It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EXCLUSIVE: Cause of X-43A Hyper-X Crash Identified

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2003 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Finally...
I have been researching this project for years. And kind of wondered what the hell they were doing last two years, it was so quiet.

I just saw this three day old article on space.com, why didn't anyone post ths before

Check out this space.com article:
www.space.com...
It seems they made some errors in wind tunnel testings.

SPACE.com has learned that the failure of the NASA X-43A hypersonic aircraft in June 2001 was the result of inaccuracies in computer and wind-tunnel tests that were based on insufficient design information about the vehicle itself.

posted on Jul, 21 2003 @ 11:12 PM
link   
The root of the whole problem is NASA. Or maybe even more.....lack of money. NASA's funding has been getting walloped. In respect to fewer funds/funding, they are having to do "cost saving" measures.....the X-43A is a prime example. Be honest, thats probably one of the major problems with the shuttle program.

When a problem is found, instead of replacing the part, per se', they are trying to repair an otherwise obviously broken part. Hence, trying to save money. (And yes, I know this is not ht ecase with X-47A, but it serves a point...)

If space is to be a true frontier for exploration, commerce, science, etc., NASA needs to be streamlined and then properely funded. Simply "repairing" an obviously broken part instead of replacing it, especially in light of the mega-millions invovled in a space vehicle, is quite costly and unfounded.

That article almost reads or eludes to NASA knowing, because of the apparent "short-cuts" they utilized, they might have problems with the X-43A......like "duh"!!....helllloooo!?! If you know that you might have problems with a mega-million dollar aircraft and yet still proceed knowing this.......nuff' said. Time to clean house.....

Reminds me of the look on those fools faces when they realized what a piece of foam would do if it impacted with the shuttles wing...........?!?!?!

Makes me wonder if I would even let those nim-wits work on my car....shesh!

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 22-7-2003 by Seekerof]

[Edited on 22-7-2003 by Seekerof]

posted on Jul, 23 2003 @ 01:24 AM
link   
hehehe, just found another......

regards
seekerof

posted on Jul, 23 2003 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Glad you found that article Zion. It had been so long since the failure of that test and without ever hearing any explanations... I had actually forgotten about it. The humiliation!

posted on Jul, 24 2003 @ 06:06 AM
link   
They released the official X-43a mishap investigation report:

www.nasa.gov...
It's a long but pretty good read, detailed timeline of what went wrong.

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Gee, the program is still alive...

www.space.com...

X-43A: High Hopes For Return to Flight

Rausch said that the Hyper-X team is shooting for the X-43A re-flight no later than mid-November. "We�re doing our best to beat that."

Launch might take place earlier, in mid-October, but "given that the stars all align properly, Rausch said.

Finally, I have been waiting for this for two years...

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Thats good news Zion. I think this is in direct response to the Project Falcon considerations. If they can get the X-43A up to speed and fully tested, this will allow for what Project Falcon is being planned for: the ability to deliver weapon to anywhere in the world in less than two hours.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Yes it would be a great leap forward of all goes well in the next test flight(s).
I wonder if the Australians are still working on their hypersonic program...they had a succesfull test flight last year.
Time to google a bit on that...

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I couldn't find anything recent concerning the Australian hypersonic vehicle other than info on the problems they had. What I found was a statement that they would be doing up to 10 tests between 2001 and 2005 and that they are currently lacking funding to complete those tests.

I hope you have better luck Zion. I'm sure you have access to sites I haven't even thought of or, for that matter, found yet.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Update or recent news on the X-43A Zion:
Just found this:

"Captive Carry Test Prepares NASA For Next Hyper-X"
Link:
www.nasa.gov...

Excerpt:

"The second of three unpiloted X-43A vehicles in NASA's Hyper-X program is being prepared for a no earlier than Jan 24, 2004, captive carry flight, which is the dress rehearsal for its free flight currently scheduled for Feb. 21, 2004.

Pending thorough evaluation of all flight data, the captive-carry test could lead to the December flight of the X-43A stack. The stack, consisting of the X-43A and its modified Pegasus booster will be air-launched by NASA's B-52 carrier aircraft at 40,000 feet altitude. The booster will accelerate the experimental vehicle to Mach 7 at approximately 95,000 feet altitude. At booster burnout, the X-43 will separate and fly under its own power on a preprogrammed path.

Distinctive to the X-43A is the blending of its integrated airframe with a scramjet or supersonic combustion ramjet engine, intended to make the X-43A the first air-breathing hypersonic vehicle in free flight. The hydrogen-fueled aircraft has a wingspan of approximately 5 feet, measures 12 feet long and weighs about 2,800 pounds.

The flight of vehicle two is programmed for Mach 7 - seven times the speed of sound. The third vehicle of the series is planned to reach Mach 10. Using an air-breathing scramjet engine instead of conventional rocket power, the X-43A could be the forerunner in providing faster, more reliable and less expensive access to space. A scramjet uses oxygen from the atmosphere, unlike rockets that must carry oxidizer onboard. This could enable scramjet vehicles to carry bigger payloads, travel farther, or be smaller than comparable rocket vehicles."

Good news indeed.

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 21-1-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Excellent post Zion!

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 09:45 PM
link   
The wings came off? How hard is it to ensure the wings stay on?

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 01:20 PM
link   
NASA News
National Aeronautics and
Space Administration
Dryden Flight Research Center
P.O. Box 273
Edwards, California 93523
Voice (661) 276-3449
FAX (661) 276-3566

January 22, 2004

Michael Braukus Headquarters, Washington
(Phone: 202/358-1979)

Leslie Williams
Dryden Flight Research Center, Edwards, Calif.
(Phone: 661/276-3893)

Keith Henry
Langley Research Center, Hampton, Va.
(Phone: 757/864-6120)

RELEASE: 04-02

CAPTIVE CARRY TEST PREPARES NASA FOR NEXT HYPER-X FLIGHT

The second of three unpiloted X-43A vehicles in NASA's Hyper-X program is being prepared for a no earlier than Jan 24, 2004, captive carry flight, which is the dress rehearsal for its free flight currently scheduled for Feb. 21, 2004.

Pending thorough evaluation of all flight data, the captive-carry test could lead to the February launch of the X-43A stack. The stack, consisting of the X-43A and its modified Pegasus booster will be air-launched by NASA's B-52 carrier aircraft at 40,000 feet altitude. The booster will accelerate the X-43A to Mach 7 at approximately 95,000 feet altitude. At booster burnout, the X-43 will separate and fly under its own power on a preprogrammed path.

Distinctive to the X-43A is the blending of its integrated airframe with a scramjet or supersonic combustion ramjet engine, intended to make the X-43A the first air-breathing hypersonic vehicle in free flight. The hydrogen-fueled aircraft has a wingspan of approximately 5 feet, measures 12 feet long and weighs about 2,800 pounds.

The flight of vehicle two is programmed for Mach 7 - seven times the speed of sound. The third vehicle of the series is planned to reach Mach 10. Using an air-breathing scramjet engine instead of conventional rocket power, the X-43A could be the forerunner in providing faster, more reliable and less expensive access to space. A scramjet uses oxygen from the atmosphere, unlike rockets that must carry oxidizer onboard. This could enable scramjet vehicles to carry bigger payloads, travel farther, or be smaller than comparable rocket vehicles.

On June 2, 2001, the first X-43A vehicle was lost moments after the stack was released from the wing of the B-52. Following booster ignition, the combined booster and X-43A vehicle deviated from its flight path and was deliberately terminated.

Investigation into the mishap showed that there was no single contributing factor but the root cause of the booster going off its trajectory was resolved through development of better analytical models and modification of the control system in the booster. Now, the booster will carry less propellant and will be released from 40,000 feet instead of 20,000 feet as was done in the first flight.

Pegasus's normal launch altitude of 40,000 feet is beneficial due to the lower air density at this altitude. This reduces loads on the booster fins. To launch at this altitude and still end up at the correct test conditions of 95,000 feet and Mach 7 required removal of about 3,500 pounds of the propellant from the solid rocket motor.

The experimental aircraft will fly in the Naval Air Warfare Center Weapons Division Sea Range over the Pacific Ocean off the coast of southern California, where after powered flight, it will glide to a safe impact and sink. NASA's Langley Research Center, Hampton, Va., and Dryden Flight Research Center, Edwards, Calif., conduct the Hyper-X program jointly.

Allied Aerospace Industries in Tullahoma, Tenn., built both the vehicle and the engine, and Boeing North American in Huntington Beach, Calif., designed the thermal protection and propulsion control systems. The booster is a modified Pegasus rocket from Orbital Sciences Corp. Chandler, Ariz. The Hyper-X program is part of NASA's Next Generation Launch Technology program.

- NASA -

Note to Editors/News Directors: Media who plan to go to the runway to observe and photograph the B-52/X-43A stack takeoff must contact the NASA Dryden Public Affairs Office at 661-276-3449 immediately. The west gate off highway 14 at Rosamond, Calif., will be the only entrance for media.

Still photos and video footage will be available from the Dryden Public Affairs Office to support this release four hours after the return of the B-52.

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 01:28 PM
link   
ahh finally more test flights, I've been waiting two years for this

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 06:14 AM
link   
www.space.com...

here is some more about it from space.com

posted on Jan, 28 2004 @ 12:34 AM
link   
NASA News
National Aeronautics and
Space Administration
Dryden Flight Research Center
P.O. Box 273
Edwards, California 93523
Phone (661) 276-3449
FAX (661) 276-3566 __
January 27, 2004

Leslie Williams
Dryden Flight Research Center, Edwards, Calif.
(Phone: 661/276-3893)
[email protected]

Michael Braukus
Headquarters, Washington
(Phone: 202/358-1979)

Keith Henry
Langley Research Center, Hampton, Va.
(Phone: 757/864-6120)

RELEASE: 04-03

DRESS REHEARSAL FLIGHT OF X-43A SUCCESSFUL; FREE FLIGHT SOON

The NASA X-43A hypersonic research vehicle and its Pegasus booster rocket, mounted beneath the wing of their B-52 mother ship, had a successful captive-carry flight Jan. 26, 2004. A dress rehearsal for the subsequent free flight, the captive-carry flight kept the X-43A-and-Pegasus combination attached to the B-52's wing pylon throughout the two-hour mission. The flight originated from NASA's Dryden Flight Research Center on Edwards Air Force Base, Calif., flying over the Pacific Missile Test Range, and back to Dryden.

After taking off from Dryden at 3:21 p.m. PST, the B-52 crossed the California coast on a predetermined flight path, and returned to Dryden for a 5:28 p.m. PST landing.

"The flight went very smoothly. Our only concern was potential turbulence at high altitudes but as it turned out we didn't have any," said Paul Reukauf, Dryden's X-43A deputy project manager. "We met all our objectives for the flight now."

Reukauf said the team is now readying for a launch of the X-43A, tentatively scheduled for Feb. 21. This high-risk exploration of supersonic combustion ramjet (scramjet) technology, intended to take place at seven times the speed of sound, will be conducted in restricted Navy airspace over the ocean.

- NASA -

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Testing Mishap to Delay X-43A Flight At Least a Month

NASA has postponed the launch of its second X-43A hypersonic research vehicle at least a month to repair a booster that was damaged in a factory mishap. The launch, which had been scheduled for Feb. 21, now is not expected to occur until late March or early April.

www.space.com...

A factory mishap?! DOH!

[Edited on 18-2-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 11:10 AM
link   
What else is new?? There are always mistakes being done and the project keeps getting postponed, maybe someone from ATS should go to the runway and take snapshots and post em on the website.

Other than that, amazing aircraft, imagine a bigger version and ppl in it

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Hyper-X: Return-to-Flight Planned, March 27th!!

abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Makes me wonder if Bush was serious about colonizing the moon. If he's serious we might have a solution to the funding problem. Also NASA might be able to not waste as much money on shuttle explosions and such...

new topics

top topics

join