It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

extranational

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 01:35 PM
link   
stupid question .. as a french guy , should i feel comfortable here knowing that my english is not that good (or arab, chinese , whatever..) does it shock people when they see a weird phrase construction or this board got no borders ?? I try to write the best english i can myself (sorry for the mistakes) and i know some people would like to post (my german friend etc..) , don't you think even a section for different languages than english would be a cool thing or not?

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   
You are fine, you are much better than me and English is my only language.

JAK

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   
kalki you should feel as comfortable as anyone here.

The fact that English is not your mother tongue is neither here nor there. I for one cannot speak any other language and admire those who can.

Anyone who might judge you based on that fact and not the relevant thread matter is foolish, and smears their own character more than anything.

Jack

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 01:46 PM
link   
oh thanks for that warm candle Jak

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 01:49 PM
link   
We try to be as understanding as possible here. As long as the point is made as coherently as possible go for it. It is when discussion becomes impossible to follow that it becomes problematic.

This site is predominantly English in membership, thus all the content reflects that. There may be similar conspiracy sites in your native language, this just isn't it.

Si vous aimeriez écrire en français vous pouvez m'envoyer un U2U et j'essaierai de répondre, mais je ne pense pas qu-il serait bon sur le site web. Je m'excuse mon français n'est pas bon.

Peace,
Lukefj

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Your English is fine. Your punctuation and capitalization could use some attention. Probably half the American population would do anything, except study, to write as well as you do.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Your English is fine. I have a lot of respect for those who know their language and then learn English. As many Americans, I know only English.

I hope you are comfortable posting around here and I hope you will tell your friends about ATS and that they will feel at ease posting here.
I'm sure it can only benefit ATS to have many diverse opinions and ideas.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   
lets put it this way i didn't realize english wasn't your first language. heck it's mine but my spelling realy sucks, same for my typeing skills. we all do the best we can.if someone can't figure out what you are trying to say i'm sure they will ask. other than that don't take too much offence if someone thinks you meant what you did not mean. just quietly try to correct it, missunderstandings seem to happen quite frequently arround here anyway.

ps. being from ontario i should know french but do to idiocy in the school systom i didn't have a chance to learn it untill grade nine(i didn't do too well at it either)

[edit on 8-4-2005 by drogo]

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   
By posting this, you tested how able we were to read what you said. Why, if you got responses saying "WHAT?!?!" then you'd now you're off. Smart, very smart...

You'll fit in nicely here.

Your English is fine, it's great even. Better than most I know.

Now, your REAL problem is that you're French.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer

I beg your pardon!?

you must come from new york .. you terrorist!

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by kalki

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer

I beg your pardon!?

you must come from new york .. you terrorist!

How is he a terrorist? And whats wrong with being French? I'm partially French

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Suffice to say I'm a funny, funny man.

I missed something originally.

don't you think even a section for different languages than english would be a cool thing or not?

The problem is that it's much harder to moderate. You don't know if someone is breaking the T&C or not. And to get people who speak the language that well is hard. Not to mention you'll need to have support for languages on your computer. And the extra server load for what will only be repeated material. Language as it relates to a conspiracy can be discussed in English.

You're welcome to use other languages if need be, just give a translation along with it. Luke here is safe, 'cause I can read french. Kinda.

Mon français n'est pas bon aussi, mai je parle englais très bien!

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 09:16 PM
link   
You're fine kalki. You're posts are more legible than some whose first language is supposedly English. Don't worry.

[edit on 4/10/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Your english is better than some American posts I've seen. Most Americans (myself included) are self centered and tend to think every post is another American.

You might include something in your profile to indicate you are from France. That would help us from thinking of you as a "dumb American".

Please post and give us your opinions. It helps to see how other nations view things.

Our gasoline prices have risen by 25% since January. I've heard that is because the price of oil is now based on the Euro instead of the dollar. Our media is not reporting this. Is it true? And what has been happening with your price of gasoline?

[edit on 4/11/05 by Qwas]

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by kalki
stupid question .. as a french guy , should i feel comfortable here knowing that my english is not that good (or arab, chinese , whatever..) does it shock people when they see a weird phrase construction or this board got no borders ?? I try to write the best english i can myself (sorry for the mistakes) and i know some people would like to post (my german friend etc..) , don't you think even a section for different languages than english would be a cool thing or not?

Look at it this way I probably sound weird to and guess what my primary language is broken french and english better know as cajun or creol. And I was born in american an english country or atleast the goverment feels it must be that way. Multi lingual richness is something I have always enjoyed I think it is the cornerstone of tolerance and brotherhood. Just do your best to what you feel is a quality statement and let all the others be damned.

OH and dont bother with racially profiling yourself , if you put it in your profile your are a french person , etc then let it be because of your pride in your heritage. Dont put it in there to satisfy a person who cant just be a courtious person and understand people dont all think and act just like they want....

If you feel placing nationality in your profile suits you then do it.

[edit on 11/4/2005 by drbryankkruta]

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I have the same problem sometimes, I come from Germany.

I would love to post more material on this board or follow more conversations and answer much more. But that is impossible for me, because it isn´t my "mother language".

I do my best.

Let´s unite French neighbour

regards

dc

[edit on 11-4-2005 by dacruz]

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Qwas

You might include something in your profile to indicate you are from France. That would help us from thinking of you as a "dumb American".

Please post and give us your opinions. It helps to see how other nations view things.

Our gasoline prices have risen by 25% since January. I've heard that is because the price of oil is now based on the Euro instead of the dollar. Our media is not reporting this. Is it true? And what has been happening with your price of gasoline?

[edit on 4/11/05 by Qwas]

hum i'm from montreal , quebec , canada.. (geez now the grc know where i am :duh
look its not Euros here its cheap bucks ..we have the queen elizabeth II on our bills but.. yeah nothern neighboor. And i must admit i dont care about gas prices since i'm puttin recycled veggie oil in.

top topics

join