thought people in warm climates all year round never get colds.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Of course we still get colds, just not as often.

This was actually a harsh winter (by FL standards, which would be considered "nice" for most folks
). This particular illness was a virus though, so the doc just will say "ride it out".... That's what he told my wife. It's really going around in the schools and offices... Luckily, I have a pretty killer immune system, and usually get such things half as bad, and only have them half as long. Most I know who got this bug had it for a week....I had it for two days...

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
I’ve posted this likely about a year or so ago, but since I’ve recently made a batch of this (and it’s cured me up good), thought I’d repost the recipe for this… This is some kick ass chicken soup that’s EXCELLENT when you’re sick.

I'm so glad you reposted this & that I remembered it!

It turns out I am looking for a cabbage soup recipe right now.

I'm gonna try it soon. Not because I'm sick. It's for an experiment I'm working on, inspired by an artist person I know.

top topics

join