It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Prince Charles shakes Mugabes hand at Popes funeral.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Prince Charles caused new controversy by shaking hands with the Zimbabwean president Robert Mugabe earlier today. Charles is said to have been caught by surprise when Mugabe offered him his hand at the funeral of Pope John Paul II .

www.guardian.co.uk
The Prince of Wales shook hands with the Zimbabwean president, Robert Mugabe, at the funeral of Pope John Paul II today.

President Mugabe has just won an election in which criticism of Britain and the prime minister, Tony Blair, was a main plank of his party's campaign.

Last year British Foreign Secretary Jack Straw was condemned after he shook hands with the president at a United Nations summit in New York.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Wow, how does he do it?

I usually have quite a a bit of sympathy for Charles, but this is way to unconcious from the next king of Britain.

They say he was caught by surprise. Wasn't he briefed on who he was sitting besides?

I'm stunned.

Related News Links:
news.scotsman.com

[edit: headline grammar]

[edit on 8/4/05 by gekko]

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Hehe, that's hilarious. Still, what is a decent man to do when someone reaches out his hand to shake? Politeness overrules politics.

Zip

[edit on 8-4-2005 by Zipdot]

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Just when you think he's hit bottom, he digs further and makes a new low. How embarrassing this must be for Britain and the Prime Minister!

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 02:35 PM
link   
We criticize his sons for being teenagers and young men, but when he makes a blunder it's that he was caught by surprise. I hope he dies before his mom and makes one of the two sons king. They deserve it more. more charming...and probably have enough sense to distance themselves from precarious situations.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Still, what is a decent man to do when someone reaches out his hand to shake?

I would normally agree, but this is Mugabe for gods sake. I don't think Churchill would have shook hands with Hitler, but then again, Churchill wasn't best known for his politeness...

Edit: formating blunder...

[edit on 8/4/05 by gekko]

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   

I hope he dies before his mom and makes one of the two sons king.

I certainly don't wish for his death. Abdication though...

Not on this issue, but on decades of blunders. I don't think he is well suited for the job of the UKs highest profile ambassador.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   
People come on, big deal.

Mugabe may be an SOB but in an official setting there is nothing wrong with greeting somebody, even an adversary. Maybe for just one day the politics and skeletons in various closets should be set aside.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by CAConrad825
more charming...and probably have enough sense to distance themselves from precarious situations.

You mean like showing up at a costume party in a Nazi Uniform, complete with arm band?
Seems more to me like the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

No big deal with shaking a man's hand, even if he is a bastard. A hand shake is also just a simple greeting, and does not show he is condoning the man's behaviour.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Mugabe. Nice to see you...

ATS: Jack Straw didn`t see Mugabe in the darkness

[edit on 2005/4/8 by Hellmutt]

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Nazi uniform a prank. Shaking hands with a sworn enemy and underming your countries Prime Minister. Also, cheating on your wife and bringing shame to the crown? I do believe that the crown is heavy on the head that wears it but still...at least the boys could learn how to be diplomatic in a diplomatic situation.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I think given the circumstances and the setting, there was little else anyone could do, without making a very big mess of the solemn event. I think the Pope would be proud to see enemies shaking hands. It's not popular these days to look at the bright side of religious conviction, but such a gesture is, in fact, the hallmark of Christianity.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 10:49 PM
link   
him shaking hands with mugabe aint that big a deal, i mean the president of israelwas seated close to the presidents of syria and iran. where else do you think such mortal enemies can be so close together.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 11:03 PM
link   
you know it is only correct to shake hands at an event like this even with a mortal enimy. this is only as pope jp2 would have wanted. the putting aside of differances for such a small time. just as th booing of bush was in bad form for the occasion.

and just for the record i believe that winston chuchill shook hands with stalian, even though he thought that the communists were the scum of the earth (he may actualy have held hittler in higher regaurd). the comunists did after all kill the realitives of the king.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 11:06 PM
link   
To tell you the truth look at it from every angle.

You're at the Pope's funeral.
You have every press group around you.
The Middle East Leaders actually shook hands.
Mugabe offers to shake your hand.

If he turned around and said no, he would have cause a scene at the funeral of the Pope a man who for years tried to get world peace. It would show more disrespect to have not shook his hand then to do it. This is just people trying to soil the poor guy.

Imagine what would have been said if he refused?

"Prince Charles makes Mockery of Pope's Funeral" yep, that news paper title would have made the Sun enough money, now wouldn't it?

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 11:11 PM
link   
you aremost likely correct

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I agree that what Charles did was acceptable.

Charles was there as a representative of Britain, not for himself. With the same token, Mugabe was there as arepresentative of Zimbabwe. The hand shake was in respect of the countries, not their leaders.

Just the same as you salute the rank and not the officer in the military, the same applies here.

It was also in keeping with the occasion, you dont make political statements at a peace-striving Pope's funeral.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Good points.

You know however, that Mugabe will use the handshake politicly or PR wise for all it's worth. Hopefully it's not worth that much.

Popes funeral or not, shaking hands IS a sign of respect, not only for the country, but for the man. And Mugabe is one man not worthy of respect form anyone.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 12:01 PM
link   
WHO CARES?

What is he meant to do? Just ignore him?

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I care. Mugabe is one of the biggest bastards to rule any country today. Hell, I think he's even worse than Bush.

I would have preferred him to get a punch in the face, but considering it was a funeral, pretending not to notice him would have been better.

new topics

top topics

join